Classic TV Westerns- Discussion (Archive)

There are 113 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 123,071 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi Bill,
    Good Idea, can't rememeber it being done!
    May I suggest, this could be better formulated
    as a Poll!
    You could enter maybe 10 favorites as a starter.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• If I remember right, I think I had started thread like this a while back, But no matter,
    Here are my top ten favorite TV westerns:

1. The Wild Wild West
    2.The Adventures Of Brisco County Jr.
    3.The Lone Ranger
    4. Wagon Train
    5. The High Chaparral
    6. Maverick
    7.Have Gun, Will Travel
    8. The Westerner
    9.Wanted: Dead Or Alive
    10. Lonesome Dove (the mini-series)

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• KEITH i thought of doing a poll could not narrow it down to ten.thought members could do their own list.:teeth_smile:

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• Of the ones I was lucky to watch over the years. Hmmm, I can't exactly pick in order, favorites. But i'll do my best to pick some.

I always came home after school and on channel 10, at 4 PM, they showed: The Rifleman. After that was Hogan's Heroes, Star Trek or Gilligan's Island or something like that.

Channel six had shows like: Leave It To Beaver, McHale's Navy, the Brady Brats er I mean, the Brady Bunch.

Channel 3 had shows like: The Partridge Family, Family Affair and unfortunately garbage shows like: Love America Style - which I resented because my older sister forced us to watch this stupid show.

Anyway, here is what I was fortunate to see over the years.

The Rifleman.
    Wagon Train.
    Rawhide.
    Bonanza.
    The Guns of Will Sonnet.
    Alias Smith and Jones.
    Branded.
    Gunsmoke.
    The High Chapperral.
    F Troop.
    Have Gun Will Travel.
    The Wild Wild West.

And there are probably several others I saw as a kid but has been too long ago for me to remember the titles.

Now, as for an old series that I never saw but am now seeing as I buy the seasons on DvD, I am now a fan of Daniel Boone. I have 1-2 seasons and want the other four.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hi Bill,

OK, here's mine then:-

Hopalong Cassidy.
    The Lone Ranger.
    The Cisco Kid.
    Wagon Train.
    Gun Law then (Gunsmoke)
    Have Gun, Will Travel.
    Rawhide.
    Bonanza.
    Alias Smith and Jones.
    The Rifleman.
    Wagon Train.
    Rawhide.
    Bonanza.
    The High Chapperral.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• If I remember right, I think I had started thread like this a while back,

You were quite right, although it was farther back than I would have imagined. In any case, I merged the two threads into one. Thanks for mentioning it.

I also see you are definitely quite the Western fan - 198 of your 297 posts are in the What Was the Last Western You Watched? thread!

Chester :newyear:

• got'a like a person who love their westerns. they sure fit my pistol.i forgot a tv western i loved as a kid wyatt earp.:cowboy:

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• Well, I was one of the ones who grew up without cable tv or satellite so the only ones I got to see by country cable (as we call an antenna here in the sticks) were Gunsmoke and Bonanza. Now I also got to watch Little House on the Prairie as I was growing up but I don't know if you could count that as a western.

Stay thirsty my friends.

• Well, I was one of the ones who grew up without cable tv or satellite so the only ones I got to see by country cable (as we call an antenna here in the sticks) were Gunsmoke and Bonanza. Now I also got to watch Little House on the Prairie as I was growing up but I don't know if you could count that as a western.

Smae here. I was born and raised in the city of Kingsville, TX, about 45 min to 1 hr drive from a "real" city-called: Corpus CHristi. Anyway, cable Tv was originally supposed to show up in Kingsville during the early to mid 1960's. When it FINALLY came, it arrived I think in 1979.

Anyway, we only got the same episodes of The Rifleman and Gunsmoke, that were hashed, and re-hashed time and time again. Cable TV brought home a chance to see many episodes from many other shows. I even remember watching a few Annie Oakley, Buffalo Bill Jr and Sky King. There are probably many others but I cannot think of their names at this time.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• My absolute favorite TV western is Bonanza. Ben Cartwright rules.
    I also like the Broken Trail mini-series on AMC, starring Robert Duval.

• The TV drama from the United States greatly became popular in Japan at the
    beginning of 60's since the latter half of 50's.
    Especially, the popularity of the western was high, and some dramas were
    telecasted every day.
    Of course, it became crazy and it kept seeing me of the boy.

my favorite were Cheyenne,Have Gun ,Will Travel, Rawhide, Laramie,Gunsmoke
    Lawman,Maverick,Sugarfoot,Wanted,Dead or alive,Annie Oakley,Bat Masterson
    Yes,good old days!

regards,
    H.sanada

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

• hi everyone

As a kid my DAD ruled the roost and the TV!!

So there were always JW films on or westerns. Nothing else was allowed not even the news! (except when he was not in and Mum let us watch a little TV on our own)

I remember watching Bonanza, my favourite was Hoss, always felt sorry for him. I also recall watching rawhide, have gun will travel, the rifleman, gunsmoke, and wagon train.

Strangely I cannot recall anything of any of these. Just goes to show how the old grey matter deteriorates rapidly.

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• I was a fan of all the aforementioned westerns and also Tombstone Territory,
    The Lawman,Laredo,The Tall Man, High Chaparral and The Virginian.

• i was always a big fan of "Alias Smith and Jones" as a child. it had a lot to do with the fact that they advertised wagon wheels but i also liked the beginning of every programme when they said " i sure do wish the sherrif would let a few more people in our secret" or something like that. i m surprised that the tv companies never put it on at all now

"Sorry don t get it done, Dude" (Rio Bravo)

Hooked on The Duke

• Does anyone have comments on the short-lived "Brisco County Jr" TV series? Or "The Wild, Wild West" with Robert Conrad? These may not be in the Classic category but we thought they were entertaining in their own way. Arguably Ross Martin of WWW may have been one of the most talented character actors in TV at the time. And Bruce Campbell had that comic edge to his athletic role.

Very Best,
    OT Xtras[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT]