Welcome, New Members!

There are 1,696 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 643,467 times. The latest Post () was by FanoftheDuke67.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hello JW fans,
    This is super. I did not know there was such a web site. I just registered. I became a personal friend of Duke in 1970 in Newport Beach. His wife, Pillar, had invited me to view movies at their home. I had met her while taking up tennis at the balboa Bay Club where we both had the same instructor. She was a classy lady and very nice. One evening, Duke asked me if I knew how to play backgammon, as he wanted to learn how. I knew and showed him. He loved table games. Every once in a while, his secretary, would call me and ask if I had time to come over and play backgammon with Duke. Soon it became a regular get together. (I cannot recall that secretary’s name. She later retired and was replaced by Pat Stacy. Both were very nice.) Subsequently, in 1972, Duke and I became business partners in designing, creating, building and operating the John Wayne Tennis Club of Newport Beach. I proudly say that I am the only person he ever trusted with the use of his name in a business venture during his lifetime. We became good friends and shared amazing times together. I have many wonderful stories about Duke--some funny, some very touching. He was everything you think he was and more. A great guy.

• Wow! KenWillig, welcome to our friendly band of John Wayne fans. So glad to have another member who actually knew Duke. I'm sure you have many stories to tell about your get-togethers. Looking forward to you spending a lot of time here.
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

"Not hardly!!!"

• Hello Ken and welcome to the website. Hopefully during your stay here you can give us a different perspective about JW and his life away from the movies.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• We became good friends and shared amazing times together. I have many wonderful stories about Duke--some funny, some very touching. He was everything you think he was and more. A great guy.

Ken,

WELCOME to the John Wayne Message Board, the best of its kind on the 'net!

We are excited to have a personal acquaintance of Duke's join us, and we look forward to hearing some of your stories!! And it's wonderful to hear that he was all we think he was (and more).

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:

• Hey Ken,

Welcome here to the best message board for John Wayne in the world. We are so glad to meet you. Is this tennis court still around? And does it still bear the name of John Wayne?

Looking forward to hearing from you again.

Cheers :cool: Hondo Duke Lane

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hello and welcome aboard, Ken. I'm glad you found us. As you can tell, we are all drooling and hoping you will share some of your stories with us. I look foward to hearing some. Look around and jump right in. It's a great bunch of folks here.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• DukeWayne Administrators and others,
    much obliged for the warm welcome. I've learned to enjoy John Wayne's movies, especially his movies concerning 'Native American Tribal Peoples' in the United States, and how he established friendships and harmony and payed tribute to them in movies such as "Big Jake" and "Rooster Cogburn". Think i'll mosey on down to the other topics in here. Look forward to meeting and discussing "The Duke" with you all.:teeth_smile:

J Duke W :angel1:

• Hey everybody. My name is Sonny and I'm from PA. I've been lurking around the boards for awhile and I thought I'd just say Hey. I've been a John Wayne fan for years and I got most of his A movies on video.

• Hey, Sonny from PA, we're glad you decided to join in the conversation and introduce yourself! WELCOME to the Original John Wayne Message Board!! We hope to see you around in the days and weeks to come, and that you will go from lurking less to posting more (although lurking is OK, too - but it's more fun to get to know you)!

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:

• Welcome to the forum, Sonny. I'm glad you decided to introduce yourself. Pipe in anytime you want to. Glad to have you with us.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Hi Sonny - WELCOME to the JWMB where you'll find the members to be a friendly bunch and usually among us, someone will be able to answer any questions you have about the Duke. Don't be a stranger - join in with us often.

"Not hardly!!!"

• Hey everybody. My name is Sonny and I'm from PA. I've been lurking around the boards for awhile and I thought I'd just say Hey. I've been a John Wayne fan for years and I got most of his A movies on video.

Welcome to the site Sonny, glad you posted, and I hope you continue to post often. Make yourself at home!