True Grit (2010)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 483 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by ethanedwards.

• Re: "True Grit" : The Remake !!!

from what I read the other day, in the book, the focal point of it was Matty Ross looking for her fathers killer. But in the Duke film, Rooster Cogburn was the focal point.

Except for the fate of La Boeuf, and some post story follow-up, the classic movie sticks to the novel pretty well. And in some cases I think the screenwriter even made some improvements. So the "sticking to the novel" part of the new movie just sounds like Hollywood hype.

As for as the Coen Brothers, I'm just not a fan of thier movies. I liked "O Brother Where Art Thou", I thought 'Fargo' was overrated, and I just watched "No Country For Old Men" for the first time the other night...hated it!

I'll give the new "True Grit" a try when it comes out, but as I said before whether I like it or not, the old classic 'aint going anywhere.

ZS_Maverick wrote:

Except for the fate of La Boeuf, and some post story follow-up, the classic movie sticks to the novel pretty well. And in some cases I think the screenwriter even made some improvements. So the "sticking to the novel" part of the new movie just sounds like Hollywood hype.

I couldn't agree with you more. I was quite impressed with how closely the original stuck to the book with, as you indicate, a few instances of poetic license. It sounds like the big deal will supposedly be telling the story from Mattie's point of view, which of course the book did. But I thought the original did a decent job of that as well. Of course, with John Wayne playing Rooster Cogburn, more attention was given to that character.

I don't know that I will rush to the theater to see the remake. I would consider a matinee (I'm too darn cheap to pay full price!), or most likely will wait for the DVD.

Mrs. C :angel1:

I actually hate remakes, which seems to be the norm. I know that Charlston Heston was in the remake of Ben Hur, but overall I don't like them. They take away what the original was all about. I don't think this will succeed. Jeff Bridges is no John Wayne. But I will not judge too harshly. And I am not a fan of the Colen Brothers.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"
      - John Wayne quote

JohnWayneFan4Life wrote:

Keira Kightley. At least she's a lot younger than Audrey Hepburn was.

Audrey Hepburn was not in true grit?

There are just some things that should be left well alone and TRUE GRIT is top of my list of these.

When you consider how many "remakes" do not live up to the original War of the worlds come to mind instantly why oh why cant they find something else or even call it something else.

Rob the storyline change it a bit, different cast, different title and I would be well happy.

And if you guess by this I will not be queing to see the remake you guess right LOL

[LEFT][SIZE=1][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [B][B]Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind[/B][/B]

JohnWayneFan4Life wrote:

Well you are right Elly, at the same time though I think perhaps a remake might encourage young people to watch the original, which would therefore introduce them to John Wayne's very impressive filmography. If that happened it would only be a good thing.

Hi again

this argument is always used and while I think it may encourage a few folks to look at the original it does not neccesarily follow they will become JW fans.

Far better to do as I have and show JW films to children from the moment they can watch TV! in my granddaughters case I have been showing her since she was just over a year old.

And in any event anyone wanting to see the original can do so just as well if they watch a film called "XYZ" that has a notation to say it was based on the book and film called True Grit and starring John Wayne."

AND

there are 200 other John Wayne movies to remake to encourage younger folks to become fans so no need to choose this one. In fact it could be argued that Rooster Cogburn and the Lady is a remake of True Grit so why not call it the remake of "Rooster Cogburn.

This is particularly dear to my heart as it is my favourite film of all time and for me, John Wayne is Rooster and vice versa.

But, then what do I know LOL

[LEFT][SIZE=1][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [B][B]Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind[/B][/B]

The post was edited 1 time, last by Elly: Afterthought ().

Elly wrote:

Far better to do as I have and show JW films to children from the moment they can watch TV! in my granddaughters case I have been showing her since she was just over a year old.

This makes sense, they need to be caught young, at the age they absorb everything life can throw at them, and then it becomes part of their lives.

My grandchildren know of John Wayne, even if it is to say "He is Grandad's favourite". They see parts of my collection when they come. If I am at my daughter's house and there is a John Wayne movie on the TV she puts it on.

Sow the seeds and nurture the growth.

Remakes? Not for me.

Bob

My grown son and daughter are the same. When I visit them, they usually find a Wayne movie to put on in the background if it's on the tube. My son actually has a fine collection of Wayne dvds and is mildly frustrated that his young daughters would rather watch Disney princess movies.
      My daughter's 3 year old son already knows who "Johnna Wayne" is.

We deal in lead, friend.

This is in Chicago

Auditions are being held Monday through Jan. 22 for a 14-year-old female lead for ''True Grit,'' Ethan and Joel Coen's film starring Matt Damon, Josh Brolin and Jeff Bridges.

Some acting experience is required for the Mattie Ross role. To make an appointment, e-mail TP&R Casting at film@tprcasting.com or call (312) 527-0665.

may2 wrote:

This is in Chicago

Auditions are being held Monday through Jan. 22 for a 14-year-old female lead for ''True Grit,'' Ethan and Joel Coen's film starring Matt Damon, Josh Brolin and Jeff Bridges.

Some acting experience is required for the Mattie Ross role. To make an appointment, e-mail TP&R Casting at film@tprcasting.com or call (312) 527-0665.

I think this girl would be wonderful in the role. I was extremely impressed with her performance in "Swing Vote".
      De gustibus non est disputandum