Civil War places to visit

There are 29 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 7,213 times. The latest Post () was by kilo 6.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I am in Atlanta again for work. This time it is for 19 days. So that means I have 2 weekends to kill while I am down here. Does anyone know of some good Civil War parks Museums within 2-3 hours of the Atlanta area? I have been to Kennesaw Mountain battlefield and Stone Mountain before. I am looking to get out of "town" and see a few places. I have heard that there is a nice park just south of Chattanooga. Anybody have any recommendations??

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Thanks Shortgrub. I did see Andersonville, I think I may try that out as well as the place up near Chattanooga.

Anyone else know of any places??

-John Wayne

• Are you speaking of the battlefield at Resaca, Ga? That's just a bit south of Chattanooga, and the site of a mid-side battle in May of 1864.

My GGGrandfather was part of the Union Army (from East TN), and was killed when a piece of shell fragment hit him in the head (his brother was marching right behind him, but had to keep moving), and they had to bury there with the other casualties.

• You might want to try Fort Pulaski. It is about 15miles east of Savannah. Open year round. They have period piece fire arms displays and self walking ours.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• Are you speaking of the battlefield at Resaca, Ga? That's just a bit south of Chattanooga, and the site of a mid-side battle in May of 1864.

My GGGrandfather was part of the Union Army (from East TN), and was killed when a piece of shell fragment hit him in the head (his brother was marching right behind him, but had to keep moving), and they had to bury there with the other casualties.

I think it is Chickamagua is the place. But I see it is right on the way up there so I think I will check it out. Thanks.

Side note, that is quite the detailed story about your GGgrandfather. Your family must have wrote that down or done a good job of passing down the story.

-John Wayne

• My GGGrandfather was part of the Union Army (from East TN), and was killed when a piece of shell fragment hit him in the head (his brother was marching right behind him, but had to keep moving), and they had to bury there with the other casualties.

My Great-Great Grandfather was in the 19th Texas Cavalry, a piece of family history of which I'm immensely proud (being the rebel I am :wink_smile: )

He survived the war itself but died not too long afterwards (sometime between 1870 and 1880 as my Great-Grandfather was born in 1870 and the GGGF doesn't show up in the 1880 census, although the rest of the family does)

About 12 years ago, I spent 3 or 4 years traveling all over north Texas and Oklahoma researching my family tree. He was born in Georgia about 1832 but married my GGGM (a Tennessee girl) in the 1850s and they emigrated to Texas in the 1850s, settling in Navarro County near the site of present-day Corsicana. I located her gravesite in the Oklahoma Panhandle (she was born in 1835 and died in 1916) but I've never been able to find his. I've also never been able to connect him to a particular family in Georgia.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I asked a friend who is a military history expert who lives in Atlanta (a mile from me) about Civil War sites and he wrote back:

Chattanooga is good but the Cyclorama (at the Zoo) and the Historical Society (West Paces Ferry Road) are much closer. In Columbus, there is the Confederate Naval Museum and the revamped US Army Infantry Museum. At Big Shanty (near Marietta), there is a museum commemorating the Locomotive Chase (it began outside the museum with the snatch of the locomotive by Union commandos).

One of the cool things about Atlanta and environs is that practically every place you go is a Civil War site. I see plaques all over the place commemorating, for instance, a battle that took place right where you're now waiting in traffic for the light to change to green. :)

• OK - I was just wondering, as I do genealogy research as well, and with my roots being firmly in East TN (Oak Ridge, Knoxville area), I'm naturally interested!

Off the top of my head, I seem to recall her birthplace was in the western third of the state. I had cataract surgery this morning so can't see all that well right now or I imagine I could pick the county just by looking at a map of Tennessee. Her maiden name was Elizabeth Jane McLeod.

• I wish you the best in your recovery, my friend! It would not be a stretch for the records to reflect that she did indeed come from the western part of the state to TX during that time frame, as this was a time of migration for a lot of those folks - to TX, AR, the OK territory, and points further west.

There is, of course, no hurry on any of this! Read your peepers, and for goodness' sake, don't pull a Jack Ford and mess it all up!!

• I just looked at a map of Tennessee counties and I'm almost positive she was born in Decatur County. Of course, until I can find the census page I'm looking for, I can't verify that.

• That name is familiar in my family database.

The names of Elizabeth's parents were Roderick and Flora and they were both born in eastern Tennessee or one of the Carolinas, I forget which.
    And their parents came from Scotland, naturally.

Oh, another name in that household was either Susan or Nancy (I forget which but it was one or the other) and she was Elizabeth's sister.

I'll keep looking for that census sheet.