Who Is Your Favorite Western Movies

There are 14 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,950 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• :cowboy: This one might be a stumper for some but, who is your favorite non John Wayne western sidekick?

I admit for me this one was tough since I had to choose between the following.

Al St. John.

George "Gabby" Hayes.

Andy Devine.

Noah Beery Jr.

Smiley Burnette.

Of these, I think Al St. John was the best but a VERY close 2nd was George "Gabby" Hayes.

I'm sure I missed several choices and it will be interesting to see what you all think. ;) TRK.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Gabby Hayes was a siekick to Duke in many of his movies.

My choice would be Arthur Kennedy the interaction between him and James Stewart was terrific.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• :cowboy: Hi Robbie.

I never thought of Arthur Kennedy as a sidekick but I think your right. He was good with James Stewart. He was also good with Glen Ford in I think it was called: Day of the Evil Gun? Not sure.

• How 'bout Henry Fonda as Glenn Ford's sidekick (or was it the other way around? :lol: ) in 1965's great little comedy "The Rounders"?

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I agree Chester. And would like to add 1 more. Jack Elam. I just wish he would have done more with the Duke. To me thats the only redeeming quality in Rio Lobo.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Hi Ringo

I think I would for for Rand Brooks, he was one of Hopalong Cassidy's side kicks, and as far as I know he never appeared in a film with John Wayne, also Smiley Burnett who I believe used to hang out with Roy Rogers and had a horse called Bullseye; and for real comedy how about Leo Carrillo.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• How about Steve McQueen in The Magnificent Seven and Robert Duvall in Open Range. Let me see if I can think of a few more. those 2 seem to jump out to me at the moment.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• :cowboy: Good morning everyone, thanks for the responses as you listed several I had forgotten about. I too like Ward Bond a lot but never thought of him as a sidekick. I did forget about Walter Brennen too but probably because I never thought to look at him as a sidekick. Now that I think of it, Brennan was a great sidekick. I loved him in The Westerner.

Thanks Robbie and Hi Arthur, Victor McLaglen was great and my favorite with him in it is Fort Apache and then Rio Grande. It's hard to not think of him in a John Wayne movie.Arthur, i've never heard of Rand Brooks before and I admit that I have never had the pleasure of watching a Hopalong Cassidy western before. I wonder if any of his movies are on DVD yet?

As for Leo Carrillo, I only remember seeing him in The Cisco Kid many years ago but I do remember liking him alot. I know that Cisco Kid (at least the first season) has been released on DVD and I plan to get it sometime. This sure brings me back about 25 or so years. This was back when we first had exposure to Cable TV and back when I thought every station on was absolutely fantastic. Late nights and weekend mornings/early afternoons, was when I was exposed to The Lone Ranger, The Cisco Kid, Sky King, Rin Tin Tin, F Troop and many other great shows I never had seen before.

Back when we first got cable, everyone in the family was glued to the TV sets throughout the house (4 TV's) and everyone watching something different.

• :cowboy: Hi Arthur, sorry to hear he passed away. (The act of shaking my head--<><><><>, ) there are just no new replacements for all of these people) :(