PC and Technical Help Forum

There are 369 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 141,151 times. The latest Post () was by The Irish Duke.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Robbie,

If you want to use Internet Explorer, you should update to the new Internet Explorer 7 that was just released a couple weeks ago. It's very similar to Firefox.

I too had some problems with the old Internet Explorer 6 not working correctly. The update appears to have fixed everything.

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

• I don't want to tell anybody what browser to use. I just tell people what works for me and what seems to be less "buggy" for me. That being said I have been using IE 7 on occasion and find that it still has a few bugs in it that are really getting annoying. One being that it seems to want to lock up and I have to end the program using the task manager. When I do that, if I have other IE 7 windows open it closes all them as well. So I just keep chugging along with Firefox and don't get those odd problems that IE seems to always come up with.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I use an IE based browser called SlimBrowser. It is a tabbed browser and is very fast. It has a lot of cool features.. like you can group web pages together, so to open all the pages all you need to do is click on the group. It also has an AutoLogin feature that saves password and usernames, it then adds it to a list, you select it out of the list and it logs you in. These are just a few, I really like it and have been using it for a few years.

You can roll a turd in powdered sugar but that doesn’t make it a doughnut.

Originally posted by SXViper@Dec 5 2006, 01:18 AM
    I don't want to tell anybody what browser to use. I just tell people what works for me and what seems to be less "buggy" for me. That being said I have been using IE 7 on occasion and find that it still has a few bugs in it that are really getting annoying. One being that it seems to want to lock up and I have to end the program using the task manager. When I do that, if I have other IE 7 windows open it closes all them as well. So I just keep chugging along with Firefox and don't get those odd problems that IE seems to always come up with.

[snapback]37500[/snapback]

Viper,

Check your add-ons. I too, had problems at first with IE 7 locking up. I disabled some of the offending add-ons and its worked just fine for me ever since. Apparently, some external add-ons that worked with IE 6 are not compatible with IE 7.

• Kevin

Thanks for that, it has solved my problem.

I personally agree with Sxviper and I don't think I will bother returning to IE for several reasons. Not only was there the cookies issue but the fact that I used to get a multitude of error messages while using it and pages closing at will due to javascript errors and in addition to that it I used to frequently get messages asking me if I wanted to report a certain fault. I have really gone of IE since using Firefox and I don't think I'll return unless Firefox causes problems in the future, who would have thought something using the name of an awful Clint Eastwood movie would be so good.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• My issue with FireFox is that it is slow. It opens slow and opens pages slower than IE. That’s why I found an IE based browser, I get the speed of IE with out the IE issues.

• Hi erthomp143

Funny you should mention that, one of the many plusses of firefox that I have found is its speed, I think its much faster than IE, I guess its just different strokes for different folks.

Regards
    Robbie

• I may have spoken too soon, when I play a video clip at Youtube it is not as smooth as it was with IE. It stutters and pauses a lot, maybe I simply need to download an additional software package, does anyone know?

Regards
    Robbie

• Hi,

It's good to see this Forum,
    has solved at least two queries so far.

If any other member, has a technically related question,
    we certainly have a wealth of knowledgeable
    on this here board.

Thanks fellas

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hello All

The debate about Blu Ray and HD DVD reminds me of the similar battle between Betamax v VHS in early 1980’s.

As you may be are aware I use DVD projection in my home cinema so I am capable of generating a picture of 5-10ft wide which far exceeds the size output currently available from the biggest TV sets. I am obtaining results as good as or exceeding 35mm cinema quality depending on the source and quality of DVD.

I haven’t seen an effective demonstration of either new format to see whether they have any quantifiable benefits over regular DVD but considering the high costs and compatibility issues that need to resolved my advice would be to wait until the dust settles with one format dominant and prices of players and DVDs reflect a more realistic market price.

Mike

• Hi Keith

This forum of yours was certainly a very good idea, and by complete coincedence I have another question. :P

When I go to the start menu of my computer in order to select the internet option (firefox) it takes between 5 and 8 minutes for the Internet screen to appear. Why is this the case and is there any way of speeding this sequence up. Incidentally it was equally as long when I used IE.

Thanks.

Regards
    Robbie

• Well it can be allot of things going on with your computer. So, I will ask a couple questions.

1. How old is your computer? obvious answer to this is, if its older then 3 years you will have problems with newer applications, especially if you haven't reloaded your OS recently.
    2. How much physical memory do you have? anything less then 512mb is just about unacceptable with the newer apps using so much memory.
    3. What are you running for a operating system? Older OS's will have trouble playing video or the newer apps.

Also, if you have a older OS and you have not upgraded your media player, chances are there is a update that might help you. Even though you might not actually load the media player to play the videos in youtube, the website still loads and uses codecs(Codecs encode a stream or signal for transmission, storage or encryption and decode it for viewing or editing.) to play the videos and the new ones will be loaded or available for download is you are using a newer media player.

These are just a few things, there maybe more as you answer these question.

As far as your problems playing videos, make sure that you have the latest video drivers for your video card installed. Also, check to see how many other applications are running or even loaded in your system tray. Apps loaded in your system tray use memory and the more that are running the less your system has to use for graphics/video. 1 more thing that I can think of is to make sure you are defragmenting your hard drive on a regular basis. A fragmented hard drive can slow a system down more then a person thinks.

-John Wayne

• Also check your computer for spyware. I was amazed how much faster my computer ran after I used SpyBot and SpywareBlaster.

Originally posted by ejgreen77@Dec 13 2006, 10:47 PM
    Also check your computer for spyware. I was amazed how much faster my computer ran after I used SpyBot and SpywareBlaster.

[snapback]37828[/snapback]

Very good idea ejgreen. If you need links to download these 2 useful tools, let us know and we can post them here.

-John Wayne

Originally posted by ejgreen77@Dec 14 2006, 03:47 AM
    Also check your computer for spyware. I was amazed how much faster my computer ran after I used SpyBot and SpywareBlaster.

[snapback]37828[/snapback]

Hi,

I agree with the above,
    I run both these every single day,
    and each day it picks up at lease 5-10 tracking cookies,
    but when I first run Adware another good one,
    it picked up loads, of them little spies!!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I run spybot, adaware, and AVG Anti-virus these are all free. A virus can also really slow down your system performance so if you have not ran a virus check lately you should do that to.

Another question would be do all your applications take a long time to open?

My laptop has a Pentium(2 or 3) 135 Mhz (I think) with 256 megs of ram. I have loaded Windows XP on it and it runs slow compared to my desktop which has an Athlon 64 3000+ and 1 gig of ram, but the laptop still runs all of my applications just fine it just takes a bit longer for windows to open and what not.

• Yes other applications can indeed take some time to open, but this was not always the case, they used to open quite quickly.

I suspect that I do have a spyware problem, what is the address for the spybot program?

Thanks for all the help thus far.

Regards
    Robbie

• Hi Robbie,

erthomp and Todd are invaluable with their expertise,
    As I said earlier I run both these,
    You can download

Spybot

here,
    scroll down to the top one.
    No need to make a donation,
    ant it gives updates nearly everyday.
    Picks up Firefox tracking cookies all the time.
    When you first run it, you may be quite suprised
    of what's lurking on your PC!!

Also run these as well,

Adware-Personal

Spyware Blaster

I run them all daily!!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Although I can see spyware/adaware being a problem, I wouldn't blame everything that you are describing on it. Refer to my post above to maybe look into some of your other problems.

You can get most of the programs we have talked about at Download.com . Just do a search on it.

-John Wayne