Duke's Movie Soundtracks- Past Discussion (Archive)

There are 135 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 31,729 times. The latest Post () was by chester7777.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Duke fan your right it was John Williams who composed the music for "The Cowboys" he became more famous for composing the great soundtrack for the original three star wars movies.

B)

Regards
    Robbie

• John Williams did a lot of great music before he became world known from the scores of Star Wars. I didn't know how much he did for so many movies.

Are there other musical introductions in any Duke movie you liked?

Cheers, Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I don't really know which movie has my favorite music. I do love the love theme from The Quiet Man, of course - the "Isle of Inisfree." Very, very pretty.

I also really like the theme from The High and the Mighty. I've never seen the film, but it's one my dad's told me about before. He hasn't seen it since he was a kid and he wishes they would show it again on TV or release it for home video. I understand that it's tied up in legal battles and the like but maybe someday.

Anyway, does Duke actually do the whistling? That's some mighty pretty whistling!

• Jen,

Duke could not whistle, so someone did the whistling for Duke in The High & The Mighty. When you get to see the movie, you will see a silhouette of Duke almost everytime he whistles that tune.

Hope that answers your questions.

Cheers, Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Mrs. Chester wants to know . . .

Who does whistle for JW in that movie? Whoever it is does a great job! Reminiscent of my father whistling when I was a kid.

I know that Marni Nixon does the singing for Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady, for Deborah Kerr in An Affair to Remember and The King and I, and Natalie Wood in West Side Story. She was UNcredited in all those movies. I realize those singing roles were much larger than the whistling part in The High and the Mighty, but it would be an interesting piece of trivia to know.

( . . . some time passes . . . )

OK, I checked IMDb, and will now answer my own question -

Muzzy Marcellino dubbed the whistling for John Wayne! :rolleyes:

So now we ALL know!

Mrs. Chester

• Mrs. Chester,

Thank you for the information. I'm sure someone would ask, and I would have looked it up. I didn't know who it was, but you found out for me.

OK, I checked IMDb, and will now answer my own question -

Muzzy Marcellino dubbed the whistling for John Wayne!

So now we ALL know!

Thanks a million folks

Cheers, Hondo B)

- John Wayne quote

• Well, thanks everyone. I've heard Duke singing enough in movies to get the impression that carrying a tune wasn't one of his strengths. ;) And the whistling in that song was at least as good as anything I've ever heard even Bing Crosby do, so...

• Max Steiner composed the music for The Searchers. What a great musical score for that movie. I watched it the other day, and really enjoyed it very much. It was very appropriate, and made the mood for the movie great. I found out he composed the music for Operation Pacific and Trouble Along The Way, which I enjoyed as well. Any others that touched you in Duke movies?

Cheers Hondo B)

- John Wayne quote

• Hi

We have had a list of the definitive list of John Waynes Books, which I for one and I think alot of other people found useful and informative.

In another post the question was raised abouth the theme music for the Quiet Man.

I got to thinking how many other Cd containing Theme music from John Wayne films are in existence.

If I can start this topic off with the titles in my collection and if everyone else can fill in it migt also be useful.

So here goes

THE QUIET MAN - SFC 1501 The Dublin Screen Orchestra conducted by Kenneth
    Alwyn.

AMERICA WHY I LOVE HER - Big John Records
    (Also on 33rp Long Playing Record)

JOHN WAYNE - THE COMANCHEROS & TRUE GRIT - VCD 47236 The Utah Symphony Orchestra conducted by Elmer Bernstein

JOHN WAYNE - Volume Two THE SHOOTIST/ BIG JAKE/CAHILL U.S.MARSHALL VCD47264
    The Utah Symphony Orchestra conducted by Elmer Bernstein

THE SEARCHERS - Conducted by Max Steiner with The sons of the Pioneers
    Published by Warner Music FMA/MS 101 Manufactured by Screen
    Archives Entertainment.

RIO BRAVO & OTHER MOVIE AND TV WESTERN THEMES - BCD 16328 AR
    Bear Family Records PO BOX 1154 D-27727 HAMBERGEN GERMANY

THE COWBOYS - Conducted by John Williams
    Varese Sarabande VSD 5540

THE HORSE SOLDIERS/DUEL AT DIABLO Best - Nr 9105W

TRUE GRIT - Music from the classic films of John Wayne - Silver Screen FilmCD153
    The City of Prague Philharmonic

THE UNDEFEATED - FSM Silver Age Classics Limited to 3000 copies

EL DORADO/CUSTER OF THE WEST - Comanche 395/66.65

RIO GRANDE Original Motion Picture Soundtrack - Conducted by Victor Young
    Varese Sarabande VSD-5378

RED RIVER - Moscow Symphony Orchestra and Choir
    Marco Polo

RIO LOBO - Ptrometheus Record Limited Edition of 3000

In addition I have seen advertisments for-

THE ALAMO on CD and Long playing Record
    CAST A GIANT SHADOW
    THE SONS OF KATIE ELDER
    THE BARBARIAN AND THE GEISHA
    McQ - Issued November 2003
    BRANNIGAN issued November 2003

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi It's me again

A couple I forgot to mention

HATARI - Henry Mancini RCA Records BMG Music Spain 74321611222

MY RIFLE MY PONY AND ME - Music and TV Soundtracks
    Bear Family Records
    Includes
    My Rifle My Pony and Me - Dean Martin Ricky Nelson
    Ballad of the Alamo - Marty Robbins
    The Searchers - Sons of the Pioneers
    The Sons of Katie Elder -Johnny Cash
    Rio Bravo - Dean Martin
    North to Alask - Johnny Horton

WILD WILD WEST - Great Western Film Themes 3CD's Boxed
    Includes:-
    How The West Was Won (main theme)
    The Comancheros (main theme)
    Ballad of the Alamo (main theme)
    Green Leaves of summer (main theme)
    Tru Grit (main theme
    Rio Bravo (main theme)

THE WILD BUNCH BEST OF THE WEST * (Highly Recomended if you are a western
    fan)
    The CZECH Symphony Orchestra Silva Screen FilmCD 136
    Includes :-
    The Sons of Katie Elder - main theme
    Rio Lobo - main theme
    The Alamo - overture

WAND'RIN' STAR - Bear family records
    Includes:
    Ricky Nelson & Walter Brennan - get along home Cindy
    Gene Pitney - The Man Who shot Liberty Valance
    Claude King - The Comancheros

In my first post I mentioned the CD Rio Bravo
    I forgot to mention the music on it, it includes:-

My Rifle my Pony and Me - Dean Martin (studio version)
    De Geullo - Nelson Riddle Orchestra
    Tennessee Babe - Frankie Avalon*
    Green Leaves of Summer - Frankie Avalon*
    Here's to the Ladies - Frankie Avalon
    The Ballad of the Alamo - Frankie Avalon*
    The Ballad of the War Wagon - Ed Ames

* In the Frankie Avalon songs he sings them like he has a bus to catch and in the Ballad of the Alamo includes parts of the song that I think he made up himself, at least I've never heard them in any other of the ballads.

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Thanks Arthur, I just went to amazon and found the cd My Rifle, My Pony, and Me and bought it. I was always wondering if somebody had made a compliation of songs like this. Thanks.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I have Great Composers Elmer Bernstein CD 302 066 077 2

Titles
    1. The Magnificent Seven
    2. The Shootist
    3. The Comancheros
    4. True Grit
    5. Wild Wild West
    6. To Kill A Mockingbird
    7. My Left Foot
    8. Frankie Starlight
    9. The Age Of Innocence
    10. Lost In Yonkers
    11. A Rage In Harlem
    12. The Grifters
    13. The Black Cauldron
    14. The Great Escape
    15. Buddy
    16. The Ten Commandments

In the John Wayne musical pieces these themes are from a title CD The Films of John Wayne, but I haven't been able to find anything on that in any catalogs. This is from the Utah Symphony Orchestra.

Great Music from a great composer.

You might go to composers of Duke movies, and find a greatest hits to get John Wayne compliation of songs or from studios. I've been looking myself for several years, but not lately.

Cheers, Hondo

- John Wayne quote

• In addition there are these CDs:

Bear Family Records also produced FROM ALAMO TO EL DORADO
    includes many originally recorded songs, even including the Spanish version of Glen Gampell singing True Grit

The most recent release would probably be THE GREEN BERETS, by Silver Age Classics, very good recording, includes the original recording of the title song

THE COMANCHEROS, limited edition of 3000, with the full soundtrack, by SILVER SAGE CLASSICS

HOW THE WEST WAS WON, the full recording including the songs, CBS

The new recording of THE ALAMO, by Columbia, the first full recording, uses the film soundtrack for "lost" pieces, so there is also dialogue on it. Includes many previously unreleased tracks from the Director's Cut.

THE WESTERN FILM WORLD OF DIMITRI TIOMKIN, selected recordings from High Noon, Giant, Red River, Duel in the Sun, Night Passage, and Rio Bravo (the main theme - without singing, and the Love-theme which aren't recorded anywhere else, I guess), by Unicorn-Kanchana

THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY, complete recording, rare, this was not for public sale, promotional copy by GEMA, but sometimes, in a store with good selection

AND ON THE LP (you just can't kill those things)

CIRCUS WORLD, has rare artwork on cover, without Wayne

for THE ALAMO, there were 3 LPs. Next to the usual one with Tiomkin's recording, there was "REMEMBER THE ALAMO", by Terry Gilkyson and the Easy Riders - has a couple of tracks which aren't on the Tiomkin-recording. THE ALAMO, by Tex Beneke. These two are valuable. Then there are the singles sung by Avalon.

STAGECOACH, two record Set, has the full soundtrack with dialogue.

The original soundtrack of TRUE GRIT, with Glen Campbell's vocals, is, interesting enough, conducted by Bernstein, but it sounds like a modernized version of his own composing, Sixties-Style.

RIO GRANDE, the full soundtrack

FROM ITALY:
    MUSICHE DA CELEBRI FILM DI JOHN WAYNE, very nice recording with great cover

FROM GERMANY
    ERINNERUNGEN AN JOHN WAYNE

101 STRINGS PRESENTS A TRIBUTE TO JOHN WAYNE
    concentrates on the folk songs, like Red River Valley, Streets of Laredo and so on

ISLAND IN THE SKY - the original soundtrack would be very valuable. The was a re-release with Island on A-side and The Song of Bernadette on the other. The thing that makes this recording a must for Wayne-fans: He tells the whole film over the music.

THE UNDEFEATED (on B-side is How the West Was Won)

EL DORADO the full recording, arranged by Nelson Riddle, valuable

THE HORSE SOLDIERS, rare. The companion-piece-LP CONSTANCE TOWERS SINGS TO THE HORSE SOLDIERS is even harder to get.

SANDS OF IWO JIMA, together with John Ford's THE SUN SHINES BRIGHT

JOHN WAYNE STARRING IN STAGECOACH is the recording of Wayne appearing on the radio version. The B-Side has Randolph Scott in his radio version of Stagecoach (also with Claire Trevor!). Interesting to compare.

THE LONGEST DAY, selected soundbites of music and dialogue (Japan Import)
    I've never seen an original soundtrack of that film, just a single, with Mitch Millers conducting of the March and Song of the film's end
    CAST A GIANT SHADOW, the full recording, conducted by Bernstein

THE MUSIC OF REPUBLIC has Wayne on cover and selected soundtracks of B-westerns on it, like The Three Mesquiteers Suite

THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD, full recording

Now that they put AMERICA WHY I LOVE HER on CD, prices have come down for the LP. Mint condition always sold for over 100$. These were so hard to get!

Hope they release a full recording of Rio Bravo pretty soon!

• HI iTDO

Some of those on your list make my mouth water I have the long playing record of America Why I Love Her and also the Alamo.

I thought my collection was good but some you mention are superb.

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• How much is the America:Why I Love Her, LP now? I have a copy, it may not be in mint condition, I listened to it too death, and love it very much, I do have a copy and have one on CD.

Cheers, Hondo B)

- John Wayne quote

• Hondo,

That's a good question. I've wondered if the value of the older LPs has gone down with the availability and much better quality of CDs. Nowadays, if you can even find a turntable, or someone to repair one, you're fortunate.

Any of you younger folks out there wondering what we're talking about? :D It's stuff from "back in the olden days."

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:

• hey chester we're not all dinosaurs ;) some of us have even still been able to buy turntables as little as 5 yrs ago so there still out there you just have to know where to look

cheers smokey :rolleyes::cowboy:

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• About that 4 disc set of "ALAMO: DIMITRI TIOMKIN: The Essential Film Music Collection" we talked about earlier:

The one thing you cannot find on any other disc or LP, to my knowledge, is the first-time recording of the most stirring numbers of THE WAR WAGON.

While these 4 CDs are really packed with the best Tiomkin has to offer in any genre, The War Wagon is really the only track that's entirely new. Naming the set THE ALAMO isn't quite right because it offers no track that you haven't heard previously on Alamo LPs.

Yet if you're not familiar with Tiomkin and don't have most of his music already, this is a compilation you should get.

Listen to samples here:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=music&n=507846

• Hi all,
    Does a Chisum soundtrack exist?
    I'm looking for the chorus lyrics of "John Chisum Ballad". Has someone got them?
    kalmouk, from France

• Hi Kalmouk

There is a chisum sound track which I 'aqquired' unfortunately I don't where it originally came from, equally unfortunately it contains every piece of music from the film except the opening vocal chorus.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low