Battle Of Alamo Over Slavery?!?!?

There are 12 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 5,237 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I could not get it to open up on the computer im using--will have to wait till Tues to see it and get extremely angry about this leftist lunitic garbage. I can almost bet exactly what is written there without even having to look. :uhuh2: :angry::angry::angry:

Tell you one thing, I will never support that station again. :angry:

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I'm not up on my Texas history, but Texas did suceed from the union due to slavery in 1861? I know that Texas wanted to seprate from Mexico to form their own nation or republic. I'm not saying that the Alamo was fought over slavery, but could this be over one of the issues? I know that liberal networks manipulate isssues for their warped beliefs, but could there be some truth?

One thing I do know is they do not completely lie. Any Texans out there who may be able to shed some light on this?

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• hi all

well when i was at school we had an exchange teacher from your land, and she told us that texas went to war with the mexs because they didn't want to be under the rule of that bloke san somebody or another. then durning your civil war they went with the south because they wanted the right to choose what they did with their state. well thats the understanding we got considering the language difference but thats an all together another story

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Hi Hondo/Smokey.

Hondo, Texas did not seceed because of slavery but for States Rights. In other words, they agreed with the 12 other States that formed the Confederacy on not liking the North telling them how to run their states and territories.

As Ripley said, Believe it or not but, there were almost as many Slaves or former slaves that fought dressed in the colors of the Confederacy as that of those who fought in Blue. I am not sure of how many Battalions and Regiments there were who were all Negro but, there were a fair share of them who volunteered to fight for the South because they did not want the Yankees on their land either.

If I can again find a certain and THE BEST site on the Civil War that has OrBats (Orders of Battle) on it, i'll post it here. On that site it does list all units made of of Negros from both sides as well as listing in order, all battles that many of them fought with distinction in.

Locally, there is much mentioing of a former Texan slave who also served in the Confederate Army during the war. After the war he made money and was able to pay for his education in which he followed in the footsteps of General Robert E. Lee's cook (who cooked most or all of his meals for him during the war) who became a minister and started his own Church which became sucessful. Anyway, this man I am talking about last name is Coles.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hi Everybody -
    I'm just doing this off the top of my head since there were a lot of reasons leading up to Texas' fight for independence. The slavery issue may have been one of them, but there was a lot of grievances leading to the Texian's uprising. Certainly, the loss of other rights under the Mexican government (read Santa Anna) was a factor.
    Cheers - Jay ^^

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Slavery was also the least of all the reasons that the Confederacy formed and broke away from the other States. Texas had already fought for and won their independence from Mexico when the War between the States took place. So I would say that slavery had no impact on why Texans wanted their freedom from Mexico.

You can roll a turd in powdered sugar but that doesn’t make it a doughnut.

• Update -
    The San Antonio Express reported this morning that due to hue and cry from several news stations here in San Antonio (and presumably elsewhere), Nicklelodeon has dropped this bit of misinformation from their transmissions.
    Cheers - Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Ringo,

Most of the southern states succeed from the union for state's rights. I know this can get off subject, but most of the states would have abolished slavery if the federal government left them alone about many things including escalated prices from their manufacturing companies. The southern states were about out of the slave business before the feds came in and started to order them around which was about the states having the right to decide for themselves. I think that things would have been different if the union just left the south alone and stopped pushing them around. Most southerns didn't own slaves when the war broke out. As a matter of fact, it was most of the northern states who mistreated the black population very badly, the south took the blame for everything.

Now for Texas. We're going back a few years when slavery was a hot issue in the south. Texas was not at the time a state, but the question is still there, was one of the reasons for the attack at the Alamo and the territory of what we know as Texas about slavery? And I think the answer was NO! I will admit that was the first I ever heard that issue come up but knowing liberals taking the truth beyond the limits and this might be one of them with a little truth in it if any.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote