Winchester '73

There are 9 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,822 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• With so many westerns coming out on DVD over the last couple of years I finally got around to picking up a couple of Jimmy Stewart's westerns. I was VERY familiar with his old radio show, "The Six Shooter," in which he played Brit Ponset - a drifter in the old west well known for having a fast gun and a sharp intellect. It was a great show, and Stewart was absolutely fantastic (I would highly recommend it to you if you can find it on ebay).

So I picked up The Man From Laramie first, and really liked that one, but found myself wanting more.

Winchester '73 was next and MAN, what a GREAT movie! Winchester '73 is credited as turning the fortunes of westerns around in 1950 (westerns were on the wane a little at that point), and Winchester '73 was the 2nd part of a 2 film deal Stewart made with Universal. It was a throw in - a movie that Universal thought would flop (the other film in the deal was Harvey, which they were banking on being a big hit). It turned out that Winchester '73 did even better at the box office than Harvey!

It's a great episodic movie as Jimmy Stewart's character wins a new Winchester rifle in a shooting contest, but has it stolen by the man who killed his father. The movie follows the rifle as it changes hands until the final showdown.

The DVD also features an audio commentary track which is really an interview with Jimmy Stewart himself! It was recorded in 1989 for the laserdisc version, and is a great inclusion on the DVD.

If you haven't seen this one yet, I highly recommend the DVD.

• Thanks for the review, B5Erik

I haven't seen that Jimmy Stewart movie yet. I have The Man From Laramie, Bend of the River, The Far Country, The Rare Breed, and Shenandoah just to a few of the Stewart movies I have on DVD. This one is one I might want to purchase.

Cheers, Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hi B5Erik and Hondo

I agree with you Jimmy Stewarts westerns were very good (I also liked Harvey but were not all perfect)

When your watching Winchester 73 look out for Rock Hudson and Tony Curtis in what must have been for both actors among their earliest appearances both play cavalrymen.

Shelly Winters and John MacIntire are quite excellent

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Actually, Rock Hudson doesn't play a cavalryman - he plays the Indian Chief! :blink: Odd casting, but it worked.

Winchester '73 is easily one of the 10 best westerns that I've ever seen.

And you really should check out Jimmy Stewarts radio show, "The Six Shooter." You can find it on ebay - just make sure you buy a version in a format that you can play (Audio CD, MP3, Windows Media, etc). It was a GREAT radio show, and it really showed off Jimmy's talent.

• hi

Thanks for the correction. I have just spent a lazy afternoon watching Jimmy Stewart and Maureen O'Hara in Mr Hobb's takes a vacation.

One of the problems with British television during the fifties and sixties was while they showed series like Bilko (and still do) and I love Lucy there were so many shows on US radio and TV that we've probably never even heard most of them let alone seen or heard. But thanks for the information.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• I have to agree that "Winchester '73" is one of the best westerns ever.
    You may want to check out "Broken Arrow" and "The Naked Spur" two of Stewarts finest westerns

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• I have to Vote for "BROKEN ARROW" because it was Filmed just 3 miles north of where I live right now, and besides that I got KIlled 7 time in that film and got to spend a Lot of time with Jimmy and Jeff Chandler and a "Little Time" near Deborah Pageant! :wub: Deborah's Mother would not let any of us Young Bucks Near Her she was 16 years old at that time!!! :( Chilibill :cowboy:

Originally posted by William T Brooks@Dec 12 2004, 09:30 AM
    Deborah's Mother would not let any of us Young Bucks Near Her she was 16 years old at that time!!! :( Chilibill :cowboy:

I don't blame her mother, Bill. Man, she was sure a beautiful girl. Wonder what ever happened to her. I don't recall ever seeing her in another film after "Broken Arrow"

De gustibus non est disputandum

Originally posted by Stumpy@Dec 12 2004, 11:01 AM
    I don't recall ever seeing her in another film after "Broken Arrow"

I checked her list of film credits on IMDB and saw that she did play in a number of films after "Broken Arrow" that I saw. However, she just didn't register as strongly in my memory as her role in "Broken Arrow".

De gustibus non est disputandum

• :cowboy: Winchester '73 is my fav James Stewart Western. Those facial expressions he got in carious situations really was a work of art. I like the scene in which he fisrt gets into town having been forced into leaving his pistol at the Sheriff's Office and when he and Highpockets stepped into a Saloon for a drink. He almost instantly spots his brother Matthew McAdams a.k.a. "Dutch Henry Brown" at a table playing a game of Poker. They both make the motions for reaching for their guns forgetting that they are at the Sheriff's Office. I don't think Stewart could have done better in a western.

PS, I like his other westerns very much too. TRK.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..