Ranches And Stations

There are 5 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,591 times. The latest Post () was by smokey.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Well, Smokey, I wouldn't be a proper Texan if I didn't do a little bragging about the size of some Texas ranches. :lol:

You said in the "John Wayne Ranches" thread that Australia had some cattle stations that were larger than small countries. We have, and have had in the past, our share of large cattle-ranching operations also.

The King Ranch, which is currently Texas' largest, is 825,000 acres. Not only that but they've bought a 3 million acre ranch, or station, in Australia.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• hi stumpy,

have heard of this station having been bought by the "yanks" we have some also own by a "pommy" lot. by comparision king station is small to some of the ones that are run in western australia, when i was little we use to go out to a station in the bowen basin and it was classed as a small one as it was just under a couple million acre's. if you think of it this way in queensland alone we can fit all of the united kingdom in 3 times, after all we are know as the smallest continent but the largest island.

the name stations came from back in our history when the land was first settled by the squatters, to you they would have been something like the wild and wooly west times when people first went west. have no idea why they choose to call them that.

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

Originally posted by smokey@Mar 13 2004, 10:02 AM
    the name stations came from back in our history when the land was first settled by the squatters, to you they would have been something like the wild and wooly west times when people first went west. have no idea why they choose to call them that.

Australia has always fascinated me. There was a time when I gave some serious thought to emigrating there.

Did you ever read "The Fatal Shore" by Robert Hughes? It was, I thought, an extremely well-written history of Australia's settlement as a penal colony.

Also, "Quigley Down Under" is one of my favorite "Western" movies.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Uh, Stumpy. Is Quigley Down Under an Eastern movie? :lol:

Couldn't resist!

Cheers, Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• hi stumpy,

never have read "fatal shore"or should i say just haven't had the time to or can't remember reading it, learned all about our settlement doing history in school and how we were a penial settlement and such.
    just off in morton bay we have an island which used to be a prison when queeensland was first settled learned that they use to 'chum' the waters to keep the sharks there so that if a prisoner tried to swim to shore they were eaten in all of this islands history there was only 1 successful landing on mainland from this place. if you can remember port arthur in tassie that also was a convict prison.
    this is a great country if you don't mind flies :lol: thats how the great aussie wave came about, there is so much to see and learn in this fair country. pitty you didn't come down under, have to admit haven't seen quigley down under was on once but missed most of it so what i saw didn't make a good impression and its not been on since.
    cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"