What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,996 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,542,536 times. The latest Post () was by ZS_Maverick.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Big Jake with John Wayne on TCM. This was a good movie. I'm going have to watch this more. It has been a while.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• "The Far Country" (1954)
    -James Stewart

In 1896, Jeff Webster sees the start of the Klondike gold rush as a golden opportunity to make a fortune in beef.. He drives a cattle herd from Wyoming to Seattle, by ship to Skagway, and (after a delay caused by larcenous town boss Gannon) through the mountains to Dawson. There, he and his partner Ben Tatum get into the gold business themselves. Two lovely women fall for misanthropic Jeff, but he believes in every-man-for-himself, turning his back on growing lawlessness...until it finally strikes home.

Another great performance from James Stewart.
    Good acting, good action and drama. A really good movie

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• Rio Bravo with John Wayne, Dean Martin, Ricky Nelson, Angie Dickerson and Walter Brennan. Seen it on my DVD, the two disc collection.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• The Ox-Bow incident. Glad to see some movies feel as good as seen for the first time long ago

A civil-war episode from the Twilight Zone, nah, not spooky enough

I don't believe in surrenders.

• Watched The Plainsman with Gary Cooper yesterday and like it greatly. Wanted to know more about Wild Bill Hickock. Great movie by Cecil de Mille.
    Regards,
    Senta

Hi Vera, I also like The Plainsman. Its been about 15 years or so since I last saw it. I thought this one is as good as The Westerner w/ Walter Brennan as Judge Roy Bean.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hi Carl,
    Glad that we share the same opinion on this movie. I became so interested that make some Internet search for Wild Bill Hickok, and surprisingly some facts of his biography depicted true in the movie. And this Jane caracter is also very-very interesting.
    You know here we know so little about your famous Western folk heroes, but it is so fashinating to know more about so colorful figures.
    By the way Gary Cooper wasn't look like Wild Bill in his photos at all. Bill had long hair as Buffalo Bill and Custor and in the movie it is some lines about it, but Cooper hair is rather short cut.
    Custor in the movie looks like on his portraits. Errol Flynn also in They died with their boots on didn't look like Custor portraits at all. But was more impportaint that these movies show the spirit of these figures even if it was more mifth, then real facts.
    I began to like Cecil de Mille much more after this movie and think that he was underrated in my list of famous directors. I alsways think that he was more show creator them great director as Ford and Hawks for example.
    Regards,
    Vera:hyper:

• Hi Vera, thank you and, great observations on the actual person and comparisons with movie stars. Heh heh, Flynn's portrayal of Custer was very interesing but not factual at all. Neither was the storyline from the movie. For the best documentary I ever saw about Custers Last Stand, I think it was the Discovery Channel that made one--dealing with Battlefield forensics. They used modern technology to show where the soldiers fought and where the Indians actually were. If you get any of these brodcasts there, these are very nice to watch.

• at long last i have watched open range, thought it was good but not the same as old types of westerns. enjoyed it all the same its been a long time coming but i have eventually seen it like all you mob.:hyper:

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• I cought in early morning (as I could not get back to sleep) I think it was called: The Last Outlaw? w/ Hoot Gibson and Harry Carey Sr? :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

• I cought in early morning (as I could not get back to sleep) I think it was called: The Last Outlaw? w/ Hoot Gibson and Harry Carey Sr? :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

It was silent? I saw only one silent movie - Winning of Barbara Worth and it was interesting. Always wanted to see some early silent movies with Harry Carey Sr. But they are not shown here. So I saw only photos from Fords silent movies with Carey in the book about Ford. Photos were sure impressive.
    Regards,
    Senta