Here We Go Again!

There are 28 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 6,709 times. The latest Post () was by Hondo Duke Lane.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• We just went through a storm yesterday with Cindy, and had lots of rain, and tornados, but now we are in the path of another storm and it looks like a major hurricane by Sunday right over us. Looks like Dennis is going to hit us head on. The center of the cone is going right over my house, and looks like a category 3 with winds over 115 mph.

Going to have to brace for this one. Cindy was a wimp compared to Dennis. She only had winds of over my head of 35 mph. I am some 220 miles from the coast but Dennis will be a hurricane if he moves in fast. By the time he gets here it could be still 75 to 80 mph. Minimum hurricane is 74 mph. Anyway, just wanted to say, here we go again.

Still getting over Ivan from last September.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• BTW,

Does anyone have a gas generator I could borrow? :lol:

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• :angry: Ugh! Don't remind me! I live just north of Miami and I don't relish the thought of putting up plywood in 98 degree heat like last year. One of the perils of living in paradise, I guess.

"Day off?"
    "Off day."

• I wish the results of these storms could be spread out evenly. Here in South Texas, we haven't had significant rain in over two months. Getting kind of dry around here.
    Hondo and Cole - hope you get through the next several days without incident. Keeping high thoughts and prayers in your direction.
    Jay - <_<

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• hi hondo and cole

well it looks like your going to have to tie your houses down board up and stock up. when we have cyclones we have to do the same but we also have to remember that you open the windows a little bit so that the roof wont blow off. bunker down in the sturdest part of the house and just ride it out hope it doesnt do too much damage best of luck

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Well I hope that both of you guys come out of this storm unscathed. Personally I am rather happy living in my paradise here in the northern midwest. Gets alittle hot once in awhile and maybe a tornado to dodge once or twice a year but not like you guys have been having in the gulf coast area in the recent years.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• We're supposed to get tropical force winds and thunderstorms, so hopefully everything will be okay. The folks in the Florida Keys are the ones who are gonna get hit the hardest. They've already issued an evacuation order for non-residents (tourists) and recommend that all others leave as well. They're expecting 4-6 feet flod waters in some places down there.

"Day off?"
    "Off day."

• Hi Hondo and Cole

I guess this puts it into perspective with what we put up with yesterday we will recover quite quickly but you guys have to put up with the elements year in and year out. Batten down the hatches and ride out the storm. My thoughts and prayers go with you and yours during this trial.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi Hondo and Cole. My thoughts are of you and your families. I hope this storm loses much of it's "steam" and that you all come out in good order.

I live only about 2 miles from the gulf myself and we here have not had a bad hurricane come through here since Hurricane Allen back in 1981? We here in CC, are way overdue for a storm to come right through us.

What has had the hair on the back of my head standing up is that since March is that our water temperature in the gulf has been at least 10 to 20 degrees "F" higher than it should have been at those times and today, the water temp is 89 degrees "F" which is about 9 degrees "F" above normal.

Also, already having 4 named storms this early into the season definately AINT a good sign of things to come. Also, have you noticed that Florida had those 3-4 storms, and now it seems to have moved to you guys area and whats next? Texas. :fear::(

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hi Mike and Cole,

As Arthur says, here in England, currently we have our own problems,
    but we never have to face the harsh reality of the elements,
    in the stark manner, that you guys do.
    I cannot Imagine, the horror of those storms,
    we get uptight, when we have a gale!!!
    My familiy and I, thank you for the concern you've had for us,
    and if I may, can I now,
    reciprocate, and wish you, and your families,
    a safe passage through all this!!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Originally posted by chester7777@Jul 8 2005, 07:47 PM
    All you have to worry about out here is earthquakes

And mudslides...and brush fires.

De gustibus non est disputandum

Originally posted by Stumpy@Jul 8 2005, 05:54 PM
    And mudslides...and brush fires.

[snapback]18786[/snapback]

picky picky picky,

..... in 1982 about a mile up the creek we live on, a storm brought down a mountain burying 11 homes, taking 22 lives. A ladyfriend of ours lost her husband and almost lost her leg.
    We moved here in 1983.... The cleanup was still going on....

Chester :newyear:

• Oh my,
    I'm with Viper on this, I'll stay here in the heartland with the HEAT and a couple of tornadoes. (We can hide from tornadoes.) My hats off to everyone on the coasts with the hurricanes and earthquakes, those are to much for me. :fear2::fear2: Baton down the hatches and hold to your hats, you guys are in my thoughts and prayers. Let us know how you come out.

Baby Sis

:cowboy::cowboy::cowboy:

"Give me a man like Duke Wayne"...Marueen O'Hara

• Well, we had some squalls and some small branches are scattered through the back yard, but the Avocado tree is just fine. The worst-looking thing out there is my lawn, which I have neglected to mow this week. Grows like a weed in summer and with the 110 heat index, I don't get too motivated to get out there and cut it. I'm just glad we didn't lose power and didn't get any strong winds. Even the Keys did alright, as they expected 6-8 storm surge, which would have submerged the area. It's funny, I was born and raised in south Florida and only one hurricane (David, in '79) was the only one that was a remote threat. Growing up, hurricanes were a vague notion. The whole attitude after Andrew in 1992 changed everything. But that had more to do with crooked contractors and their shoddy workmanship than anything else. My home was built in 1953 and is a concrete block structure. No drywall to be found. During the strom, the wife and I watched "In Harm's Way", which we were fortunately NOT!

"Day off?"
    "Off day."

• hi cole

glad that you and yours made it through ok not too much damage just think the fallen wood will make good bbq fodder

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Cole,

Glad you made it through. Looks like it's still coming this was. We are expected to get this on land by Sunday evening. The excitement is suppose to start Sunday afternoon.

Again I am some 220 miles from the coast, but when the storm hits land it moves up fast. And though it loses strength over land like it did in Cuba, it still has a punch with flooding, tornados and thunderstorms.

We are fairly sure that this will come right over us, but if by chance the eye of the storm goes east of us, we will have minimum storm damage. The bulk of the storm gets its energy east of the eye, and loses its punch in the west of the eye. Has a lot to do with the rotation of the storm.

They have evacuated the Alabama Florida coast, and made our interstate highway from Mobile one way going up North. We have also seen our gas prices jump up 20 cents a gallon in one day. We might catch up with California on their prices before long. I just hope we don't lose power. We will have major problems because that means when the storm leaves, we will have hot muggy temp. And it will be very saturated with the hot sun. We'll be boiling.

I'll stay in touch as long as I can.

Cheers B)

- John Wayne quote

• I remember when Hurricane Allen neard us when we were living in Kingsville. I was about 14 at the time. I remember several people partied in the park across the street all night until sometime after the rain started falling (sometime in the early morning hrs) We stayed up preparing for the storm all night as well as watching the then version of the Weather Channel (which was nothing but a radar screen) I remember watching the feeder bands starting to come in. My brothers and I went outside several times during the night and felt the cool wind and watched the trees starting to sway more and more back-n-fourth. We climber onto the roof of the house and watched the lightning starting to move with the clouds towards us.

By the time we finished loading the cars and were leaving, I think it was about 6 AM or so and it had already been raining hard for about an hour or so. It took an hour to drive from our house in the middle of Kingsville to where the A&I Stadium was located. By then the streets were flooding rapidly and the rain was getting more and more intense as well as the wind.

Finally by about 7:30 Am we were out of the city limits. I never saw so many cars on the road before that morning. We were a small caravan of three cars and my Dad had done his homework and we got off the beaten track and took back roads all the way to San Antonio. We made great progress through it all except for one road that had been washed out.

Sometime in the early afternoon we had made it to my Uncle's house in San Antonio. It was raining Cats n Dags there as well and they were having tornadoes popping from the clouds.

That's about all I remember is lots of wind and rain. After we stayed about a day, we went up to Oklahoma to visit my Aunt. Even they had lots of rain from Hurricane Allen. When their rain stopped, I do remember how hot n humnid it was in Yukon Oklahoma.

About a week after the storm ended, we arrived back at home. The power was out on our block and the next because an electrical worker got electrocuted because he grabbed a live wire thinking the power was off and he blew out the transformers on the poles for a radius of 2 city blocks.

It took about 2 weeks to get our power restored. We had a generator which we used to keep the fridge running as well as a window unit AC. The only bad damage we had was one of our large Mesquite trees broke in half an another Mesquite tree lost one of it's largest branches. The garage had two broken windows.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hurricane Dennis has hit around Pensacola, Florida a little while ago, and is coming on land. From what I've seen, its wind speed is about 120 mph when it hit land. The storm in my area some 220 miles away is very windy and rain. We are in a Flood Warning, and Tornado Watch for about 18 hours from now. The winds around me are gusting around 40 mph right now and the eye of the storm is over 200 miles away. It appears that the storm is heading our way, and I mean the eye of the storm. Until it gets here which could be 4 to 5 hours to the center of the storm it will get worse. I'm still having power right now, but that could change anytime. We've had surges in power, and I do have a back up battery that will stay on for about 10 minutes, so I will keep in touch as long as I can. I hope it won't go out but chances are it will.

Keep us in your prayers, as we keep steadfast with this storm. Had to baton down the hatches around here and where I work, but did have time to go to church and pray before noon my time. So anyway, I'm having a lot of fun; NOT! :wacko:

Talk to you later if possible.

Cheers B)

- John Wayne quote