Last Non Western You Watched

There are 8,505 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,461,994 times. The latest Post () was by OriginalMexicanBob.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Last night, I watched two of the movies on TCM that were shown in memory of Charlton Heston. I did not catch the first movie but, cought most of Ben-Hur and Khartoum. I was too tired to stay up and watch Major Dundee.

Tonight or on Sunday night, im going to watch: The Bedfore Incident in honor of Richard Widmark.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Planet of the Apes and superb documentary on making of all the Planet of the Apes movies. Excellent value as a boxed set. HMV are selling all five movies & documentary for £10.00. Glad I waited!!!

Mike

• I started watching my Criterion version of Seven Samurai. I finished disc 1 and will hopefully get through disc 2 tonight. If you have not watched this movie before, it is actually quite good even with the subtitles.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Finally finished Stargate, then I watched: The Bedford Incident w/ Richard Widmark. Started this morning, the 1st episode of the 3rd season of: Daniel Boone.

• Watched "Coma" with Michael Douglas and Genevieve Bujold. I believe Ed Harris had his first movie role as a bit part in this movie and Rip Torn looked awfully young. Of course, Tom Sellick had a bit part as well.
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

"Not hardly!!!"

• Last night there was a mini-marathon of some of Don Knotts movies played on AMC. It sure was a nice change of pace to see them. Those movies were: The Reluctant Astronaut, The Shakiest Gun in the West and How to Frame a Figg? Thanks for the laughs Don, and Rest in Peace.

• Finally got to see "Flyboys." The plot wasn't anything spectacular but the aerial scenes were boffo! They didn't use any real names out of history, but the characterizations were similar, I'm sure.

"Not hardly!!!"

• Ultimate Avengers: The Movie.
    I watched it again last night, to see if it was indeed a movie worth keeping. The conclusions I reached were these: Captain America is awesome and when they make a movie of him, I will be the first in line. The animation on the other was mediocre and brought down the movie.
    As such I am going to get rid of both U.A. movies

• I've spent most of the afternoon watching episodes of the second season, "Hawaii Five-0", which was filmed around 1969. Man, I had forgotten how great the gals looked back then wearing those itty-bitty miniskirts. I mean, they had legs up to here............:thumbs_up:

Sure wish I was about 40 years younger. :teeth_smile:

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Started disc Nr. 2 of Season Nr. 3 of: Daniel Boone. SO far, Season Nr. 3 is better than Season Nr. 2 was IMO. Season Nr. 1 is still the best season so far.

Oops, accidently posted it in the wrong thread. :ohmy:(ot):yeaahh:

• Watched "The Quiet Man". Great movie but after watching the DVD it becomes even more apparent that someone needs to restore the movie as the transfer on the Lionsgate version that I have is not that god at all.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• The Mrs. and our almost 18 year old daughter have been immersed in a marathon of the second season of the TV series "24" - I haven't seen it, but they seem addicted to it.

Recently, the kids rented The Rundown, a flick from 2003 with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and Christopher Walken. Some pretty crazy (read that unbelievable) action scenes. Kind of funny in some spots, but not one I'd feel compelled to watch again.

Last night, the kids brought out Veggie Tales - the ones with "Saturday morning fun, Sunday morning values." I have to say, I really enjoy them - some subtle, understated humor that only adults would get (not off-color, just reliant on a longer life span and greater life experience). The 11 year old is realizing that the more he learns, the more references he gets (like to Shakespeare, that adults appreciate, is over the younger kids' heads but doesn't detract from the story if you don't get it . . . did that make sense???). Anyway, if you have never seen any Veggie Tales, I'd recommend them, especially if you have kids or grandkids. It will be something you can watch together and both enjoy, that is totally clean and even has some good lessons, to boot.

Chester :newyear:

• "Juggernaut" with Richard Harris, Omar Sharif and a host of other recognizable actors. Good suspenseful movie about bombs on board a passenger liner caught in rough seas.

"Not hardly!!!"

Recently, the kids rented The Rundown, a flick from 2003 with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and Christopher Walken. Some pretty crazy (read that unbelievable) action scenes. Kind of funny in some spots, but not one I'd feel compelled to watch again.

As a pretty solid Dwayne Johnson fan, I find that statement blasphemous... especially when I myself consider The Rundown to be his best action film.

Anyway as for me the last non western I watched was, The Game Plan starring Dwayne Johnson. It's a great family film has nothing that I find questionable, and it is one of the first films I have seen in a while that shows that family is important.

• I just finished watching "Sands Of Iwo Jima" starring John Wayne, I was disappointed to learn that this movie was not as good as I remember.

The first half hour drags as too much of the storyline centres around characters such as Conway played by John Agar. Agar was a significant weakness within the movie, his style of acting is bland and his romantic scenes were very stilted.

In addition to this there are a number of stock characters that were in general uninteresting to watch and one character in particular was very camp and very OTT.

However the scenes John Wayne was in were brilliant, his presence lifting them above the level of mediocrity and his character was rather interesting and complex.

There were however some particularly great scenes in the movie such as Duke refusing to break his rifles squads line despite hearing calls from a friend needing help in the battlefield, Dukes touching encounter with a prostitute and Dukes innovative teaching styles which involved dancing with a soldier. The only good scene I can recall that didn't involve John Wayne was Forrester's characters mistake in the battlefield which cost the life of 'Greek,' other than this the remaining scenes fall into the mundane category.

Overall a mediocre film pushed into the category of a good film solely because of the performance of John Wayne.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• watched Evan Almighty quite funny to watch him trying to do what is asked of him and the way he goes form clean shaven to hairy really funny. good family movie

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• . . . as for me the last non western I watched was, The Game Plan starring Dwayne Johnson. It's a great family film has nothing that I find questionable, and it is one of the first films I have seen in a while that shows that family is important.

I agree wholeheartedly - we watched that one a month or so ago, and I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed that movie. And it did a great job of highlighting the importance of family.

Chester :newyear: