Song Of The South

There are 8 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,339 times. The latest Post () was by Robbie.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi Stumpy

If you go to http://www.empireonline.com message board around about page four or five there is a big article on The Song of the South and rumours that Disney intend to re-release it on DVD in The United States. Apparently there has been a petition with 60,000 signatures (my you have been busy) asking for the film to be issued
    in the States and now it might happen.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Arthur, I've looked over that site but can't find the reference you mention. Can you be more specific as to the thread title, or even post a link?

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Hi Stumpy

The Empire one was in more detailbut saying that I can't find it now. it was my son who pointed it out to me. I'll wait until he gets home an ask him again.

I'll also ask his how you get the site put on the board because I don't know how to do that.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Thanks very much, Arthur. That link contains about the same information as the one I found. As the man says in the link, "there's no more racism in "Song of the South" than there is in "Gone With The Wind" and GWTW certainly hasn't been banned. This is welcome news indeed but I'm not gonna hold my breath waiting for it to happen. American corporations have become so politically correct within the past 20 years that they're gunshy about any sort of controversy, especially one involving possible racism.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Here is some info over at Digital Bits:

How's this for a surprise? The always interesting Jim Hill Media website claims that Disney is preparing to finally release its controversial Song of the South on DVD in 2006. Consider that Rumor Mill worthy until the studio officially confirms it, but we think it's about damn time. We've never understood the desire some have for this film to simply disappear. Native Americans were played by white guys with red-painted faces in many classic Hollywood films, and black slaves were often depicted as stupid or content with their lot in life. It's absolutely a sad, ugly part of Hollywood's legacy. But rather than wishing films like Song of the South out of existence, why not turn them into an opportunity to tackle those important issues head on? Reach out to all sides, bring people into the process and donate a portion (or all) of the profits to appropriate charities and civic groups. History, film history included, is what it is... good and bad, warts and all. Seems to us that you've gotta appreciate the good and confront the bad head on to really learn any truly valuable lessons from the past. Anyway, that's just our opinion. With any luck it'll be an interesting special edition.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I guess that means that it will be released when Michael Eisner leaves Disney. He is a great guy, and well I know he'll be missed :(NOT.

Of course, until a date is confirmed like others we've talked about, we'll have to wait and see.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I was quite young when I last seen Song of the South and I remember loving it but I dont recall it being racist can anyone explain why it is deemed som.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie