Fan Geography

There are 111 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 36,077 times. The latest Post () was by Tbone.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi Jay,
    the last time I've been to the Alamo was in 98. If the show's still there, try it once, it was a lot of fun for 15 minutes.

Do you know what they did to the set of the new Alamo picture? Is it going to be left open for public, like the one in Brackettville? On film, it looks like a beautiful reproduction of the original, certainly worth left standing.

• Hi itdo -

The last I heard, they are going to leave it standing. I have not heard, however, whether it will be opened as a tourist attraction or if something else will be done with it. It's up near Dripping Springs west of Austin.

Jay

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• :cowboy: Jay, your only about 120 miles from where I now live. Next time your this way or im lucky enough to be going to S.A. please drop a line and it would be nice to meet a board member in person.

Best regards TRK.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I AM FROM WASHINGTON STATE. BEEN HERE MY WHOLE LIFE. I WAS SURPRISED TO SEE THAT MOST OF DUKE'S FANS ARE FROM ANOTHER COUNTRY!!!!! WOW! :o HE DID MAKE AN IMPACT, DIDN'T HE?? STILL DOES, I BELIEVE. :P

MICHAELLE

Originally posted by chester7777@Oct 24 2003, 10:16 PM

I must admit, we don't live in southern California, as John Wayne did, but farther north, about 65 miles south of San Francisco.

Chester :rolleyes:

[snapback]5051[/snapback]

Hi, Chester we are from the same area, I can smell the Garlic B) ... Nice to see another John Wayne fan so close to home...

You can roll a turd in powdered sugar but that doesn’t make it a doughnut.

Originally posted by erthomp143@May 7 2005, 08:42 PM
    Nice to see another John Wayne fan so close to home...

[snapback]16578[/snapback]

Yee Haw! We second that emotion, and would like to welcome you to the John Wayne Message Board, the best of it's kind on the 'Net!

It sounds like you're "just over the hill" from us. When we lived in San Jose, we could smell the garlic if the wind was right.

Again, welcome!

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:

• I live probably the closest to either the CA fans or WA. I am from Utah. I guess I'm the closest to Monument Valley where Duke did a lot of his early work. I haven't made it down there yet. I'm in Northern Utah and it would be far south for me.

I guess you always love the place your grew up in and I love it here. You might say "My roots are buried here."

• I'M IN BROOKLYN, NY. NOT WHAT PEOPLE USUALLY CALL JOHN WAYNE COUNTRY.

John Bernard Books (The Shootist):
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."

Originally posted by ethanedwards@Jun 30 2005, 08:44 PM
    On this site , everywhere in the world,
    is John Wayne country!!

[snapback]18420[/snapback]

So true, Keith. Look at the international scope of the J.W. Message Board. It proves that Duke's popularity is universal.
    Cheers - Jay :D

"Not hardly!!!"

• Hello All I live in British Columbia 400 feet from the Fraser river and about a mile upriver from where she flows into the Pacific. I have heard that the duke liked to fish North of here. so long Kilo 6

Greetings from North of the 49th

Originally posted by Hondo Duke Lane@Oct 24 2003, 04:48 PM
    I am from Alabama, more like the greater Montgomery area (Prattville).

My highschool girlfriend (for whom I still carry a torch, even after 50 years) lives in Montgomery.

De gustibus non est disputandum

Originally posted by kilo 6@Aug 2 2005, 02:04 AM
    Hello All I live in British Columbia 400 feet from the Fraser river and about a mile upriver from where she flows into the Pacific. I have heard that the duke liked to fish North of here. so long Kilo 6

[snapback]19823[/snapback]

kilo 6,
    You live in a place where I've always wanted to live. I've never been to BC but from the pictures I've seen, it must be one of the most scenically beautiful spots in North America. And to this Texas who hates heat, much more climatically endurable.

Originally posted by Stumpy@Aug 4 2005, 03:21 AM
    And to this Texan who hates heat, much more climatically endurable.

[snapback]19919[/snapback]

Stumpy,

A man after my own heart! I detest the heat, and when I hear reports of the nth day in a row of 100+ temps down your way, I realize I would probably be in a severe depression if I lived there :(:(:( .

Is your sweetie a native Texan? Is that what keeps you there?

Where we live, on the Central Coast of California, a few miles inland, it can really heat up on the hottest days, but thankfully it cools off at night (we've had days with a 50º F low temp and over 100º F for a high). It's that night cooling that keeps my sanity.

Mrs. C :angel1:

• No, wife wife was born in Berlin, Germany. I married her in 1960 during my first tour of duty in Germany. She's lived in the States though longer than she lived in Germany. She first came over in 1962 and has more or less lived continuously in the States since then, except for our foreign tours in the service.

I should have added that what keeps us here are family ties (my brothers and sister-my folks are dead) and the fact that we don't have the money it would take to move elsewhere.

• Hi Stumpy -
    You got that right! These Texas summers can get you down. Since those "cold" fronts don't start showing up until the end of September at the earliest (and usually not until mid-October), it puts the hardiest to an endurance test. I don't know how those pioneers managed to get though those summers, but I guess they did, or else Texas wouldn't be as populated today (of course, air conditioning has a lot to do with the last fifty or sixty years of population increase, I'm sure.).
    Cheers - Jay :huh:

"Not hardly!!!"

Originally posted by Jay J. Foraker@Aug 4 2005, 09:25 AM
    I don't know how those pioneers managed to get though those summers, but I guess they did

I don't know either, Jay. Like I said, I was born and raised in this heat but when I was a kid, it didn't seem to bother me like it does now. Shoot, we never had air conditioning back in the forties and early fifties and I'm sure we had some real scorchers then too but I sure don't recall being as miserable from the heat as I have been the past several years.

I used to scoff at those claims of global warming but damned if I'm not about ready to sign on to the theory. I know (or at least have a strong suspicion) that the summers have been getting much hotter than they were 50 or 60 years ago. And I can't remember when we've had what you could call a real winter.

Originally posted by Stumpy@Aug 4 2005, 09:50 AM
    I don't know either, Jay. Like I said, I was born and raised in this heat but when I was a kid, it didn't seem to bother me like it does now. Shoot, we never had air conditioning back in the forties and early fifties and I'm sure we had some real scorchers then too but I sure don't recall being as miserable from the heat as I have been the past several years.

[snapback]19931[/snapback]

Yep, when I was younger, the heat didn't seem to bother me like it does now. There must be something about aging making us vulnerable to the heat. Back in the days of the pioneers, the average life expectancy was much lower than it is today, so maybe the general youthfulness of those hardy people got them through this heat.
    I noticed that little front that came down last week did drop some temps by about, what, five or ten degrees for a day or so to North Texas, depending on where in Texas it affected. However, when it stalled right about on top of San Antonio, it just kicked up some scattered showers with very little temperature change. And now it is gone, so, too, are the lower? temps and rain.

"Not hardly!!!"