Brad Pitt As "jesse James"

There are 47 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 11,992 times. The latest Post () was by DukePilgrim.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• which ones did you get as I'm also a Val Kilmer fan?

Well, so far I'd have to say that plotwise, "Kill Me Again" was my favorite, although "Thunderheart" wasn't bad. I could even stand "Salton Sea", though the first 20 or 30 minutes were tough to take, because the viewer became convinced Val was a stone doper. But I really didn't care for "Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang" or "Real Genius" at all. The first was mostly for hipsters (which I'm not) and the second was mostly for adolescents. Haven't watched "True Romance" yet.

There was an additional element in "Kill Me Again" that was very appealing. The closing credits had a wonderful rendition of "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" by Dinah Washington. That song and songbird may be before your time but it (and she) wasn't for me and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Almost worth the price of the DVD alone. (Now I'm gonna have to buy a CD with that track. :teeth_smile: )

De gustibus non est disputandum

• BTW, gt12pak, in none of the aforementioned movies was Val as good as in "Tombstone".

Stumpy, I don't think you ever will find a better role for Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday in Tombstone. I liked him in The Doors and his version of Batman wasn't awful. Another movie you might wanna check out is Wonderland. Me personally, I didn't care for it, but I've heard other people compliment it,

BTW, thanks for your comments on those movies, I'll hafta check some of those out.

Stay thirsty my friends.

• Well I personally will not waste my time and money to go see Brad Pitt as Jesse James. I can't stand Brad Pitt as actor or as a human being. He is highly over raided as a celebrity. The media gives to much attention to losers such Pitt. He is just a glamour boy that can't act even if his retirement petition depended on it. Why I dislike him most is obvious he a Hollywood liberal who champions for lost causes. He said he would never marry Angelina Jolie until the United States allows everyone to marry, meaning granting homosexuals to get married.

Does anyone here think he would standup for this great country if he witnessed others bashing of Grand Old U.S.A. I hardly think so, instead he would agree with them and spout off anti American statements like a typical left winger. Unlike John Wayne who went out of his to defend this country and portray it in a positive light unlike so many other liberal jerks who want portray us in a negative light. Brad Pitt does not the integrity or charisma to be respectfully noticed by people like me.

John Wayne earned his place in cinema history and the hearts of his fellow countrymen. It took a great deal of many years to get where he was. He didn't just one or two pictures and was A-list actor. He paid his dues, but sadly actors of today make one movie and they are A-list actors with such tremendous talent. Brad Pitt never made a good film as of yet. He totally relies on his boyish looks to get him any where.

If he should ever see the light and change from a dumb witted liberal to intelligent conservative I would support and would take the time to see his movies. Until then he is not getting any my money that’s for sure. Surprisingly guy like him who was born in Oklahoma and grew up in Missouri could to be pointless waste of talent. People in those two I just mentioned are better places with Family unity and have high morals and Brad Pitt never picked up on that.

• I've seen him in one film--don't recall the title but, he was in it with Robert Redford and I recall it being somekind of a spy-type movie. Anyway, I don't recall how he was in the movie but, I thought the movie stunk.

I don't care for Angelina Jolie but saw her in one movie called: Gia--and thought she was fantastic in that one.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Critics see Oscar in Pitt's western odyssey

Jesse James film originally seen as a dud, but bad buzz has turned around significantly

Alexandra Burroughs, CanWest News Service
    Published: Saturday, August 04, 2007

In some Hollywood circles, any press is good press, but when it comes to multimillion-dollar movie releases, bad buzz can kill.

That's been the worry for Brad Pitt's upcoming western The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, which was filmed in Alberta and in Winnipeg in 2005. After several delays, poor test screenings, and reports of infighting between its director, producers and studio, the movie looked like it was destined for the box-office boneyard.

But the bad buzz surrounding the film seems to be turning around.

One movie website called Brad Pitt's performance 'mesmerizing'

The movie was recently selected for presentation at the Toronto International Film Festival, a positive sign for many movie buffs. Furthermore, key critics who have seen early versions of the film are starting to get behind it.

"This is going to be one of the best films of all time or it's just going to be something unique -- to put it politely," says filmjerk.com publisher Edward Havens, who went into a test screening of an unfinished version in June.

After seeing the movie, Havens led an online backlash against naysayers, claiming: "Yes, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is better than Unforgiven. Better than Silverado or Wyatt Earp or any other Western in the past 30 years."

With a limited release date set for Sept. 21, audiences may yet see a film worth watching, say a growing number of online critics, who say performances by Pitt and co-star Casey Affleck are worthy of Oscars.

"Brad Pitt doesn't use a lot of words in his performance, it's all looks and internal turmoil, he is truly mesmerizing in this performance, showing a more mature actor then we have seen before," said blogger Bronson on movie website Ain't It Cool News.

Others say Roger Deakins's cinematography is some of the best in decades, which will bode well for Alberta as the movie's host. Although Havens says the setting "isn't a love letter to the landscape like Brokeback Mountain," it is so striking other moviemakers may start looking to Alberta for future films.

Still, questions remain about the film, especially after The Times of London reported in May a feud between Warner Bros. and director Andrew Dominik, who had failed to change the movie "from a leisurely poetic film into an action packed crowd-pleaser, or even shorten its title."

"Usually when a movie is delayed like this there's trouble with it," says CanWest movie critic Jay Stone. "Often delays occur when studios hold a movie because they can't stand it, but in this case it sounds more like a creative dispute -- they just can't agree.

"My own thought is that this will be a meditative film about the nature of America as seen through the Wild West. This movie will give us something to think about," says Stone, who expects to see the movie at TIFF.

"As a movie-goer, I would rather go to see an hour and a half of Wild West excitement. In my opinion, three hours is too long to be in a theatre."

But some say the film's length is justified, and credit Pitt for pushing through with a film different than most Hollywood fare.

"The cut I saw clocked in at nearly three hours, taking its time establishing characters. When the studio asked my opinion on what parts felt too long, I was completely stumped," said Cakebite, another Ain't It Cool blogger.

"This is a case of a star using his power for good," says Havens. "It's a movie that goes against everything we've seen from Hollywood for 20 years. I can't wait to see the final version."

seemed to go quiet about it... now it looks like it's back in the news with a release date in September!

seemed to go quiet about it... now it looks like it's back in the news with a release date in September!

http://www.canada.com/vancouve…19-4649-b43a-o3d57730d468

• [quote='may2','http://dukewayne.com/bb/index.php?thread/&postID=51970#post51970']Critics see Oscar in Pitt's western odyssey

One movie website called Brad Pitt's performance 'mesmerizing'
    /quote]

Can't imagine that in no conditions. Don't like him.
    Regards,
    Senta

• Lets hope it is an "action packed crowd-pleaser".

The only good thing is that if Pitt's western is an success it may green light other western projects that would not have been made.

Mike