R.i.p Rosa Parks

There are 15 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,298 times. The latest Post () was by kilo 6.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Smokey

She was a Very Brave Black Lady in the Southern Part of the U.S. back in the time that we were having all the trouble between the Blacks and the White People years ago.

She would not give up her Seat on a Bus to a White Man and was Arrested and became a Hero for the Black People in this Very Bad Time in the U.S. History, and this Lady had lots of Guts for this time in the U.S. History! :angry:

Bill :cowboy:

• hi chillbill

thanks for that had heard about her when i was at school she sure had pluck if what they say was correct for her time. i was bought up with the believe that we all bleed the same colour no matter what colour our skin is.

may she rest in peace

hooroo smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Hi

I must admit until read the Times obituary today that the name was vaguely familar but that was all.

Quite some lady who with Martin Luther King started a movement that should enshrine their names certainly in the history of the United States and if thereis any justice in the history of mankind.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Well said.

Rest In Peace Rosa.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Rosa Parks was a grand lady who didn't want publicity but got it for a great injustice in the deep South.

I was not yet born when the Montgomery Bus Boycott took place. I didn't know her personally. She move to Detroit, Michigan before I was born, and I didn't come into Alabama until 1964, but I was in the middle of the civil rights struggle at the time around my community.

She has returned to the greater Montgomery area over the years and was received well since. She was last here about 5 years ago to the grand opening to the Rosa Parks Museum in Downtown Montgomery, Alabama. By the way, that bus where she was arrested is at the museum.

We are approaching the 50th anniversary of that bus boycott (December 1, 1955).

They will bring her body to Montogmery for viewing this weekend. Taken back to Detroit for burial on November 1. She was 92 years old. So, she was 42 at the time of the bus boycott.

May she rest in peace.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

Originally posted by Hondo Duke Lane@Oct 26 2005, 05:16 PM

By the way, that bus where she was arrested is at the museum.

I remember reading about the bus a year or two ago. If I remember right, it was found in sad shape in someones field. Did they restore it for the museum, Hondo?

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Hi all,
    I didn't know nothing before about Rosa Parks. Thanks for you all know now. And I didn't imagine that in 20th century woman must gave her seat for the white man.
    Rest in peace, Rosa.
    Regards,
    Senta

• Hi all

I have watched the Rosa Parks story a couple
    of times and I agree with all the above.
    she was a great lady, I was watching it again
    just two weeks ago and my son came into the room.
    I told him to sit and watch it with me, after a few
    minutes he said that he had read about Mrs Parks
    in school. So hopefully She has her rightful place
    in history.

R I P Rosa.

Emmanuel.

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.

Originally posted by dukefan1@Oct 27 2005, 06:10 AM
    I remember reading about the bus a year or two ago. If I remember right, it was found in sad shape in someones field. Did they restore it for the museum, Hondo?

Mark

[snapback]22454[/snapback]

Sorry I didn't get back with you, Mark. The Bus was retired sometime in 1972, and purchased by a man who converted that bus into his work mobile shed. He made a mess of it, and when he died his family discovered the value and place of history was that very bus.

The family donated the bus to a company in Detroit who restored it. They heard about the museum opening in Montgomery, and wanted to take it there the way it looked back in 1955. The bus has been there every since. Rosa Parks sat in the bus when she returned to see the museum. The bus is running and I think has been driven with Rosa in it. It does not run on any schedule that I know of. But it is in running order. I don't know it is the original engine. I might find out about that if I go and visit.

I have not been there.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Thanks for the update on the bus. I remember being glad they were going to restore it. Sometimes learning about a historical event makes a bigger impact on the learner when there is something physical they can lay eyes on.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Hello All
    Missed this one on the first circuit. Seems like Ms Parks name will be remembered by some but her action has contributed to the benefit of many.

Greetings from North of the 49th