The John Wayne Film Society

There are 10 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,888 times. The latest Post () was by itdo.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• :D Hi

Just received my copy of the John Wayne Film Society Journal/Newsletter for Spring 2004.

This is a 27 page journal issued by the John Wayne Film Society.

I think it is a good Society to belong to for Memorbilla and it gives great notice of forthcoming issues of DVDs CD etc.

Its base or headquarters is in the Midlands in a little place near Nottingham called Sutton-in-Ashfield.

The Society also holds a convention twice a year when they show two John Wayne Films. This year they are doing it slightly different in that this time they are holding a John Wayne weekend on the May Bank Holiday

On Saturday 29th May they will be showing

:DMc Q and The Comancheros :D

and on Sunday 30th May they will be showing (and this is on a large screen)

:cowboy:THE TRAIN ROBBERS and ISLAND IN THE SKY B)

Should be well worth seeing.

Other points of interest in the magazine:

An Article on the film composer Domic Frontiere and Brannigan the DVD which has just been released over here as has the CD.

On the near horizon the mag is advertising a 4CD set release of Dimitri Tiomkin's music the Front cover of the set has no picture just The Alamo - The Essential Dimitri Tiomkin Film Music Collection. The set is divided into four sections Disc 1 The Westerns. Disc 2 the Epics and Hithcock thrillers: Discs 2 & 3 Drama and High adventure and the Alamo, and Disc 4 the Tiomkin songbook.
    Due to release April 2004 price not known at this time.

If you're happy, I will use this thread occasionally to keep you updated.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hey Arthur, is there anything like that in the States? I am guessing no. Also, does the society have released dates for DVD's in the states or just in England? And one more question, Is the newsletter available to Americans and what is the cost? Thanks for the info.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

Originally posted by arthurarnell@Mar 11 2004, 01:51 AM
    If you're happy, I will use this thread occasionally to keep you updated.

Arthur,

Definitely keep us up on these things!

Do you think you will attend the event in May? How far is it from your home? We drove about 14-16 hours last year to join the Duke's Hollywood Cowboys in Tombstone, Arizona. They were there to honor the Duke's birthday, but the overall event in Tombstone was a more generic Western event. It would have been great to have been with a large group sole dedicated to commemorating the Duke for a whole weekend, and to watch John Wayne movies together.

Sounds like a perfect opportunity for some of you message board members to meet face to face!

Chester :newyear:

• Hi Chester and SXViper

I would like to attend the May Convention but probably won't be able to make it. It's held in Robin Hood country and I'm one of those strange people who never learnd how to drive. It a four hour train journey but you have to leave at around 5 in the morning change at London, change at Nottingham and then go on from there to the town and they don't have buses. As the films start at 11am its very tight.

The magazine does carry information about Region 1 and 2 DVDs.

The yearly subscription has just gone up to £7.00 (about $12.00) and this covers membership and two editions of the Journal. What arrangements are made internationally I'm not sure but it doesn't cost much to post to the States or Canada

I should imagine an e-mail to them might bring a favourable response but I am just a member so it is a case of suck it and see.

The contact for further information:

The John Wayne Film Society 129 Huthwaite Road
    D & P Cutts
    Sutton-in-Ashfield
    Nottinghamshire
    NG17 2GY
    Tele (01623) 442946
    Fax (01623) 450879

E-mail: [email protected]

I hope this information is both useful and of more importance, beneficial to you.

My very Best Regards to you

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi Author

I was a member myself a number of years ago, I wouldnt mind going to that convention though that is a real possibility keep us posted.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• How big is this event? This is very interesting to hear about something like this.

Cheers, Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hi Hondo,

I went to one of the screenings in 1996 and watched 'The Fighting Kentuckian' and Jet Pilot. It is not that big, according to this months journal at the October 2003 screening about 120 people turned up, it can range between 120-160.

In 2000 when the society screened 'Rio Grande' Katherine Grimes attended (she played the little girl in the picture).

Lunch was a cup of tea and a couple of ham or chese rolls if I remember rightly.

I suppose you could call the gathering intimate but friendly.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Arthur, wanted to thank you for pointing out the English club to me. I joined, and for a fistful of £ I got a whole bunch of back issues, worth reading. There seems to be some nice guys doing a fine job over there. I wonder if they put on the real 35mm films on their conventions (if they do: where the heck to they get the copies?!) or if these would be digital projections. So, again, thanks - we're members of the same club in Great Britain now. Feels good!

• Hi Roland

Glad to be of service at any time. I agre with you, I only attended one convention but it was well run and very well attended. Like you I must admit they are showing Island in the ky this week end andf god knows where they got the film from.

As you now know they also get some great films to sell if you need to stock up a collection, and some great music.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi.

Amazingly Summers come and going rapidly and Autumn is almost upon us. Like Itdo my letterbox has just rattled and delivered the 19th Edition of the John Wayne Film Society Journal.

As always its great 28 pages giving notice of the 33rd Members Autumn Convention Saturday and Sunday 9th and 10th October showing on the Saturday the Fighting Seabees and Rio Lobo
    And on the Sunday
    Wyoming Outlaw
    John Wayne on TV (The Glen Campbell Goodtime hour
    The Horse Soldiers.

Articles include

Remembering The Alamo - Memories of the Alamo Premiere
    John Wayne on Television Pt 1
    Behind the Scenes at the Horse Soldiers
    Unforgettable John Wayne by Ronald Reagen
    OPbituary Jery Goldsmith and Elmer Bernstein
    News of the John Wayne Stamp

Much more besides, A real good read.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Oh goodie, that means my copy is gonna be in my mail maybe tomorrow.
    You know, the only thing about the JW society in England that I can't bring myself to like (and that's really the only thing): They seem to cut up 35mm prints, they chop them to pieces and sell them by the frame. I see a lot of them on Ebay. Now while some fans might like a frame like a unique piece of memorabilia (but then again, one second of film is 24 frames, mind you) you must keep in mind that these prints are chopped to death. And there aren't that many prints per film.

There are filmforums on the Net I visit to keep me informed or to trade or buy films, that won't allow the butchery on their sites. Cell-Cutters aren't welcome there. I tell you, they can get really nasty about it! Of course, if you owe a print privately, you may do to it what you like. But I'd rather see it projected on a screen than framed on the wall as a single frame.