Annie Laurie (1927)

There are 14 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 21,902 times. The latest Post () was by chester7777.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• ANNIE LAURIE

DIRECTED BY JOHN S. ROBERTSON
    METRO-GOLDWYN-MAYER

Information From IMDb

Plot Summary
    Lillian Gish plays Annie Laurie, who's father tryies to mediate
    the feud between the MacDonalds and Campbells
    in mid eighteenth century Scotland.
    Annie Laurie falls in love with Ian MacDonald,
    son of the MacDonald chieftain and ends up in the middle
    of a treacherous massacre by the Campbells.
    edited by ethanedwards

Full Cast
    Lillian Gish ... Annie Laurie
    Norman Kerry ... Ian Macdonald
    Creighton Hale ... Donald
    Joseph Striker ... Alastair
    Hobart Bosworth ... The MacDonald Chieftain
    Patricia Avery ... Enid
    Russell Simpson ... Sandy
    Brandon Hurst ... The Campbell Chieftain
    David Torrence ... Sir Robert Laurie
    Frank Currier ... Cameron of Lochiel
    Richard Alexander ... One of the MacDonalds (uncredited)
    Mary Gordon ... First Midwife (uncredited)
    Carmencita Johnson ... Baby (uncredited)
    Henry Kolker ... King's Representative (uncredited)
    Margaret Mann ... Second Midwife (uncredited)
    Carl 'Major' Roup ... (uncredited)
    Duke Morrison ... Extra (uncredited)

Writing Credits
    Marian Ainslee titles
    Ruth Cummings titles
    Josephine Lovett screenplay
    Josephine Lovett story

Original Music
    William Axt (uncredited)
    David Mendoza (uncredited)

Cinematography
    Oliver T. Marsh

Trivia
    Movie Status
    In 1987, a film collector donated a copy of this film to the Oregon Historical Society
    which then gave the film to the Library of Congress for restoration.

Filming Locations
    Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios - 10202 W. Washington Blvd., Culver City, California, USA

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 9 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Annie Laurie is a 1927 silent film directed by John S. Robertson,
    released by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, and starring Lillian Gish and Norman Kerry.

This was the third film of Lillian Gish at MGM,
    and its poor boxoffice returns marked a decline in the star's career.
    On a down note Gish stated that her mother became ill
    during the production of this film and that "...
    she only showed up for work" as opposed to putting her all into the film.
    John Wayne makes an early film appearance as a crowd extra.

In the Spring of 1926, Just after Brown Of Harvard
    and Bardelys The Magnifcent,
    near the end of Duke's second semester ar USC,
    he worked as an extra on the movie.

Iron Eyes Cody and Indian actor at the time
    remembered Duke taking some screen tests at MGM
    but didn't pass.

User Review

20 October 2002 | by kdowling (United States)

A copy of this film was recently found and restored by the U.S. Library of Congress. It is well written, directed, acted and filmed. It is about the need to end cycles of vendettas and the courage required to say that you will not allow the cycle of death and hatred to continue. It is about the fact that humans by nature are loving and that only a perverse heart hates indefinitely. This is a story about courage and the cowardice of people who misuse power to their own petty ends.

Some dangerous stunts from a time in which leads did their own stunt work. Miss Gish's fall down a mountain face might not have been as dangerous as jumping around on ice flows as in Way Down East. Yet it reminds us of a time when actors no only did their own stunts in uncontrolled environments but COULD ACT as well!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• What a timely post this is Keith thanks!

I NOW HAVE A COPY OF THIS FILM ON DVD. Anyone interested please PM me

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• Elli, You mentioned having a copy of "Annie Laurie" I am intersted in obtaining a copy for my John Wayne Collection. This is one of very few I do not have. Please email me at: genegerm(at)gmail.com. Thanks, Jim

• Elly, I am interested in obtaining a copy of "Annie Lauruie" Can you help me. See the next posting for my email address, Jim

• Elli, You mentioned having a copy of "Annie Laurie" I am intersted in obtaining a copy for my John Wayne Collection. This is one of very few I do not have. Please email me at: genegerm(at)gmail.com. Thanks, Jim

WELCOME, and just to say,
    Elly is in-active on the board these days, so you
    may not get an answer to your question.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• hi

If you are still with us I am reactive on the board these days LOL If you want a copy send me a PM thanks Elly

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• And I for one am glad you are reactive. :^) Your insights and posts on the early days are part of what drew me here.

Thanks for posting this and hopefully reminding our members of Ellys invaluable contribution to this forum, particularly relating to Dukes' and indeed John Ford's early movies. It takes endless hours to post these lists and information.I have welcomed back Elly by PM

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• And I for one am glad you are reactive. :^) Your insights and posts on the early days are part of what drew me here.

Thank you.

Look out for a small write -up I am just about finishing on the early days and my research into that.

hoping to get it posted in the next few weeks.

• I. “In production on the MGM lot during the summer of 1926, Wayne and several other USC friends worked as costumed extras, wearing kilts, in the film.” Page 202

II. “Duke also worked that semester [second] as an extra in MGM’s Annie Laurie.”

III. I remember working in a Norman Kerry picture at MGM recalled the Duke in a letter on the subject, ‘in which I was dressed in a Scotsman outfit but for the life of me, I could not tell you the name of the picture.’ (the film was Annie Laurie) Vol VI, No 3, October 19899

IV. Print held in Library of Congress.21

V. When viewed by the authors the opening credits on this film list (amongst others) “Lillian Gish, Norman Kerry. Directed by John S. Robertson.”

VI. This film has been viewed by the authors, however the quality is so poor that we were unable to say if John Wayne can be seen in this film or not. We were able to establish that John Wayne’s name does not appear in the opening or closing credits of this film.

With thanks to Elly
    John Wayne Before Stagecoach

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• Elly, I am interested in obtaining a copy of "Annie Lauruie" Can you help me?. My email es [email protected] Thanks in advance, and also for being a John Wayna fan too, as I have been all my life, Álvaro

Elly hasn't been active here for a few years, so please don't take it personally if you don't hear back from her. Wonderful lady, VERY knowledgeable especially about Duke's older pictures.