Books on Duke- Past Discussion (Archive)

There are 467 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 222,110 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi

I have just finished reading Andrew Sarris's book The John Ford Movie Mystery. I must admit I quickened the pace the more I got into it.

Sarris says often that he is an admirerer of John Ford but at times you wonder if that is the case, as he is quite critical of Fords work.

The book is roughly split into three sections with the first dealing from the early years and his silent pictures and just into his career in sound. Sarris uses this period to indicate Ford learning his craft and making his name in the industry.

The second deals with his career from the mid 30s through to just after the war in which having established his reputation he made films such as The Informer, The Grapes of Wrath, Young Mr Lincoln, Stagecoach, Drums Along the Mohawk and How Green was My Valley.

The final part covers from 1949 to the end of his career and in which Sarris almost accusses Ford of just sitting back concentrating on westerns and safe pictures going into his dotage.

Strange words coming from an admirer.

Although this is not in the book during the McCarthy hearings when the Screen Directors Guild led by Cecil B DeMille tried to get the Guild President ousted. Ford got up to address the meeting introducing himself saying "My Name is John Ford and I make westerns!"

After finishing The Iron Horse in 1924 Ford did not make his next western until Stagecoach in 1939 and after completing Drums Along The Mohawk in the same year he did not make a western until My Darling Clementine in 1946.

Sarris main criticism of Ford is the fact that from 1949 onward he concentrated on his supposed Irishness and comedy using his "Stock Company" over and over again.

I think this is slighly unfair as Fort Apache, has little comedy although Rio Grande has elements of comedy as has She Wore A Yellow Ribbon.

Sarris also uses the theory that Ford uses his later films Sergeant Rutledge and Cheyenne Autumn in atonement for his and Hollywoods treatment of the African Americans and the Indians.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi Arthur,
    It is really very interesting, but after your comments I don't really know if I want to read the book itself. What I want - to see all others Ford's movies, which I haven't seen yet. Expecially silents. I've seen all his movies with Duke, Drums along the Mohowk, Mogambo, Grapes of Wrath and My Darling Clementine. Recntly many movies was released even here. The latest Ford movie which appered here is Young Mr.Lincoln. I'm waiting for my copy now. As for books - I shall wait a little, until I saw more of his movies.
    The author seems to have some strange opinions about Ford. What I'm sure want to read is Bogdanovich about Ford, he sure well understands him.
    Regards,
    Vera

• Hi

I have just noticed (or I should say) I have just reached the inside page of the back cover of The Trail Beyond and found that Tim has written that the next edition of the Trail Beyond will be the last.

Tim Lilley has dedicated most of his life to producing written work about John Wayne from the Big Trail, his Campfire series of interviews and finally The Trail Beyond.

John Wayne fans everywhere owe Tim a huge debt and I for one will miss his books but wish him every success in the future as well as giving him my sincere thanks for a job very well done.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

I have just finished reading Hollywood Trail boss by the director Burt Kennedy. its a bit lightweight but one chapter is about John Wayne and there are other references to Duke through the book.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• The next time you decide to buy a book, IHW, go to this site. You can probably get it a lot cheaper. For instance, I think I paid about 12 US dollars (plus 3 or 4 S/H) for my copy of "John Wayne - American".

Another very readable Will Henry book is titled "No Survivors", which is about a Confederate veteran who is captured by the Sioux and adopted into the tribe.

When I first saw Costner's "Dances With Wolves", I was almost sure it had been based on Henry's book but discovered it wasn't.

Anyone who enjoys good reading can obtain a hardback copy of the book on abebooks for less than $10. I almost guarantee you'll like the story.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Thanks, Stuumpy, for this great link / recommendation. I've already checked itt out and added about 6 books to my cart.

Much appreciated..!!

You're welcome, Mark and glad to have you as a member of the group.

BTW, before you order any books from abebooks, be sure and check out the seller's rating from past buyers. I've only been burned once but that's too many times, IMO.

It's incredible what you can find on that site though. A few years ago, I managed to buy a favorite book from my childhood back in the Forties, believe it or not.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• "John Wayne: American" and Pat Stacy's book, I agree, are about the best.

Another that comes to mind is one with a title like "Duke, We Hardly Knew You" which is full of memories of working with Duke by co-stars as well as friends. Another I would recommend is Pilar Wayne's book--certainly a different viewpoint and very interesting. Also a book co authored by Duke's makeup man Dave Grayson which is very candid and funny.

There is also a book on the making of "The Alamo" that is made up mainly of behind the scenes pictures, showing Duke at work on a project he loved.

• Hi Jim

Thinking about your book 'No Survivors' Rod Steiger's 'Run of the Arrow' seems to have a similar theme about the Confederate who fires the last bullet in the Civil War, refuses to take the oath and gets captured by the Sioux and joins the tribe.
    The film also featured Jay C Flippen, Ralph Meeker and Brian Kieth amongst others.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi,
    I wonder if a book upon Duke's sixties and seventies Westerns period exist.
    Have a nice day,
    Kalmouk

• Hi Kalmouk,

In answer to your question.
    Many books about Duke and most of his Biogs,
    contain aspects of all his movies.
    Many giving behind the scenes information,
    screening dates etc.

The John Wayne Filmography. By Fred Landesman
    John Wayne: American,

are two!

The Complete Films of John Wayne
    The Official John Wayne Reference Book

both have at least one page dedicated to each movie,
    Cast,release dates, trivia etc.

Ther are also many books/booklets available relating to
    a particular movie, The Alamo, The Searchers etc.

If you go back to the top of this thread,
    you will find a list, which is constantly,
    being superceded, as new volumes are released.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Keith, Bill,
    Thanks a lot. What a nice picture of young Duke with his family in the Ranch book. Great,
    Kalmouk

• Mike,

Looking into the U.S. book data base, we are getting the same result. I have never seen this book myself. Interesting that no author is listed except Biographiq, which is also the publisher. I see it only has 52 pages here in the states, so it looks like a short book. The price here is $9.99. Seems a little high for so little a book.

Maybe someone else can enlighten you with more information.

Cheers :cool: Hondo ~ Mike

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote