Books on Duke- Past Discussion (Archive)

There are 467 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 222,045 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• hi all

i dont know if this is the right place for this but downunder they have released a 46 issue collection on john wayne it is called "the classic JOHN WAYNE collection" it comes with a booklet and a DVD. the booklet talks about the dvd, the making of the movie, has a star profile on one of the actors in the movie and a section called the hollywood machine- this section is where directors talk about how the movie influenced their moving making skills.

i got the first issue today and its on the searchers, only 45 more to go

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Hi,
    I have read this recently. It is a great book of course and pretty accurate in details. But for me it was hard to go through all political issues and wide picture of US history in which I nearly drawn. So for a pity (don't think I'm a complete fool) I like Shooting Star more as well as memories about Duke (Pat Stasy, Aissa's, Pilar's). But I'm hope to return to this book someday.
    Regards,
    Vera

• The Three Godfathers by Peter B. Kyne published in 1924 - This short book is a very good read. The Posse chase isn't in the book, but the finding of the woman and baby is the same. Some of the dialogue in the movie is taken right out of the book. There are other slight differences in the book from the movie, but an interesting read none the less.

Mother Machree by Rida Johnson Young. - I have never seen the movie, but the book is interesting so far (I havn't finished reading it as of this post). The book was published in 1924 and has several pictures of the scenes from the photoplay (A William Fox Production). I have learned from the book that Mother Macree means Mother, my dearest :teeth_smile:

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Hi

Some years ago when I began collecting books on John wayne and John Ford I noticed a book called The John Ford Mystery. I ordered it from HWSmiths and when it arrived I found that it referred to a 15th century phillosopher or something.

Later going into a bookshop I found The John Ford Movie Mystery by Andrew Sarris priced at £7.00 and left it there on the shelf where it remained until Friday when I went in and bought it. It is in the Cinema One Series and published by Secker and Warburg in association with the British Film Institution.

It seems to be quite a critical study of Ford and goes through most of his films argueing that most of his early work has never been seen. there is obviously much Duke Wayne context in the book looking forward to reading it.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Thanks, Arthur,
    I'll be waiting. You know I can't name myself a collector of books about Duke and Ford, but if I see one - nobody can take it away from me LOL. I regulary pick up something at abebooks mostly, but I didn't order new ones until I finish existing. So I'm very slow on that.
    But your recomendations and critics are always preshios.
    Regards,
    Vera

• Hi

I have just got home from work and found volume 9 of Tim Lilley's The Trail Beyond. I can't believe that I have received it before Christmas (well done Tim for that) or that it is up to Volume 9 already (lucky is he who has all nine):thumbs_up:

It looks like it has retained its high standard of content and interest.

of special interest to me is the article on Adventures End particularly as earlier this year I asked Tim if he considered the film to be lost and he replied that he was writing an article for this years publication.

Like most things as you follow publications like Tims you don't notice the years going by, but this is like travelling down the road with an old friend and I for one hope it can continue.

regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low