Ebay What Do You Think

There are 63 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 14,474 times. The latest Post () was by triciat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• This isn't a warning about ebay, but folks who try to be ebay knock-offs in email. I've only been caught once, but here's what happened.

I got an email regarding something I'd supposedly sold on ebay, for a couple of hundred bucks. I was quite confused, certain I hadn't sold anything like that. I don't sell very much, so I figured they had made some kind of mistake. MY mistake was clicking on a link in the email to sign into ebay, and of course they asked for my password to sign in. Almost as soon as I did it, I realized my error. I closed the window, opened another one and signed into ebay the usual way, and immediately changed my password. Then I went back to the email and forwarded it to ebay ([email protected]). They confirmed that it was NOT a legitimate email from ebay. But I've got to tell you, it was GOOD. It suckered me, and I'm not easily suckered.

I have received emails, supposedly from ebay and Paypal, indicating there is "a problem with my account" which I summarily forward to the appropriate department within each
    entity. In fact, I have the addresses to which to report suspicious emails in my address book, for easy forwarding.

Along similar lines, I've been seeing in my Bulk Mail folder (where anything suspected of being spam is sent), and I've seen a lot lately, along the lines of "You have a received a [postcard/e-card/greeting card] from a [Friend, Neighbor, Classmate, Worshipper, Colleague, Relative, you name it]. I've never received an e-card from a friend that didn't identify the friend in the subject. But I wonder how many people click on those and cause themselves problems. Anyway, I just wanted to give you a heads-up.

Mrs. C :angel1:

• There are a lot of emails that come through that try to sucker you into something. Unless I know the sender, it gets deleted usually by my providers spam controller or by my email software. Anything that my provider or my software has label as suspicious I simply don't open. I still use the older Netscape v7 for my email so opening it doesn't activate anything in the email like Outlook does so I can look at the From, To, Date and Subject without executing any viruses. Typically I open my mail files in notepad and check them for flaws which can tell me if its fake or not. Just takes some extra steps but it's worth going the extra step. And there are more than just cards without a sender's name, they are trying many more things.

I also used to send all the emails to [email protected] or [email protected] since those are the departments that are suppose to take care of them. But I easily found out they simply send you two automated responses and delete the emails you sent them. They don't have the manpower or give a damn that their customers are getting hammered with fake emails. So they don't bother to take any action so I don't bother telling them anymore. I even reported a customer that sent me a pyramid scheme in a shipment and they didn't do a thing.

• Hi

In May 2004 I got burned when buying a globe from a man named timspringmo. I put a warning on our trading post and I think its a good idea to have a name and shame list.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• I had my Id stolen because ebay had sent me a message and I replied to it. The person was able to get into my paypal/checking account and take money. Paypal still says I owe them $200 when I never bought anything. I don't use Ebay now.