question about blue ray

There are 40 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 13,967 times. The latest Post () was by Paula.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I tell you, one good thing abut getting a Blu-ray player is that when playing a regular DVD, it will upconvert it to a better quality picture. One good example is Waynes, The Alamo. Right now, it's not coming out on Blu-ray in the forseeable future, but playing it on a Blu-ray player gives you the next best thing. The picture is downright fantastic and I would say it's about a 1/2 step below Blu-ray. In the opening scenes, when Houston is entering San Antonio, you'd swear you were right there on the set as the scene is happening. If any of you have a Blu-ray player, give it a shot and see for yourself.

• Hi Gorch! Hi Dooley! see what your saying about Blue Ray. I say, hats off to you if you want to make the change! My question, what if something comes out in a few years better then Blue Ray? Are you going to update your movies again? See my point? Where does it stop?

• Hi Gorch! Hi Dooley! see what your saying about Blue Ray. I say, hats off to you if you want to make the change! My question, what if something comes out in a few years better then Blue Ray? Are you going to update your movies again? See my point? Where does it stop?

Blu-ray has been out for a few years now. It had competetion with the HD player, but that didn't make the cut. There is something out now that is taking wave. Not sure if it will go far. That is the question. That is Blu-ray 3D. But with that, you have to have the glasses and a 3D Flat screen television. The cost is high, but with all new technology, they do come down. I just don't know if this will take off. I'm not on the bandwagon.

And you have to have the Blu-ray 3D disc. That disc is usually $34.00 (average). Just too high. With Blu-ray 3D that would leave out most of the classics, which I am a big fan.

So there is something else now. We don't know where technology is going. It seems to be in many different directions including downloading on your computer, and smart phone, so I guess you can wait, but you may miss out.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Waynamojim makes a point I meant to mention about the upgraded quality of DVDS on Blu players. If there's now a movie that I only marginally enjoy and it's in my DVD collection, I pass on going up to Blu. But westerns, war movies and a few SF movies are worth the investment to me.

I'm 62 and use the criteria - Do I want to see this again before they set me drooling into a dark corner of the home? If yes, I buy it on sale. If not, who cares.

We deal in lead, friend.

Hi Wtrayah,
    We're not trying to convert you, honestly! But things do change.

VHS had a consumer lifespan of approx 16 years, 1980 for mainstream availability until 2006 when the last studio released on the format.

DVD has actually lasted longer, having started properly in the mainstream in 92 and still going.

Blu ray kicked off in approx 03 so is already 9 years in and may well not last as long as DVD as technology is moving so, so quickly.

I suppose what I'm saying is, bear in mind they will eventually phase out all these systems; anyone tried buying a cassette recently!

Some of the old movies I filmed off the TV years ago I transferred onto DVD, and more recently onto a hard drive, if I hadn't they'd be lost. Some titles get rarer each time formats change. I'm sure we'll find a few Duke titles won't get upgraded to hi def Blu ray.

If DVDs go the same way CDs, for the first time ever this week, downloads make up a larger share of the music industry than physical cd sales, then it'll be difficult to get the hardware to play the older formats.

I'll get off my soapbox box now! I suppose I'm on a one man quest to make sure some of the old films I love, some of which never even made it onto DVD, survive through the ever changing formats.

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

Edited once, last by Dooley ().

• Hondo, you have to look around for some good deals on the 3D discs. Now, I don't have a 3D tv or player, but I do have three 3D movies. The ones I have are Pirates Of The Caribbean 4, Cars 2, and Immortals. They are also combo packs, so they have the 3D disc, the Blu-ray, DVD & Digital Copy. Except Immortals, which only has the 3D, Blu-ray, and digital. I bought them for two reason. One, they were only $2 more than the Blu-ray Combo Pack, and two, I figure one day I'll have a 3D tv and player and will have a small collection by then. I bought them all the first week they were out. The Blu-ray Combo packs were $22.99. If you got the 3D Combo Packs, they were $24.99.

• I should have seen it coming. Finally, I broke down and bought a Blu-Ray player but now can't find a reasonably-priced Blu-Ray copy of my favorite Duke western "Rio Bravo".

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Hi Stumpy,

Try checking BluRay.com. They feature Amazon sales and update the lowest prices daily. I'm still waiting to snag Rio Bravo myself. I have no idea why it's priced so high.
    Comancheros, Horse Soldiers and Hondo are all reasonably priced and the improvement over DVD is shockingly good, at least on my equipment.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Thanks, Gorch. I'll sure look where you suggested.

• Welcome to the Blu ray club!
    Once you're in you won't want to go back DVD!:wink_smile:

Well, Dooley my friend, there's no way I can afford to replace all my DVDs with Blu-Ray editions. I have about 1400 DVDs.

• Well, Dooley my friend, there's no way I can afford to replace all my DVDs with Blu-Ray editions. I have about 1400 DVDs.

:afraid:

1400 DVD's? My goodness, Stumpy, how do you chose what to watch? Just going through all your titles would take a day. lol

I have quite a bit, myself. But I am far behind you. Very far. You won't need to replace all your DVD's with Blu-ray. I am just re-buying the ones where I think the Blu-ray version will be a real treat to the eyes. The new ones I buy, I buy Blu-ray only now.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Hi Mark,
    I have no intention of going through the act of replacing all my DVDs with Blu-Ray versions. I did that once before by replacing my VHS tapes with discs. In the future, I'll just be buying Blu-Rays for my all-time favorite movies, most of which are westerns.
    Jim

• In the interests of perpetuating a "my gun is bigger than your gun discussion" :) -- if you add up all the movies and television I have on VHS (yes, still have some VHS -- you'd be surprised how many titles came out on VHS and never on DVD), laser disc, DVD and Blu-ray, it probably runs into the several thousands. And no, I don't have time to watch everything and I'm pretty sure I'll end up in Boot Hill with many of them unwatched. (Though most of them I saw at some point, if not actually via the actual video in my collection.)

That's how it is with us obsessive collectors. We keep collecting. ;)

And I haven't even mentioned the CDs and books! ;)

My husband has switched to the Kindle for all his reading so we've been able to go through his shelves and give away quite a few of his books. He had a lot of mass market paperbacks he'd never read again as a physical book.

• Well Paula, I always liked VHS better anyway. I could FIX them if they broke and the same with cassettes. Now, get a scratch on a CD or DVD, and they are history! I used to listen to the cassette books while working in my shop. I could stop and go right back to where I was. Then they took them all away at the library and put in the CDs.....most would not work all through the book,and if you stopped, you couldn't find your place again. Technology.......forever changing. KPKEITH

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• Hmmm, never had that problem with VHS'. Times I would have to take them apart and splice them.

Yep, know about the scratch thing, but thanks. I use them in my shop sometimes and when they get bumped by a heavy piece of wood....look out!

Should just stick with music in the shop....CASSETTES, LOL....can splice them also.

Thanks Paula. I am BAD on my equipment, but I wouldn't JUMP on any of it, LOL.....although I may appear to be that kind of person in some of my posts.
    KP

• Hi Paula,
    Reading your posts I'm hardly surprised you have such a collection.
    I have been wading through my VHS tapes and putting them on DVD before the tapes fall apart. Actually now I've started converting the files to mkvs or mpegs to save more room.
    It's amazing how collections grow, it's only when you stop and take a look you see how big they're getting!

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• I hope to really collect one day. Maybe I can if I get an advance on one of the books, although, it will probably be the MY Gibbons one. Then, I will get hold of PETER the expert and find out how to SAVE my collection! Wish I knew all about that stuff. But then, I would want it, and now is NOT the time, LOL! KP

Hi Paula,
    Reading your posts I'm hardly surprised you have such a collection.
    I have been wading through my VHS tapes and putting them on DVD before the tapes fall apart. Actually now I've started converting the files to mkvs or mpegs to save more room.
    It's amazing how collections grow, it's only when you stop and take a look you see how big they're getting!

• Paula, you're not just a collector, you've become a major studio. Maybe you should change your name to MGM. Lol.