What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,457,295 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• im

Last night I watched "The Assassination of Jesse James", Brad Pitt's version. Since Westerns are my favorite genre and Pitt is one of my favorites in the new generation of actors, I was eagerly awaiting the release of this film on DVD. I bought it from Amazon, along with another DVD with four older Westerns on it.

Unfortunately, I was pretty disappointed in the Pitt film. First of all, it was mostly talk, with very little action. Secondly, anyone familiar with Jesse's life and death (BTW, he was in my ancestral line on my Mom's side of the family) knows how it's gonna end so there were no surprises but the film itself is sorta dark and moody. Downbeat, IOW.

Thirdly, (and this is the second movie I've seen with that Affleck kid), I have a hard time understanding him. He speaks with kind of a high-pitched tone and/or inflection and for some reason, my old ears just can't make out what he's saying very well. The first movie I saw him in was "Gone Baby Gone" and since it was supposed to be set in Boston, I had a really hard time understanding the dialogue.

Jim

You have disappointed me by stating you like Bradley Pitt, the fact that he was in the aforementioned movie was enough to prevent me from watching it. I knew that the movie was not going to be great and to an extent its been made too many times with arguably the best of the bunch being Tyrone Powers 1939 effort. However having said this I was not overly impressed with that movie either.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• You have disappointed me by stating you like Bradley Pitt, the fact that he was in the aforementioned movie was enough to prevent me from watching it.

What specifically don't you like about Brad, Rob?

He's been in quite a few movies I liked. I think my favorite was "Legends of the Fall".

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Jim

Its difficult to point out one specific aspect to Pitt that I dislike, I find him collectively off putting. I think he lacks charm and frequently come across as smug (not just in his film roles). He in my opinion is not a great actor or star using his looks to appeal primarily to a female audience and he frequently relies heavily on the "F bomb' to sensationalise and make up for his short comings. I have always looked at him as part of the Hollywood circle obsessed with looks etc, and overall he certainly does not appeal to me.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• I gotto say that I liked him in "Mr. & Mrs. Smith", A River Runs Through It, Spy Game(I like that one alot), and as Stumpy mentioned, Legends of the Fall. I don't seek him out but I have enjoyed a few of his films. Is he a great actor? At this moment I would so no, but he is not bad in my opinion atleast.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I gotto say that I liked him in "Mr. & Mrs. Smith", A River Runs Through It, Spy Game(I like that one alot), and as Stumpy mentioned, Legends of the Fall. I don't seek him out but I have enjoyed a few of his films. Is he a great actor? At this moment I would so no, but he is bad in my opinion atleast.

I didn't see "Mr. & Mrs. Smith". I think my favorites with Brad are "Thelma & Louise", "A River Runs Through It", "Legends of the Fall", "The Devil's Own", "Seven Years in Tibet" and "Spy Game".

BTW, Todd, I think you misspoke in your last sentence - I think you meant to say "he's NOT bad".

I like Brad much better than Tom Cruise, George Clooney and some of the other newer generation of actors.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• The last Western I saw was: She Wore A Yellow Ribbon - which was shown within the past few days.

Also, im getting hooked on watching Bonanza and Gunsmoke, again. Man those were some great series. I don't think anything today can come even close to comparing. If it makes it, one exception I might make is for the "new" Knight Rider series.

There now, I was off track too, so I can't complain about a few others being slightly off topic ;-))

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Saw: The Searchers on AMC a few days ago.

Gotta love the theme song:

"A man whos heart and soul, goes searchin' wayyyy out there, his peace of mind, he knows he'll find where o 'Lord lord where-ride awayyyyy, riiiide awayyyyyyyy." Or somethin' like that ;-)) :thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up:

• "3:10 To Yuma", The original with Glenn Ford and Van Heflin. I liked the new one so much, I thought I'd check out the classic once again...great movie! (It's like "Man Who Shot Liberty Valance", I saw it when I was a kid, and it didn't have enough action for me then. So, in my mind it was just not that great of a movie. But watching it now, when I can appreciate the story over the action, like "Liberty Valance", it's become one of my favorites.)

• THE PROUD ONES.1956
    with bobert ryan,viginia mayo,jeffrey hunter & walter brennan.
    a cross between HIGH NOON AND RIO BRAVO. nice little western.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• JOHN HUSTON'S THE UNFORGIVEN.1960
    BURT LANCASTER,AUDREY HEPBURN.AUDIE MURPHY,with john saxon,doug Mcclure and lillian gish.outstanding story and action about family and indians in 1850.

• I didn't know that Audie Murphy was in a movie with Burt Lancaster--I mean WOW--I would love to see that movie. Audrey Hepburn is a nice addition to the cast as well as John Saxon (wonder what he's doing these days?) Doug McClure (always a favorite) and WOW, lillian Gish. That must have been a well made movie and well acted.

• CARL!
    THE UNFORGIVEN also stars veteran actors Charles Bickford, Joseph Wiseman and Albert Salmi. Lancaster, Murphy and McClure PLAY brothers with Gish as their mother.Hepburn is a indian who they raise as one of their own.the movie's climax is a big attack by her real brother who wants her back.

• John Saxon has done several roles in recent year - "From Dusk 'til Dawn," as I recall, and an episode of CSI Crime Investigations (the two-parter that had Stokes buried underground). There are others that I don't immediately recall.
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Big Jake with Duke and Maureen O'Hara. Such a shame that Maureen didn't have a bigger part in this movie.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote