Politics

There are 2,687 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 836,870 times. The latest Post () was by Kevin.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• two highly-educated American scholars, one of whom is a professor at Harvard.

http://ksgnotes1.harvard.edu/Research/wpaper.nsf/rwp/RWP06-011/$File/rwp_
    06_011_walt.pdf

Is that, "is a professor at Harvard", or, "was a professor at Havard" :ohmy:

Very interesting article. Gives one some insight as to why we are paying $5.00 a gallon for diesel.

Chester :newyear:

• To further expound on my previous post, let me just say that I wish with all my heart that the U.S. would adopt Switzerland's policy of strict neutrality and stop meddling in the affairs of other countries, especially those in the Middle East.

We could start making a lot of watches for export, do a lot of clandestine banking and provide guards to the Vatican. Oh - and breed St. Bernards for saving people in the snow!:laugh::laugh::wink_smile:
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

"Not hardly!!!"

• We could start making a lot of watches for export, do a lot of clandestine banking and provide guards to the Vatican. Oh - and breed St. Bernards for saving people in the snow!:laugh::laugh::wink_smile:

Works for me, Jay. Let the rest of the world defend themselves, says I.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Very interesting post,Chester.
    and How about USS"bushido"McCain?

regards,
    H.sanada

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

• With all respect, Sanada, I can remember a time in the not-too-distant past when your own island of Japan totally dominated Asia with its' military might. In other words, Japan has the means to maintain peace in Asia but lacks the will. It's a situation very like that of the United States - this country has the military means to completely destroy any real or potential enemy - what's lacking is the POLITICAL will.

Since 1945, the U.S. has more or less provided defense for the entire free world, allowing other countries who call themselves our allies to freeload on the back of American taxpayers. IMO, that is total BS.

I agree the U.S. balance sheet becomes strange and what's lacking is the
    Political will.
    but,do you remember that after WW2 ,Japanese dicision what Japan doesn't have military forces and no nuclear weapons was made by the
    guidance of GHQ(General MacArthur's). also it is good,i think.
    Does Japan aim at the second Switzerland if The Treaty of Mutual Cooperation and Security between the U.S. and Japan doesn't function
    effectively?

H.sanada

~Steve McQueen~

• I'm aware that following WW2, the Japanese people adopted a Constitution (at the direction of MacArthur) that rejected war and Japanese rearmament. But, my friend, that was 63 years ago and much has changed since then. I personally feel it is unreasonable to expect American taxpayers to defend Japan from aggression by other Asian countries for all time. Just as I feel it is unreasonable for Americans to defend Europe from Russian aggression forever. Or South Korea from North Korean aggression forever. Whatever happened to the idea of countries defending themselves?

• If Obama becomes president (as looks very likely), we'll probably be asking other countries to defend us, since I seriously doubt we'll have military forces sufficient to defend ourselves.

• [url=http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,2144,3503828,00.html] See [/url] what I mean by other countries not willing do do their part in defending against aggression.

• We live in a much different world today. I will predict that if Obama is elected president, Europe will be attacked and they will blame America for it. Why, becasue the ememy knows that Obama is weak and will do nothing but retreat. We will see gas prices increase and may double within a year of his presidency. Our embassies will be attack all over and I think that our country will be attacked within four years.

How do I know? Obama is against war, and will sacrifice everyone so we won't offend his base.

McCain will defend this country and our allies. You may not like the choices we have in this years election, but if Obama is chosen because you don't like and vote for McCain, then you will know in a hurry the consequences of not choosing McCain. I wish we had better choices, but we don't.

Just a thought and I am not aiming at anyone, just making a general comment.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Anyway,The anti-American feeling is hardly seen among the Japanese
    people,because there is a common view that the prosperity of Japan
    after the war is a result of military and economic support of the U.S.
    However,President Bush suddenly recognized North Korea as a friendly country.It's true to be causing uneasiness that Japan is deserted by the
    U.S. at the emergency.
    President Bush is in a hurry of some results immediately before his term of presidency ends.
    If not only but also the U.S. protects North Korea to gain the rare metal
    (like oil at somewhere),Most Japanese will blame America for it,IMO.

regards,
    H.sanada

~Steve McQueen~

• Don't believe what you hear. There are things going on right now, but the president is very cautious. There are talks going on, and there is talk the North Koreans cooperating, but this has happened before, and I do know the president is aware of the past. There is little that is going on from our end, so it is still up to North Korea, but they are not getting off the hook that easy, or I hope so.

. . . . . and I hope you are wrong my friend.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Don't believe what you hear. There are things going on right now, but the president is very cautious. There are talks going on, and there is talk the North Koreans cooperating, but this has happened before, and I do know the president is aware of the past. There is little that is going on from our end, so it is still up to North Korea, but they are not getting off the hook that easy, or I hope so.

. . . . . and I hope you are wrong my friend.

Thanks for your kind comments,Hondo
    I will going to trust your country where J.W. was born
    as lomg as there's a person like you.
    And today,I read in the Reuters news with great interest
    that "Rice says North Korea must agree to strong verification."
    http://www.reuters.com/article…ews/idUSN2340380920080724

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice is right on target,i think.
    This article summed up exactly how i feel.

regards,
    H.sanada

~Steve McQueen~

• This is something that will upset most of you about Obama, and it will not get any coverage on TV. This is quiet lengthy.

- John Wayne quote

Edited once, last by Hondo Duke Lane ().