What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,457,263 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• A thoroughly run-of-the-mill "Kansas Raiders" with Audie Murphy as (if you can believe it) an honorable Jesse James; Brian Donlevy as Confederate guerilla leader William Clarke Quantrill (not so honorable) and (this is the part I found really hard to believe) Tony Curtis as one of Jesse's runnin' buddies. Tony Curtis???? In a Western????

De gustibus non est disputandum

• This evening I watched the last of four films (on two discs) I had ordered from Amazon a month or so ago. This one was entitled "The Lawless Breed", starring Rock Hudson and Julie Adams. (Considering what we learned about Rock, there sure was a lot of smoochin' going on between the two leads) Anyway, it was a highly romanticized account of the life of John Wesley Hardin, played by Rock. Surprisingly enough, it was a pretty darned good Western, much better than I expected going in. That may have been due to the influence of Raoul Walsh, director. Recommended.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• A couple of old favorites were this weeks westerns:

"Young Guns" (1988)
    "Young Guns II" (1990)

The very entertaining (if a bit historically inaccurate) adventures of Billy The Kid and his gang.

If anyone has an interest in the real Billy The Kid, check out this great site:

http://aboutbillythekid.com/

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• Unforgiven with Clint Eastwood, Gene Hackman. A western event of the 1990's.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I saw two Charles Starrett (The Durango Kid) Westerns this morning on TCM. One I think was called: Both Barrells Blazing? anyway, both were goor "B" westerns and the first one featured: Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys. They sure were a great group-and the musicians featured in the 2nd flick were equally enjoyable.

After that, I cought part of the "restored version" of: Major Dundee. The movie is a very good one but, I absolutely hate that new soundtrack they composed for the movie--it simply does not fit in with the movie. The older soundtrack was much much better.

Forgot to mention, that in about a week or so, I will be getting to feast my eyes on the likes of:

1) Dawn Patrol w/ Errol Flynn, David Niven and Basil Rathbone.
    2) Gentlaman Jim w/ Flynn and Ward Bond.
    3) Charge of the Light Brigade w/ Flynn and David Niven. Also, IMO, this version of CotLB is MUCH MUCH better than that one that came out that had Trevor Howard in it. Ima big fan of Trevor Howard but, im not a fan of that version of this movie.
    4) Dive Bomber w/ Errol Flynn and I think Fred MacMurray? Anyway, I don't recall ever seeing this one-or Gent Jim for that matter? but am looking forward to watching it.
    5) The Adventures of Don Juan w/ Errol Flynn and I think Alan Hale Sr. I've seen parts of this one and find it's a very decent film.
    6) Alvarez Kelly w/ Richard Widmark and William Holden. Nice Civil War movie and a rare bird because the Confederates are shown as being the winners this time around. :teeth_smile:
    7) The Adventures of Marco Polo w/ Gary Cooper and Alan Hale Sr. I've never seen this one all the way through and are greatly looking forward to doing so.:teeth_smile:

Und finally, The Flash: The Entire Series w/ John-Wesley Shipp (formerly a Soapopera star) Amanda Pays and Alex Desert (formerly the blind guy on the TV series: Becker.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• "Rio Bravo" (1959)
    -John Wayne, Dean Martin, Angie Dickinson

The sheriff of a small town in southwest Texas must keep custody of a murderer whose brother, a powerful rancher, is trying to help him escape. After a friend is killed trying to muster support for him, he and his deputies - a disgraced drunk and a cantankerous old cripple - must find a way to hold out against the rancher's hired guns until the marshal arrives. In the meantime, matters are complicated by the presence of a young gunslinger - and a mysterious beauty who just came in on the last stagecoach.

I love this movie. In my opinion, it's Wayne's most "enjoyable" movie. "The Searchers" is his masterpiece and his greatest film, but this one is more fun.
    Great cast (and wasn't Angie Dickinson just drop dead gorgeous )and a fun story.

• "The Assassination Of Jesse James by The Coward Robert Ford" (2007)
    -Brad Pitt. Casey Affleck

Robert Ford, who's idolized Jesse James since childhood, tries hard to join the reforming gang of the Missouri outlaw, but gradually becomes resentful of the bandit leader.

Visually stunning, very well acted but at 2 hrs 39 mins just a bit too long. Slow paced (don't expect any major action) but interesting. I won't be adding this to my collection, but I'm glad I saw it.

• Five Card Stud (1968)
    Dean Jones. Robert Mitchum. Yaphet Koto. Denver Pyle. Roddy McDowell.

Interesting, yet predictable murder mystery with a western back drop. I figured out who did it, halfway through the movie. But Dino gives a likable performance and Mitchum does his usual solid work.

• TRUE GRIT there are somethings you never get tired of and watching this movie is one of them. (FULL YOUR HANDS YOU SON OF A BITCH)

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''