Finding some VERY interesting stuff on the internet for sale.

There are 13 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,892 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Believe it or not? THIS is a Photo of my Dad in WWII. I found it for sale on a site I buy WWII pics from and my eyes almost popped out of their sockets when I saw this one.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• My Dad is the one not wearing a crusher cap. Also, I was surprised that even way back then--he wore his signature "Tidal Wave" hair style.

Thanks to this photo, I now have seen a pix of my dad serving in the ETO with the 8th Air Force. Ive never seen him in photos during WWII--only after the war and in the Korean War. All of the photos we had showing him serving were stolen from us about 17 years ago.

Anyway, my dad was a Ball Turret Gunner serving on B-17s with the 8th Air Force. Im not exactly sure what Bomb Group he was in but hoping to find out very soon. I also contacted this seller to see if he has any more images of my dad in WWII.

• That is awesome, Ringo. Must have made your day, for sure. Was you father a small man? I heard they had to be small to fit in that ball turrett. That had to take guts to climb down into that ball, hanging below the plane like it did.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Ringo, Truly a great find! My dad served in the US Navy during WW2 as a Photographers Mate in the Solomon Islands. I have one picture of him taking a bath in a 55 gallon barrel.

Chester :newyear:

Thank you and, ill bet that was one heck of a site to see :lol::lol:

• That is awesome, Ringo. Must have made your day, for sure. Was you father a small man? I heard they had to be small to fit in that ball turrett. That had to take guts to climb down into that ball, hanging below the plane like it did.

Mark

Hi Mark, it did and I couldnt shut up talking about it. My Dad was 5 Ft 3, and weighed about 130.

The bad thing is, is just today the seller told me the photo already sold. I was hoping that maybe he would send the buyer my phone number or email addy to see if he would be willing to sell it to me--but nothing on that yet.

• Well done Carl, great stuff

Hi Keith and thank you. Sad thing is--the photo was already sold but not marked off the site yet. I sent Rick an inquiry to see if he was willing to contack the seller and let him know that was my Dad to see if he would be willing to sell it to me--nothing yet.

PS, I DID get a fair shot of a Sherman Tank KOed during the Battle of the Bulge and photo was taken by a German Soldier.

I forgot to mention that that the seller said the mans name in the photo was Harry Evans--my Dads first name started with an "H" but wasnt Harry--although he was nicknamed Harry for some reason.

• Carl, mi amigo, that is just a stunning find! You have to get it (or at least a high quality copy) for yourself.
    Let me know if you get a response from this buyer.
    By the by, your Dad is quite a good looking guy.

We deal in lead, friend.

• You know something? I would've been asking the seller where he got the picture from.

I did. He said he got a huge grouping of pix froma guy who had a lot of stuff dealing with the 90th Bomb Group. The thing is, those guys flew Mitchell and other bombers and im not sure if they flew B-17s or not? My dad could have just been visiting a friend who was in the 90th? and someone snapped their photo? Ive since learned the exact squadron this aircraft was in but I forgot to write it down and will do so tomorrow.

Anyway, he didnt tell me who the person actually was who he got them from but apparently he is here in the States somewhere and I think in Florida.?

• Carl, mi amigo, that is just a stunning find! You have to get it (or at least a high quality copy) for yourself.
    Let me know if you get a response from this buyer.
    By the by, your Dad is quite a good looking guy.

We deal in lead, friend.

Thank you for all the nice compliments B/ My Dad would have been in his early 20s in this photo.

I sent a long inquiry to the seller to see if he would please contact the buyer and see if he will send him my contact info? no reply as yet but ill check back tomorrow. Im willing to give up several of my better images for this one. :-))

BTW, I also got info that there were five men with the last name of Evans serving in the 90th at that time--and two of them could be my Father. One was not fully IDed and the other was IDed as a Harry Evans--my Dads 1st name starts with an "H"--but isnt Harry. However, his nickname was Harry.

• Carl, was the picture above one of the pictures stolen from your family some 17 years ago. What information do you have on that photo? What I mean by that is do you have a history of that photo from the seller?

That is great that you found such a picture. Do you know who the man with the hat next to your dad is?

Hope you are able to have an opportunity to get that picture in your possession.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hi H, This photo was one ive never seen before and I dont think I ever saw one of my Dad that was taken during the war. The ones ive seen were when the war was over and also the ones showing him in Japan and then in Korea during the Korean War.

That guy with the crusher looks awfully familiar--I KNOW ive seen him before--I just know it. I do have very scant info on the 90th Bomb Group as well as the Squadron number the man in the cap was in. Trouble is-is I dont know if my dad was in the 90th? The only things I know for sure were that he was a Ball Turret Gunner 8th A.F. ETO mid 44 to end of war. I do know that when he reupped in 46--that he was transferred to the 5th Air Force and sent to Osaka??, Japan and then was there and back here then back there for the start of the Korean War.

The photos stolen were all the ones of my dad that were taken after WWII and all the K.W era photos. But as for the history of the above photo, I did ask the seller but he didnt say much except that he bought a huge collection of American photos--mostly 90th Bomb Group --that came from someone in Florida. This man was selling off all his American stuff downsizing i guess?

However, Rick DID send my info to the guy who bought my Dads pix-so hopefully??????

Ill let you all know more soon as I do.

I am still thinking of the guy in the cap--I KNOW I have seen a photo fo him before--I KNOW it.