Name that movie.................PLEASE!

There are 2 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,969 times. The latest Post () was by Northerner.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Here's is another attempt at ressurecting OFF TOPIC.
    Not much of an attempt really, but I would really like to find this movie. It is an Allan Ladd movie about a troop of lumberjacks who want to start cutting near a town that doesn't want them. The Female lead convinces Ladd (the forman) to ride with her. She takes him to a ghost town that had died out because of the logging industry. That is about all I remember. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Northerner.

• Northern,

Here is what I've found out from IMBd. The movie you might be talking about is Guns of the Timberland released on February 1, 1959. It co-stars Jeanne Crain.

This is the story line.

Alan Ladd is cast as Jim Hadley, who with his crew of lumberjacks, was searching for a new forest to cut.. He never thought 'to fight' for his load of wood.

Residents of the valley town of Deep Wells - led by the beautiful Laura Riley (Jeanne Crain) - recognize that without the natural protection provided by the surrounding woodlands, their homes and ranches would be covered over by mud during the heavy rains..

The interests of the inhabitants to drive out the intruders started with their refusal to give horses or supplies of any kind..and increased to blow out the logging road..

Jim - resisting the pressure to fight - was standing on legal means to get the lumber..His impetuous partner Monty Welker (Gilbert Roland) showed partiality towards a friendly settlement..

The relationship between the two 'friends' was soon damaged to the 'breaking point' when Monty was determined to open the road by same way that closed it : dynamite.

The result : a spectacular fire where Laura's young minor Bert (Frankie Avalon) was caught in the blast.. Jim reconsidered his view declaring : "We came here to cut down trees, not kids".. Before moving to another forest he was compelled into a confrontation with an uncontrolled Monty who perish i n the gunfight.. asking his partner's forgiveness..

Jim - worried and sad - as he takes the train out of town - was suddenly recovered by seeing Laura (his attractive horse trader) ready to leave the place with him for a new life..

The film, photographed in Technicolor, set against some spectacular scenery and climaxed by a forest fire - under Robert D. Webb's direction - was a routine & simple outdoor melodrama.. Frankie Avalon (in his film debut) sung some musical numbers.

As far as I know it is not released on VHS or DVD.

Hope this is it.

Hondo :cool:
    Duke Head

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

Edited once, last by Hondo Duke Lane ().

• Hondo,

That's got to be the one. Thanks very much!
    And that was a pretty good summation I might add.

Northerner. :)