What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,484,822 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I saw Red River on TCM, and it was great. I need to watch this on my DVD. It is a really good movie. Pappy thought so.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I watched Big Jake. First time I saw it on DVD. It was then that I realized how worn out my old tape had gotten. What color! lol

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• HI Vera and all,

Vera, Springfield Rifle is one of my all-time most favorites. This movie has an early appearance of Fess Parker-who was a yong-looking Confederate Soldier. Also has a young Martin Milner in it too.

Last western I saw was Red River on TCM.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Ringo, Marty Milner is one of those actors who's always looked forever young. Haven't seen him in quite a few years and, he's got to be into his 70's now but, he always kept a youthful look. Much like Robert Wagner.

• Three Godfathers (1948)
    -John Wayne

Three outlaws on the run discover a dying woman and her baby. They swear to bring the infant to safety across the desert, even at the risk of their own lives.

Minor John Ford/John Wayne classic. Lots of fun and perfect for the Christmas season.

Happy New Year Everyone!!

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• Night Passage with James Stewart and Audie Murphy. A pretty good movie with plenty of action. Liked the mine scenes.

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hi Wayneamo, I agree with you about Milner and Wagner, they both look good for their ages. The last time I saw Martin Milner on anything was probably a good 15-20 years ago. Robert Wagner is now doing Insurance Commericals and still looks good for whatever his age is? I'd guess that he is now almost 80?

Almost forgot, the last Western I watched was this morning on DvD. A nice old film with Duke and his Horse Duke ;-)) Not too bad for one of his earlier Westerns. Also had Yakima Canutt in it as an Indian Chieftan, and some character actor who most of us would recognize when you see him-he's the Cavalry Corporal/Dukes Buddy.

Forgot to give the title, and as Homer Simpson might say: "DOH!!" The title was: Telegraph Trail. :teeth_smile:

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Angel & the Badman with Duke and Gail Russell on TCM. I think they are spotlighting Gail Russell. This is a good movie with Harry Carey, and our own ChiliBill. You've got to see this movie.

It was mentioned about Duke and Russell relationship and the trouble with Duke's home life. Interesting talk because we've talked about this in other posts.

- John Wayne quote

• I watced "Broken Trail" on DVD.
    starring Robert Duvall and Thomas Haden Church are so good.
    and over them,directer Walter Hill is wonderfull,i think.

This directer has a strong sense, but, about this work, brings on the taste that became refined.

Regards,
    H.sanada

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

• "Three Godfathers" (1936)
    -Chester Morris

Four outlaws come to New Jerusalem, a town full of courteous and religious people, to rob the bank. After shooting the president of the bank, only three make it out of town followed by the posse. By the time they get to the second desert water hole, they find it dry and also find a wagon with a dying mother and baby. When the horses are dead the next morning, the three outlaws have no choice but to try to walk back to New Jerusalem and only two want to take the baby.

Though Chester Morris and Lewis Stone aren't exactly names identified with westerns, together with Walter Brennan they do a very nice job in bringing this earlier and harsher version of the story of Three Godfathers, outlaws who give an infant a chance at life.

Rather than the Three Godfathers from John Ford's later and more famous version, a trio of happy go lucky outlaws who rob a bank and get a posse after them, these are a much tougher group who drift into New Jerusalem one at a time. Morris is from there and hasn't got pleasant memories of the place. He's the one who wants to rob the bank and give a little payback to the town, especially to bank manager Robert Livingston who's going to marry Irene Hervey, Morris's former sweetheart.

Of course out on the desert the trio finds a dying woman with an infant and Brennan and Stone want to help, but Morris very reluctantly goes along. Let's just say that they meet a much meaner end than John Ford gave them in his version.

I do love the chemistry between Stone and Brennan, the college graduate who carries Shakespeare and Schopenhauer in his saddlebags and the illiterate nabob. Stone does not however demean Brennan at all and my favorite scene is him singing Boola Boola in the desert which Morris identifies for Brennan as Stone's old school song.

Richard Boleslavski does not give us the sweeping desert vistas of John Ford's Monument Valley, but this Three Godfathers has a class and dignity all its own.

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• along came Jones, quite a good movie easy to watch when your brain is relaxing from a hard days work:teeth_smile:

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• on telly they showed the good ,the bad and the ugly not a bad movie but i wouldnt rush out to get it for home

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"