Duke's Movies- Blu-Ray/DVD Releases

There are 287 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 192,864 times. The latest Post () was by Paula.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Four of Duke's Three Mesquiteers movies are arriving on DVD/Blu-Ray!

• Four of Duke's Three Mesquiteers movies are arriving on DVD/Blu-Ray!

Thanks for the heads up, although its a random selection to say the least!
    My copies are so ropey they are barely watchable so I'm not holding out much hope for a Fort Apache level of quality transfer.

What I do not understand are the Blu ray releases.
    We're getting Three Texas Steers, which has some guy in a Gorilla suit as a main character, but no Alamo, Quiet Man or Red River for instance!
    I know there are issues with some titles but there are loads of classic Duke films which deserve remastering before these.

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• Thanks for the heads up, although its a random selection to say the least!
    My copies are so ropey they are barely watchable so I'm not holding out much hope for a Fort Apache level of quality transfer.

What I do not understand are the Blu ray releases.
    We're getting Three Texas Steers, which has some guy in a Gorilla suit as a main character, but no Alamo, Quiet Man or Red River for instance!
    I know there are issues with some titles but there are loads of classic Duke films which deserve remastering before these.

Here's the deal, Olive Films, the studio releasing these DVD's, has licensed the Republic library from Paramount. These titles they are releasing, have never been released on region one DVD, in addition these titles represent 4 out of 8 of the Mesquiteer movies Duke made right before Stagecoach. As such these are the last of his 'B' movies.

As for the other movies you listed,
    The Alamo is owned by MGM, and they are not interested in restoring it, making the current DVD the only option.

Red River is also owned by MGM

The Quiet Man is part of the Republic library so I fully expect to see a restored print released on DVD/Blu-Ray by next Christmas.

• Totally understand re the 3 pictures I mentioned, I just picked them randomly as examples.
    Here's hoping they do Angel and the Badman, Dark Command and Sands of Iwo Jima soon. Now that would be fantastic!

Edited once, last by Dooley ().

• Not real fond of the cover art. Duke's hat is all wrong. Take away the crossed sabres and it looks more like a cover for Hondo or El Dorado.

• Not real fond of the cover art. Duke's hat is all wrong. Take away the crossed sabres and it looks more like a cover for Hondo or El Dorado.

Totally agree, poor choice of poster art for the cover. It is from an original release but not one that I'm fond of. Where's the moustache for a start!
    Hopefully all this will fade away when we see how fantastic it looks on Blu ray.
    I may do my own cover if I find I can't live with it.:wink_smile:

• Here are the Blu-ray cover art and details for those upcoming Three Mesquiteer releases. (They will also be released on standard DVD.)

The Night Riders (Blu-Ray) (1939)
    Starring: John Wayne, Ray Corrigan, Max Terhune, Doreen McKay, Ruth Rogers, George Douglas, Tom Tyler, Kermit Maynard, Sammy McKim, Walter Wills, Ethan Laidlaw, Edward Peil Sr., Tom London, Jack Ingram, Bill NestellDirector:George ShermanGenre:Blu-Ray, WesternsYear:1939Studio:Olive FilmsLength: 56 minutes Release Date: October 2, 2012 Rating: NR Format: DVD Misc: NTSC, Full Screen, Black & White Language: English(Original Language)

SYNOPSIS:
    In The Night Riders (the fifth of eight Wayne Mesquiteers films), a crooked gambler (George Douglas), impersonating Don Luis de Serrano, establishes himself as a dictator within the United States with a phony land grant dating back to Phillip of Spain. With an army of hired gunmen he evicts all the townspeople off his “land” who fail to meet his tax demands. After their appeal to President James Garfield in turned down, our evicted heroes become the masked avengers nicknamed The Night Riders; modern-day Robin Hoods, stealing from the land baron’s goons and giving back to the oppressed farmers. Featuring Doreen McKay and Ruth Rogers.

The Three Mesquiteers was the umbrella title for a series of fifty-one B-westerns released between 1936 and 1943. The films featured the characters Stony Brooke, Tucson Smith and Lullaby Joslin or Rusty Joslin as the threesome; played by many B-western stars of that era.

In 1938, John Wayne took over for Robert Livingston as Stony Brooke and starred in eight Mesquiteers films between 1938 and 1939, he was joined by Ray Corrigan as Tucson Smith and Max Terhune as Lullaby Joslin for the first six and Raymond Hatton as Rusty Joslin for the last two… all eight films were directed by George Sherman (Big Jake). John Ford’s Stagecoach was perfectly sandwiched between the eight films and John Wayne portrayal of the outlaw gunfighter made him a superstar and ended Wayne’s Stony Brooke run… Livingston was rehired as Brooke and went on to make fourteen more Mesquiteers films and for an incredible total of twenty-nine.

NO BONUS FEATURES

Overland Stage Raiders (Blu-Ray) (1938)
    Starring: John Wayne, Ray Corrigan, Max Terhune, Louise Brooks, Anthony Marsh, John Archer, Gordon Hart, Olin Francis, Fern Emmett, Henry Otho, George She, George Sherwood, Arch Hall Sr., Frank LaRueDirector:George ShermanGenre:Blu-Ray, WesternsYear:1938Studio:Olive FilmsLength: 55 minutes Release Date: October 2, 2012 Rating: NR Format: DVD Misc: NTSC, Full Screen, Black & White

SYNOPSIS:
    Overland Stage Raiders (the second of eight Wayne Mesquiteers films) co-stars silent film icon, Louise Brooks (in her final performance) and Anthony Marsh as siblings who partner up with the three amigos to save their struggling airline, standing in their way is an evil business man and his band of outlaws.

The Three Mesquiteers was the umbrella title for a series of fifty-one B-westerns released between 1936 and 1943. The films featured the characters Stony Brooke, Tucson Smith and Lullaby Joslin or Rusty Joslin as the threesome; played by many B-western stars of that era.

In 1938, John Wayne took over for Robert Livingston as Stony Brooke and starred in eight Mesquiteers films between 1938 and 1939, he was joined by Ray Corrigan as Tucson Smith and Max Terhune as Lullaby Joslin for the first six and Raymond Hatton as Rusty Joslin for the last two… all eight films were directed by George Sherman (Big Jake). John Ford’s Stagecoach was perfectly sandwiched between the eight films and John Wayne portrayal of the outlaw gunfighter made him a superstar and ended Wayne’s Stony Brooke run… Livingston was rehired as Brooke and went on to make fourteen more Mesquiteers films and for an incredible total of twenty-nine.

NO BONUS FEATURES

Red River Range (Blu-Ray) (1938)
    Starring: John Wayne, Ray Corrigan, Max Terhune, Polly Moran, Lorna Gray, Kirby Grant, Sammy McKim, William Royle, Perry Ivins, Stanley Blystone, Burr Caruth, Roger Williams, Earl Askam, Olin FrancisDirector:George ShermanGenre:Blu-Ray, WesternsYear:1938Studio:Olive FilmsLength: 56 minutes Release Date: October 2, 2012 Rating: NR Format: DVD Misc: NTSC, Full Screen, Black & White Language: English(Original Language)

SYNOPSIS:

In Red River Range (the fourth of eight Wayne Mesquiteers films), The Cattlemen’s Association has called in the three amigos to find a gang of cattle rustlers, their friend Tex Riley (Kirby Grant) poses as Stony, so the real stony can go undercover as an outlaw to infiltrate the gang. Featuring Polly Moran and Lorna Gray.

NO BONUS FEATURES

Three Texas Steers (Blu-Ray)
    (1939)
    Starring: John Wayne, Ray Corrigan, Max Terhune, Carole Landis, Ralph Graves, Roscoe Ates, Collette Lyons, Billy Curtis, Ted Adams, Stanley Blystone, David Sharpe, Ethan Laidlaw, Lew KellyDirector:George ShermanGenre:Blu-Ray, WesternsYear:1939Studio:Olive FilmsLength: 56 minutes Release Date: October 2, 2012 Rating: NR Format: DVD Misc: NTSC, Full Screen, Black & White Language: English(Original Language)

SYNOPSIS:
    Three Texas Steers (the sixth of eight Wayne Mesquiteers films) co-stars Carole Landis as Nancy Evans, a lovely circus owner whose crooked manager, George Ward (Ralph Graves) sabotages her circus with a series of mysterious incidents, so she has no choice, but to sell the ranch her grandfather left her in Mesquite County. Bankrupted and broke, Nancy and her band of carnies decide to move to Mesquite and live on the ranch until they’re back on their feet. Ward and is cohorts vow to drive Nancy off her ranch, but standing in their way are Nancy’s new neighbors, The Three Mesquiteers. This was Max Terhune’s twenty-first and final appearance as Lullaby Joslin.

NO BONUS FEATURES

• Three movies are coming out on Blu-Ray October 2, 2012. Pretty exciting to see Duke's movies from his "B" movies making it to the Blu-Ray scene. These are the ones coming out.

The Night Riders (1939)

Three Texas Steers (1939)

Red River Range (1938)

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Don't forget that Rio Grande (1950) is coming out on Blu-Ray on August 7, 2012. That is in 9 days. The second of the three Calvary trilogy on Blu-Ray. A must for the collection that features Maureen O'Hara.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Just saw The Quiet Man will be released on Blu-ray on January 22, 2013. Here is the Info on this movie and yes I am excited for the finally release date for this movie. And there is more on the process that will maybe excite you on this release of this movie.

Newly re-mastered in HD from a 4K SCAN of the ORIGINAL NEGATIVE. John Ford's The Quiet Man celebrates one of Hollywood's most romantic and enduring epics. The first American feature to be filmed in Ireland's picturesque countryside. Ford richly imbued this masterpiece with his love of Ireland and its people. Sean Thornton (John Wayne) in an American boxer who swears off fighting after he accidentally kills an opponent in the ring. Returning to the Irish town of his youth, he purchases the home of his birth and finds happiness when he falls in love with the fiery Mary Kate (Maureen O'Hara). But her insistence that Sean conduct his courtship in a proper Irish manner with matchmaker Barry Fitzgerald along for the ride as "chaperone" is but one obstacle to their future happiness: the other is her brother (Victor McLaglen), who spitefully refuses to give his consent to their marriage, or to honor the tradition of paying a dowry to the husband. Sean could care less about dowries, he would've punched out the bullying McLaglen long ago if he hadn't sworn off fighting. But when Mary Kate accuses him of being a coward and walks out on him, Sean is finally ready to take matters into his own hands, the resulting fistfight erupts into the longest brawl ever filmed, followed by one of the most memorable reconciliations in movie history! The Quiet Man won a total of two Academy Awardsr including Best Director (Ford) and Best Cinematography and received five more nomination including Best Picture, Best Screenplay and Best Supporting Actor (McLaglen).

Is this a good thing? Very excited. It is also coming out on DVD.

- John Wayne quote

• Red River is to be released on Blu-ray and DVD on March 6, 2013 in France by Wild Side Video.

It looks like it will be the director's cut, along with a documentary on the film's restoration. The BD/DVD combo-pack will also include an 80-page book.

Superb! That's a great one to add.
    I'm still surprised that both France and Germany are releasing some fantastic westerns and Duke films on blu ray which haven't seen the light of day in the US or UK.

• As mentioned in a previous post some time ago, London-based Hollywood Classics Ltd. has licensed some Blu-rays to European labels, notably Soul Media which had the Blu-ray debuts of The Barbarian and the Geisha and McLintock! Soul Media also has titles never released on Blu-ray anywhere, including Hellfighters and North to Alaska (licensed from Hollywood Classics).

The library of Hollywood Classics is rather small, but they do have rights to a few other John Wayne titles such as The Alamo, Brannigan, Pittsburgh, Allegheny Uprising and -- this is the interesting one -- Sea Spoilers, which of course has never been released on home video.

So there's always the chance that Soul Media will release Sea Spoilers. It doesn't have to be on Blu-ray -- I would be content with the DVD!

It wouldn't hurt for people on this board to send Soul Media an e-mail asking for the film to be released.

http://www.soulmedia.dk/

If they did release the film on DVD, however, it would most likely be in PAL/Region 2 format.

• Can anyone help please, who has the distribution rights for The Quiet Man, in the UK. I have attempted to contact Universal directly but they never reply. The recent Olive release was Region A only, so am hoping we will get a release, this side of the Atlantic at some point. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• I would suggest investing in a region free Blu-ray player, as these sort of things happens a lot (a movie being released in one part of the world and not where you live).

I like Soul Media for releasing hard-to-find movies, but unfortunately their releases aren't that exciting in the special features department since there rarely are any.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Thank you for that I may well have to invest in a Region free player. On a happier note it would appear that " The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" is to be released in the UK on Blu ray, with a US release at some point. I also hear although cannot confirm yet, that " El Dorado" and "The Sons of Katie Elder" may be released on Blu ray in the USA, this year. This might be worth me confirming with my contact at Paramount, but I am hopeful.