There are 71 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 15,808 times. The latest Post () was by Bek.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Just wondering has anyone got/like/work with cattle, I have steers that I was gunna show this year but they're not up to scratch.

But however at school we get our own animal for the whole show season, originally I was going to take a Charolais but there was this unbroken Droughtmaster, so I'd thought I'd give breaking her in a try. Anyways this was around a month and a half ago. Well for about a month I was being dragged, charged at, kicked, she dragged me into a gate once, that wasn't nice, I got skinned burnt off my fingers from rope burn that same day, so that day wasn't very good for me.

After all the bad stuff happened, Mark, a guy at our school that has his own stud, said at the start of this week if she goes ya wack her over the nose with the lead, she'll learn soon not to go ya. And as Mark said, she went me 3 times and got a wack over the nose( I didn't really wanna do it but she's 9 months old, I had to do something and we had to be ready by this friday) she's gone me a couple of times since, and got a wack, and she's been as good as gold, leading awesome, i can even lean on her now when I'm talking! I'm really happy about that because it means shes learning to trust me.

She's absolutely brilliant with a show cane.

A few days ago was the first big hurdle since she started to go well, well at least I thought it would be. THE LOADING RAMP.

I thought she'd go nuts, and to everyone's amazement, she just walked straight up, i patted her and she walked straight back down, and I was so happy, I put a little bit extra in her feed, even tho I'm not supposed to as I said I was just so happy.

we had a show today and she was a bit jumpy but didn't go psycho so I'm pretty happy.

Has anyone else got any stories to share.

The youngest member of the JWMB! And proud Cowgirl!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Bek;

Here is a little picture story of one of Duke's and Louis Johnson's Bull Sales at the 26 Bar Ranch back in the early 1970s. Duke and Louis had the Best Herd of Hereford Cattle in the U.S. for over 18 years. :)

Because you are into Horses and Cattle I will make up another small picture story of some of Duke's Cattle. Until I can get the pictures together you can go to the Site Below for a look at one of Duke's and Louis Johnson's Bull Sales. :D

We found Duke's old "Bull Sales Cane" up in the Big White Barn, and I now have it in my house at the 26 Bar Ranch! :fear2:

I have been around Cattle and Horses most of my life, as most of my family were Ranchers here in Arizona from the early 1900s. I myself raised what we called "Polled Herefords" No Horns, at my Ranch in California back in the 1970s but nothing as Fancy as Duke and Louis Johnson had at their Ranches. :fear:

BULL SALE AT 26 BAR RANCH

Chilibill :cowboy:

• Thanks for that Bill, those are some good lookin' animals.

BTW At the show today we got Supreme Champion Poll Hereford exhibit, so we're very happy.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Bek, This is for you! While going though more things at the Ranch I found a old Catalog for the Cattle Sales at the 26 Bar Ranch. :)

Because you are into Horses and Cattle I put up a few Pages so you could see what some of the 26 Bar Cattle looked like. It was a very large Catalog with Hundreds of Heads of Cattle for sale Bulls, Cows, Heifers, Calfs and Horses! :rolleyes:

There might be more of the Members that are into Cattle and Horses like you and I, but I am not going to Hold My Breath!!! :fear2:

CATTLE SALES CATALOG

• When I was in High School I worked on a Dairy and exercised horses. The Dairy I worked on had Jersey’s; working with Dairy cows has to be one of the most frustrating jobs there is, they are just not very bright animals. We had locking feed gates (They look something like this) well unless you would flip the latch on the top it would not lock. Everyday a cow would stick its head through the feed gate push down to eat moving the locking bar over, but not locking it. When the cow was done eating it would try and pull it’s head straight back, instead of up and back, and would get “stuck”. This of course would cause the cow to get distressed because it was “stuck”. The first time I had to deal with this I figured I would just lift the cows head up a bit and it would be free. Well as hard as I would try and lift the cow would push down, thus staying “stuck” and getting more distressed. Ok, it didn’t want me to help life its head so I tried pushing down, well the cow would just sit there and let me push, no fight or resistance, I still don’t understand that. I finally found that if I hit it on the top of its head it would lift it up and be free. Looking back on it I was no quick study either, since I had to go through this with a few cows before I figured out they all did it. Then when I would walk through the feed barn and see a “stuck” cow I would just walk by knock it on the head as I walked by and it would lift its head, it was nice to not have to waste time dealing with that problem any more.

I was also in FFA (Future Farmers of America) for a year and showed a Jersey heifer. It was fun and in the last show of the year we won Junior Grand Champion. I had a blast going to the fairs and showing my cow. I hope to be able to get one of my kids into that some day, but right now I live in the Silicon Valley, the south end of it, and all the great farmland is being plowed under for homes. I will digress if I go any further with this…

Oh, I have to share this too Cows with guns

You can roll a turd in powdered sugar but that doesn’t make it a doughnut.

• erthomp;

So you live in Silicon Valley, I can remember in the 1940s you could drive thou the Valley and see nothing but Farms and Ranches. :rolleyes:

Same with where I had the Ranch at Paso Robles, California in the 1970s and early 1980s and raised Cattle and Arab Horses is now Wall To Wall Wine Vineyards. :(

All my Children were in the FFA and loved it! :D

Loved your "Cows With Guns!" :jump:

• Loved the little Cows with Guns movie.

Not a big dairy fan myself, as I've always been around and shown beef cattle, although the Jersey's are nice.

At my school we have Charolais, Droughtmaster's, Polled Herefords and Lowlines(which are miniature Angus).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• We've got another show this weekend, last year we did really well at this particular show, we won Supreme Champion British Bull with our Lowline bull, hopefully I'll have pictures, and I'll let everyone know how we go :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Well I don't have any pictures, :(

But here's the results.

We got Supreme Champion Poll Hereford Exhibit with Anmaur Highland Queen, Senior Champion Lowline Female with Nekarbo Sanctuary Celest, Reserve Champion Senior Lowline Female with Vitulus Yquem, Reserve Champion Junior Lowline Bull with Loc-Hi Altitude, Reserve Champion Junior Charolais Female with Charnelle Digna, Ridgetop Annabelle placed 3rd in Charolais Female Under 18 months class, Balcara Jade placed 3rd in Droughtmaster Under 12 months class, Pondaova Alice, Balcara Jodie(my heifer) and Loc-Hi Zoe didn't place in Charolais Under 18 months, Droughtmaster Under 12 months and Lowline under 3 years classes respectively.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Hello all
    Liked the cows with guns video. Bek I don't have much to offer this category. I have cousins who had a dairy farm near Edmonton Alberta then switched to beef. Due to some cases of mad cow in Canada all sales of Canadian beef to the states were cancelled for years and like all the other Canadians selling beef my relatives took a loss. The situation has changed but I am not sure if they are going to get back into it. They have focussed on grain crops and working off the land driving truck. Driving pays well enough but means a lot of time away from home. I spent some time with friends on their dairy farm and had a few interesting experiences at calving time. Even though my time on ranches and experience is limited I like to hear about the details of making a living that way. Sounds like your stock did very well at the show. take care murray :cowboy:

Greetings from North of the 49th

• Yeah we did do really well, we were all very happy, we have a show team meeting tomorrow so I'm going to try and get pictures of everyone with their animals then, so I can show them off to everyone. :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Hi all

Bek, I'm afraid that like Murray I don't know
    anything about cattle, Although I do know how
    I like my steak. Congratulations on your awards,
    I'm sure you worked very hard to get them, your
    family must be very proud of you, well done.

I liked the cows with guns video.

Emmanuel

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.

• No, haven't worked with cattle, but I have occasionally worked with reindeers, does that count? They are lighter than cows, but are half-wild, have antlers, and have to be collected and separated twice a year. Instead of horses, snow mobiles are used in the work

I don't believe in surrenders.

• For you folks in Ireland, can you tell me anything about Kerry cattle?

I've heard they're supposed to be a good dual purpose cow with very good quality milk.

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

Originally posted by Tbone@Jun 6 2006, 09:32 PM
    For you folks in Ireland, can you tell me anything about Kerry cattle?

I've heard they're supposed to be a good dual purpose cow with very good quality milk.

Only thing I know is that they have a herd in the Killarney National park, and it's probably the only bigger herd left of that breed

I don't believe in surrenders.

• Well I'm very happy because I just found out that I will be showing at the Australian National Dexter Championships on the 8th and 9th of July, this is a great oppprtunity for me, because I want to go into the cattle industry when I'm older, I'll be showing for at least 1 stud, and maybe more, I can't wait! I'm going over to the lady's house(that owns the dexters) with my friend Simon on saturday so we can meet the animals, and the people that we will be working with. :):):)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Thanks, I'm really excited, because this is kind of my big break in the cattle industry(if you can call it that), hopefully.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Well I'm off to another show tomorrow, showing Dexters. There isn't many Dexter breeders around(in fact most of them have there animals on the same property) so we should go fairly well, we've got some pretty good stock so I'm confident we'll do well.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]