There are 27 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 7,449 times. The latest Post () was by Phantomstranger.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi Gang was wondering if anyone has scene the hit Western tv show DEADWOOD.
    I tried to watch the first episode but couldn't get past the bad language. Looks stunning but i must be a prude the language put me off.
    Chance :artist:

"COME SEE A FAT OLD MAN SOMETIME"

• hi chance

dont have that programme down here might have it in 5 - 10 years time :lol: but if the language is as bad as you say then i might give it a miss thanks for the heads up

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Hi CHANCE,
    Good to see you around,
    I hope things have improved for you?
    Deadwood, on it's first airing
    got an audience of about 600,000
    this as since halved, and it's not doing too good.
    Everyone agrees, it's too gloomy,
    foul mouthed, and not a fun place to be!!
    Now that's why Dukes westerns were so go good,
    they were fun to watch, folks want to be entertained.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi Ethan i'm glad in away it's not doing to well didn't want to miss a great show.Your right about the DUKES films both entertaining and fun to boot.
    thanks for the concern too.
    Chnace :fear:

• Hi -
    I have not really kept up with "Deadwood," primarily because of the foul language, which is there in abundance. I have dropped in from time to time, though not enough to keep up with the plot lines. The acting is terrific, but there can be excellent acting chops present without the use of four-letter words and their offspring. Should have been toned down considerably!!
    Cheers - Jay :P <_<

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Hi all, I havent even heard of this tv program before, although if it has too much foul language I really dont think I will be interested in it.Could this be found on LONESTAR? or any other channels?.I will have to start looking for it.

-IHW

• I guess that explains why Deadwood has foul language, it's on HBO! I haven't seen anything from their production that didn't go to extremes. Of course I don't have HBO, and haven't had it for a long time because of that very fact among other issues. Not to say that all programming is like that but most are.

As to answer your question, No I haven't seen Deadwood. I heard of it, but never knew anything about it.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hi Hondo
    Sometimes I think some of the producers of these programs that have no restrictions on content go out of their way to try to break social barriers and see how much they can get away with. I'm not a prude, but I think "Deadwood" is over-ladened with the bad language which makes it hard to watch for me. Though the producers have said that our "West" was "wild" and "Deadwood" is only a reflection of how things were back then, I just can't believe that using virtually every third word in the dialogue that would require washing out the mouth with soap of any youngster caught spewing forth with this is a reflection of the times. The show would be much more watchable and just as dynamic without the trashy script.
    So many of our pre-mid 60s movies are powerful as well as entertaining without resorting to four-letter words.
    Cheers - Jay <_<

"Not hardly!!!"

• Jay,

I agree with you as well.

My grandfather once told me that the only reason why people use foul language is because of the lack of intelligence to communicate an appropriate word or phrase.

So, I very seldom use foul language, even when I slam a hammer on my thumb. :fear2: Some people are amazed that I say OUCH!, and not #*%@!

Cheers B)

P.S. #*%@ means #*%@ :D

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I have heard of Deadwood but never seen it either. I am not a HBO subscriber and don't plan on being one. Bad language in a film/show sometimes has its place for certain films, I don't normally watch them, but to use it continually is sad and to me shows that the program lacks in something or else they would not have to resort to that.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• First of all . . . CHANCE, welcome back! We haven't seen you in ages - it's great to have you back and posting again! :D:D:D We hope you'll be around more from now on, you've been missed :wub: .

Now, as to the topic at hand - since we don't have cable, of course we haven't seen this show, but based on your description, it's not likely we would have watched it more than one time. The language would definitely been a deterrent.

So we were especially sad to hear this morning that the show has received several Emmy nominations - a continuing decline of standards :( .

Chester :newyear:

So we were especially sad to hear this morning that the show has received several Emmy nominations - a continuing decline of standards .

This shouldn't surprise anyone to see that show nominated. A show about infidelity in a suburban neighborhood( Desperate Housewives ) was nominated for 15 Emmy's.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

Originally posted by SXViper@Jul 15 2005, 05:59 AM
    This shouldn't surprise anyone to see that show nominated. A show about infidelity in a suburban neighborhood( Desperate Housewives ) was nominated for 15 Emmy's.

[snapback]19033[/snapback]

We're living in a cultural cesspool. It all gets back to what I said in the post about excessive tolerance. Give 'em an inch and they'll take 37 miles. That statement particularly applies to the Hollyweird liberals.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• First of all thanks Mr&Mrs C for the concern. I'm glad to be back.
    DEADWOOD seems to be quite popular over here people who i've talked to don't seem to be bothered about the bad language. They say you don't notice after a while .But i certainly won't be watching it anytime soon.
    Chance :o

• For me, all that foul language ladeled into the dialogue is numbing and gets in the way of the storyline - just plain counterproductive!!
    Cheers - Jay <_<

"Not hardly!!!"

• Emmanuel,
    You make me laugh,
    You and I are so alike in our views,
    I can't stand the bloke!!
    Did it all stem from that dreadful
    auction selling TV series?
    Was that not him?

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Keith

You got it in one, and I thought I was the only one.
    that had to be the worst program ever.
    Why it ran for so long is beyond me.

Are you having a night off?
    if so enjoy.

Emmanuel.

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.