What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,467,286 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• just watched the mag seven series of movies. just bought the set of 4 the last 2 werent as good as the first 2

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• The Alamo in widescreen version (thanks Elly) and it sure was different from my vhs version.
    Regards,
    Vera

Vera you are very welcome!

I just watched THE BIG TRAIL

The 70mm restored version, all 120 minutes of it. On the artwork that came with it the following quote " the most important movie ever made" not sure about that but what I am sure of is it is fantastic!!

One of those films that takes your breath away at the sheer beauty of the scenery, the photography and magnitude of it all. And not forgetting JW was at his most gorgeous in this film.

Even though True Grit will always be my favourite this is a very close second. I would never have said that about the 35mm version.

This for me, is the one film that I would show to anyone who is not a JW fan and defy them not to convert!! (Assuming such people exist?) :teeth_smile:

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• Hi Elly,
    The 70 mm version of Big Trail is sure great, I can't understand why it wasn't succesful in box office?
    Regards,
    Vera

Hello Vera

I think it was because it was a new process and the cinemas were not set up to show it? But other members might be able to tell you more

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• The War Wagon (1967)
    -John Wayne, Kirk Douglas

Taw Jackson returns from prison having survived being shot, to the ranch and gold that Frank Pierce stole from him. Jackson makes a deal with Lomax, the man who shot him 5 years ago to join forces against Pierce and steal a large gold shipment. The shipments are transported in the War Wagon, an armored stage coach that is heavily guarded. The two of them become the key players in the caper

One of my favorite John Wayne films. Fun, light hearted with lots of action and humor

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• elly! you are correct about the big trail. not many movie houses were set up to show 70mm widescreen called grandeur. and the great depression at that time had a lot to do with it. people needed money for other things.
    also there are young people who do not watch dukes films. but its like when you were a kid a would not eat your vegetables even though it was good for you.then you try them and fine out how good they are, same with duke.:wink_smile:

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• louis a'amour's conagher.staring sam elliott with katharine ross,barry corbin,ken curtis and buck taylor. costumes by lester bayless. slow in spots but worth the time.

• Hello Vera

I think it was because it was a new process and the cinemas were not set up to show it? But other members might be able to tell you more

Hi Elly,
    It was rithoric question. I'm guessing not because I don't know reasons, but becouse the movie itself is so enjoyable (still enjoyable and at 1930 it must be terrific impression).
    Regards,
    Vera

• Here are the last two westerns I've seen on tv :

1. The Big Country - Gregory Peck, Charleton Heston, Burl Ives, Jean Simmons
    2. Wyatt Earp - Kevin Costner (this one is watchable, but Open Range with Kevin and Robert Duval is MUCH better.

• "The Lone Ranger" (1956)
    -Clayton Moore, Jay Silverheels

The Ranger and Tonto try to stop a power mad cattle rancher who wants to start a war between Indians and whites so he can take control of a silver rich mountain on reservation land.

First of two feature length films based on the TV classic.
    Simple story with some great action, fine acting and nice scenery.
    I love this movie

• the rifleman with denver pyle,lee van cleff and buddy hackett.most of the town scenes in this show were shot on a sound stage. but the stories were very good.

• "The Lone Ranger" (1956)
    First of two feature length films based on the TV classic.
    Simple story with some great action, fine acting and nice scenery.
    I love this movie

Never knew they made any full length versions of "The Lone Ranger", thanks for the heads up. As I went to find a copy to buy, I found they are not easy to find, currently.
    I finally found three used copies, on Amazon. One copy for $6.75, another for $45.00, and last but not least, for $65.00. Needless to say, you can guess which one we bought. :teeth_smile:

Hoping to receive it soon.

Chester :newyear:

• CHESTER! they made two lone ranger movies inthe 50ths
    the lone ranger 1956
    the lone ranger and the lost city of gold 1958
    the second one is great fun from what i remember.:wacko:

• Eventhough I love this film,I don't watch it that often.I had to get it in HD and the picture quality and extras are superb.Really enjoyed it along with The Searchers and Rio Bravo in HD.I want more John Wayne films in HD.This is my first message and I love the site.

• Eventhough I love this film,I don't watch it that often.I had to get it in HD and the picture quality and extras are superb.Really enjoyed it along with The Searchers and Rio Bravo in HD.I want more John Wayne films in HD.This is my first message and I love the site.

Welcome to Dukewayne.com Have fun. it's great here.

Today's movie:

"The Lone Ranger and The Lost City Of Gold" (1958)

The second film based on the TV classic. In this one, the Ranger and Tonto, find out about a villain who is killing those who own 5 medallions. Legend has it that when all 5 medallions are placed together, they reveal the location of the Lost City of Gold.

Like the original film (and the TV and radio series before that) this is a pure fun "G" rated adventure film, I love it. Long Live "The Lone Ranger!!"