What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,457,592 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• on telly they showed the good ,the bad and the ugly not a bad movie but i wouldnt rush out to get it for home

cheers smokey

I saw it too. Very good, though not in the same league as The Wild Bunch.

• I watched Rio Bravo on AMC yesterday. I really watched it this time and discovered something astonishing. John Wayne is a great actor. You can tell the way he delivered his lines and he showed how inexperience the other actors were in that movie with the exceptions of Walter Brennen, and Dean Martin.

I never realized that until yesterday. This is my favorite Western movie. Nothing beats the beginning of this movie. You've got to just watch it and you'd see what I'm talking about.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Ah yes, Duke certainly dominated the film, but Dino and Walter Brennan were very good as well. It's just a shame they didn't get a better actor to play Colorado.

• Watched my "superbit" version of Silverado. Although not a groundbreaking achievement in film, it did kind of kick start the western in the 80's so it is notable for that reason alone. But I also liked the movie as they had action, comedy, and a allstar cast.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• "A Time For Killing" (1967)

-Glenn Ford, George Hamilton

During the Civil War Confederate soldiers escape from a Union prison and head for the Mexican border. Along the way they kill a Union courier who has a message that the war is over. Keeping the message a secret, the Captain has his men go on and they soon find themselves in a battle with the Union search party who also is unaware of the war's end.

A decent movie with some good action scenes. I think the film makers were trying for a spaghetti western atmosphere, complete with extreme violence, crazy characters and desolate desert scenes. One fun thing about this movie is seeing lots of familiar actors in supporting parts. Max Baer jr (from "The Beverly Hillbillies) Dick Miller (from many low budget horror movies) and a very young Harrison Ford (billed as Harrison J. Ford) in a blink and you'll miss him role as a union soldier.

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• The Sons of Katie Elder.

Filming for this movie began barely 4 months after Duke had surgery to remove a cancerous lung. Having had two major surgeries a couple of years ago myself, I am amazed at what he was able to do so soon after surgery, especially his own stunts!

And . . . the Mrs. and I were commenting on how very much we enjoy the music in this film.

Chester :newyear:

• Started watching "The Cowboys". My wife who generally just tolerates some Duke movies got interested and needed to go to bed, so I have wait and watch the rest tonight. Its nice to enlighten a loved one once in awhile with a Duke movie!! I did watch the special features though, see my comments in the movie section.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Same here. I watched The Searchers again. I've lost count long ago of how many times i've seen this great movie. Man i'd sure love to see it on the big screen.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• last night RIO BRAVO on AMC i don't know why when i have this fine film on dvd. lazy i guess.

You BILL OF PA, I have the same problem. I have the DVD but I watch it on TV if it's on a station. You figure!

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• The Fighting Kentuckian on TCM. Duke was good in this one, but the others were fair at best. Oliver Hardy was a classic that added a lot to the movie as well.

Cheers :cool:

- John Wayne quote

• Saw both: Support your local Sheriff and Support your local Gunfhghter movies on TCM last night. James Garner and so many good others in both movies. Harry Morgan, Jack Elam and Susanne Pleshette come to mind. Bruce Dern was in the first one as one of Walter Brennans Sons-as was Gene Evans. Bruce Dern was particualrly funny as James Garners prisoner who was ina jail cell with out bars.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• ALIAS JESSE JAMES. funny bob hope comedy with cameo's by
    gary cooper
    roy rogers
    hugh o'brien
    jay silverheels
    james arness
    ward bond and bing crosby.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• "Gunslingers Revenge" (2005)
    -Harvey Keital, David Bowie

This neo-spaghetti Western boasts an unusual combination of cast members, and was shot on location in Italy's gorgeous Tuscan mountains. Popular Italian comic actor Leonardo Pieracconi is Doc, a small-town physician who lives with his wife (Sandrine Holt,) and young son (Yudii Mercredi), who narrates the story. They enjoy a peaceful existence, with Doc opposed to all forms of violence and ecological destruction, and serving as a mediator in the town's disputes. This placidity is disturbed when Doc's father Johnny Lowen (Harvey Keitel,) shows up after abandoning the family 20 years ago. An infamous gunslinger looking to retire, his reception is less than warm, as Doc harbors much resentment towards his father. This situation is aggravated when Johnny's nemesis Jack Sikora (David Bowie,) comes to town looking for a showdown. This quirky curio was shot in Italian, with Keitel's voice dubbed in.

An okay film, but instantly forgettable.

• Once Upon A Time In The West. This movie started out real slow and took it's time getting my attention, but when it did...I loved it. Henry Fonda did a superb job as a cold-blooded killer. When they showed a close-up of his eyes...I was scared.:wink_smile: Loved Charles Bronson in this also.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• "The Showdown" (1950)
    - William Elliott, Walter Brennan, Marie Windsor

A former state policeman turned trail boss seeks his brothers killer during a Arizona to Montana cattle drive.

Highly entertaining "B" movie. Plenty of action and suspense and a bit of a murder mystery on top of all that. Overall a really fun movie.