What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,473,826 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• "Red River" (1948)
    - John Wayne

Plot: IMDB

Tom Dunson builds a cattle empire with his adopted son Matthew Garth. Together they begin a massive cattle drive north from Texas to the Missouri railhead. But on the way, new information and Dunson's tyrannical ways cause Matthew to take the herd away from Dunson and head to a new railhead in Kansas. Dunson, swearing vengeance, pursues.

Phantom's Review: One of the greats. A classic in every sense. Excellent acting, film direction. story and action. A must see for western fans.

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• A western from down under. Quigley Down Under. Tom Selleck.
    In honor of Tom Sellect being inducted into the Cowboy Hall of Fame this weekend. Also inducted was Charlton Heston. So next up is Will Penny.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• We watched Big Jake last night. It's been a real long time since we'd seen it.

Tonight's selection was The Comancheros.

The Mrs. noticed an interesting coincidence. In The Comancheros, Aissa Wayne sings Frere Jacques, and in Big Jake, Ethan Wayne is 'practicing' it on the piano.

Very enjoyable movie watching!!

• "The Gambler Returns" The Luck Of The Draw" (1991)
    -Kenny Rogers. Reba McEntire and a whole lot of classic stars

1906: The Gambler Brady Hawkes is back and he's about to lose his primary means of livelihood, when a law banning gambling is about to be passed. But in honor of that there's going to be one last great poker game and all what one needs to join is one hundred thousand dollars. A madame named Burgundy Jones along with four other madames is willing to put up the money for Brady but first he has to compete against four other gamblers in the end it comes down to Brady and a man named Cantrell. Brady barely beats him. So he, and Burgundy, and an old friend of his, Ethan Cassidy sets for the game which is in San Francisco. But Cantrell's a sore loser and is following them hoping to get the money so that he can join the game. Also following them is a band of outlaws who were planning to steal the money but Brady left with it before they got there. And along the way they encounter and/or are aided by some famous individuals like Wyatt Earp, The Rifleman, Cheyenne Bodie, Diamond Jim Brady, Bat Masterson, Judge Roy Bean, and President Teddy Roosevelt. Brady is also feeling that he might not have what he has to win; it seems that some time ago in Europe he lost a big game to an Englishman, and by strange coincidence he is also at the game

Phantom's Review: Final film in the "Gambler" series. While the plot is pretty standard this is nonetheless a fun entertaining movie, mostly due to the many cameos from classic TV stars helping our hero's along the way.
    The only thing I didn't like was, literally the final scene in the movie. It's a bit of a downer, other than that this is a fun film.

• Hi

Watched Dallas starring Cary Gooper I think he made it for a bet. Raymond Massey and Steve Cochrane playing brothers the latter who was a homicidal killer tuppence short of a shilling, at first I thought it was going to be a comedy but it was just bad.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• "Ride Vaquero" (1953)
    - Robert Taylor, Ava Gardner. Anthony Quinn

Esqueda, an outlaw, attempts to force settlers King and Cordelia Cameron out of his territory. Esqueda's mother raised Rio as her own. Rio has loyalty to Esqueda but also feels the settlers should be able to stay. A showdown between the two raised as brothers is unavoidable.

Phantom's Review: Solid, well acted western. Interesting plot, plenty of action and Ava Gardner..what else do you need

• Bullet for a Badman (Audie Murphy, 1964). They aired it at night and I put it on a DVD, because it was an Audie Murphy Western, I had not seen before. - Good B-Western movie, but not Murphy´s best...

"Never apologize. It´s a sign of weakness."