What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,462,120 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• A movie that had all the epic drama of Lonesome Dove, Red River and The Searchers rolled into one film... of course I'm talking about "The Wistful Widow of Wagon Gap" starring Abbott and Costello!

A very entertaining little comedy.

• Watched "open Range" the other night. One of the best if not the best shootout scenes in a movie that I have ever seen, IMHO.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I watched "Lonely Are The Brave" starring Kirk Douglas. Kirk plays a rugged cowboy individualist who, in an effort to help his best buddy escape from the county lockup, gets into a bar fight so he'll get thrown into jail too. He then intends for both of them to break out and head for the hills. But his buddy, displaying considerably more smarts than Kirk, refuses to break out and thus extend his relatively short sentence.

I like Kirk and it had a good supporting cast, including George Kennedy, Walter Matthau and Carroll O'Connor. But when all was said and done, I thought to myself "what was the point?" I mean, here's the last of the cowboys who deliberately gets himself thrown into jail, then worsens his situation by breaking out and running on horseback. Kinda stupid, if you ask me.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I like Lonely are the Brave . Kirk is pretty good as last Cowboy and yes when you think about his Character he isn't the smartest. :shades_smile:

"You're too good to give a chance to." John Wayne as Cole Thornton in El Dorado (1966)

• I watched "Lonely Are The Brave" starring Kirk Douglas. Kirk plays a rugged cowboy individualist who, in an effort to help his best buddy escape from the county lockup, gets into a bar fight so he'll get thrown into jail too. He then intends for both of them to break out and head for the hills. But his buddy, displaying considerably more smarts than Kirk, refuses to break out and thus extend his relatively short sentence.

I like Kirk and it had a good supporting cast, including George Kennedy, Walter Matthau and Carroll O'Connor. But when all was said and done, I thought to myself "what was the point?" I mean, here's the last of the cowboys who deliberately gets himself thrown into jail, then worsens his situation by breaking out and running on horseback. Kinda stupid, if you ask me.

I agree that does weaken the movie, however it is still a very good and enjoyable movie even if the premise as to why he is on the run is rather flimsy.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• Great movie!!

[COLOR="Indigo"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="2"]"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life..." ~John Wayne~[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

• This evening I've been watching the first episode of "Centennial", a TV miniseries that aired in the Seventies (I think) and which featured oodles of TV stars. It's about the winning of the West and I remember I really enjoyed this series when it first aired. Got a good deal on it from Amazon.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• This evening I've been watching the first episode of "Centennial", a TV miniseries that aired in the Seventies (I think) and which featured oodles of TV stars. It's about the winning of the West and I remember I really enjoyed this series when it first aired. Got a good deal on it from Amazon.

I have my copy as well, and is my favorite mini-series. Yes, it is from the seventies. I'll have to get it out and watch it very soon.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• The last Duke Westerns I saw were back-to-back on AMC--Chisum and Rio Bravo. I never tire of these ;-)) The last non Duke Western I saw was: Shennandoah.

I take that back, the last two non Duke Westerns I saw were the first two Magnificent Severn Westerns, then Westword if that can be considered a Western? THEN I saw Shennandoah ;-))

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• A couple of Westerns::sleepy:

Good old Glenn Ford in
    Day of the EVIL Gun (together with Arthur Kennedy, Highly recommended!)
    The Last Challenge (together with Angie Dickenson, good enough for two pleasant hours.

Good old Robert Taylor in
    Westward the Women ( Always liked that one very much!)
    Ride, Vaquero! (together with Anthony Quinn, Ava Gardner IMO kind of mediocre)

Some others but not so interesting:
    Fort Yuma (with Peter Graves)
    Ride out for Revenge (with Llyod Bridges)

"You're too good to give a chance to." John Wayne as Cole Thornton in El Dorado (1966)

• "Shane" (1953)
    -Alan Ladd, Jack Palance

A former gunman sides with a farmer and his family against a ruthless cattle baron.

Phantom's Review: Classic all the way. Alan Ladd does a great job as the title character and Jack Palance is perfect as the villain. When Palance smiles after he shoots down a former confederate, it is more terrifying than a hundred Jason movies.
    A great film, but I will say that I thought Jack Schaefer's original novel was better, but it's still a classic movie.

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• "Stagecoach" (1986)
    -Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Kris Kristopherson

Story follows a stagecoach ride through Old West Apache territory. On board are a cavalry man's pregnant wife, a prostitute with a broken heart, a Marshal taking in his prisoner Johnny Ringo, a crooked gambler, and the infamous Doc Holliday.

Phantom's Review: Third version of the classic story. Not really a bad remake, just..not that good eithier. It could be the fact that the original is so good that no remake will compare. Worth a viewing at least once.

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• With few exceptions, no remakes of Duke's films will ever match the originals, especially the earlier ones as they were often breaking new ground.

I liked this remake because I like all the four stars and I think they did a reasonable job of it.

I watched the James Arness version of Red River a few nights ago, and I thought he made a good job of it. James was a big guy, like Duke, and I think that is why he was able to carry off that character.

Bob