Politics

There are 2,687 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 831,392 times. The latest Post () was by Kevin.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I must say that the political climate is a lot different than it was 24 hours ago. I don't know who I am interested in at this time. Our primary is on February 5 (Super Tuesday) which is a month from today. I am looking very hard at Thompson, and Huckabee, but I am very open to anyone else in the GOP. Forget about the other party. I wouldn't vote for them if they paid me a million dollars (they'll only tax it back to them when they get elected). Interesting time we're looking at in the next month.

I am glad to see Hillary doing so well. Hope she keeps up her composure in New Hampshire like she did in Iowa.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I must say that the political climate is a lot different than it was 24 hours ago. I don't know who I am interested in at this time. Our primary is on February 5 (Super Tuesday) which is a month from today. I am looking very hard at Thompson, and Huckabee, but I am very open to anyone else in the GOP. Forget about the other party. I wouldn't vote for them if they paid me a million dollars (they'll only tax it back to them when they get elected). Interesting time we're looking at in the next month.
    I am glad to see Hillary doing so well. Hope she keeps up her composure in New Hampshire like she did in Iowa.

AMEN!!!
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Well, since it doesn't seem likely that we'll see a reincarnation of Ronny or Maggie, I think I'll pass. I'm no longer willing to vote for the lesser of two evils.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Did the world go mad. Here's a prime example of political correctness from the British Bolshevik Corporation aka BBC. Remember dont play with your lightbulbs!!!!:hyper:

Low-energy bulb disposal warning

Low-energy bulbs contain a small amount of mercury

Disposing bulbs safely

The Environment Agency has called for more information to be made available on the health and environmental risks posed by low-energy light bulbs.
    It says because the bulbs contain small amounts of mercury, more information about safe recycling is needed.
    It also wants health warnings printed on packaging and information on how to clear up smashed bulbs in the home.
    But a toxicologist has played down the risks, saying several bulbs would have to be smashed at once to pose a danger.
    Mercury
    Environmental scientist Dr David Spurgeon said: "Because these light bulbs contain small amounts of mercury they could cause a problem if they are disposed of in a normal waste-bin.
    "It is possible that the mercury they contain could be released either into the air or from land-fill when they are released into the wider environment.
    "That's a concern, because mercury is a well known toxic substance."
    If you broke five bulbs in a small unventilated room then you might be in short term danger

Dr David Ray, toxicologist

Official advice from the Department of the Environment states that if a low-energy bulb is smashed, the room needs to be vacated for at least 15 minutes.
    A vacuum cleaner should not be used to clear up the debris, and care should be taken not to inhale the dust.
    Instead, rubber gloves should be used, and the broken bulb put into a sealed plastic bag - which should be taken to the local council for disposal.
    However, this advice is not printed on the packaging that low-energy bulbs are sold in.
    Toxicologist Dr David Ray, from the University of Nottingham, said about 6-8mg of mercury was present in a typical low-energy bulb, which he described as a "pretty small amount".
    "Mercury accumulates in the body - especially the brain," he said. "The biggest danger is repeated exposure - a one off exposure is not as potentially dangerous compared to working in a light bulb factory.
    "If you smash one bulb then that is not too much of a hazard. However, if you broke five bulbs in a small unventilated room then you might be in short term danger."
    Information campaign
    Adrian Harding of the Environment Agency said: "More information does need to be made available by retailers, local authorities and the government to alert people to the best way of dealing with these products when they become waste."
    Louise Molloy from the environment group Greenpeace said that a public information campaign was needed in order to advise people how to dispose of low-energy bulbs safely.
    But she added: "Rather than being worried about the mercury these light bulbs contain, the general public should be reassured that using them will actually reduce the amount of mercury overall in our atmosphere."
    The lighting industry and the government say the risk of mercury pollution posed by low energy bulbs is minimal.
    Kevin Verdun of the Lighting Association said: "Fluorescent strips, like the ones used in garages and kitchens, also contain mercury and have been used for many years without poisoning anyone."
    But he said that warnings on how to safely dispose of smashed bulbs "might" be put on packaging in future, if the government and the public demanded it. This month shops in the UK will begin the process of phasing out traditional tungsten bulbs as part of a government plan to completely replace them by 2011. Ministers hope that using the more environmentally-friendly bulbs will save at least save 5m tonnes-worth of carbon dioxide emissions every year.

• Did the world go mad. Here's a prime example of political correctness from the British Bolshevik Corporation aka BBC. Remember dont play with your lightbulbs!!!!:hyper:

I remember when I was a kid, there were several times I have actually played with mercury because it was such a fascinating substance. Of course back then nobody told us it was "dangerous" to our health.

I read on the 'net a day or so ago that those curlicue bulbs can also cause migraine headaches. Guess we're damned if we do and damned if we don't.

• I remember when I was a kid, there were several times I have actually played with mercury because it was such a fascinating substance. Of course back then nobody told us it was "dangerous" to our health.

I read on the 'net a day or so ago that those curlicue bulbs can also cause migraine headaches. Guess we're damned if we do and damned if we don't.

You know the goal of the liberals is to get the people back to the caves and work for them so they can enjoy the spoils of life, and we are their servants. I thought you knew that stumpy.:wink_smile:

I mean global warming is destroying the world. Only three quarters of the nation is in the deep freeze. It should be 90%. Oh, the other 10% us for the liberals to enjoy their luxury life.

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• You know the goal of the liberals is to get the people back to the caves and work for them so they can enjoy the spoils of life

Ain't gonna happen. There are too many folks who think like you and me, Mike, and who have the means (our firearms) to prevent it.

• I remember playing with mercury too. Even set the odd abestos pad on fire with a bunsun burner. Didnt know I was living life in the fast lane!!!

At least I have stockpiled old style lightbulbs.

• If the government would be so concerned with their conduct as they are with the conduct of the U.S. then maybe we'd have a government with integrity and honor. They are so busy trying to take the sawdust from our eye that they ignore the plank in their own eye. Give me a break.

- John Wayne quote

• American politics is big news in the UK this week with the battle for the Democrat nomination taking centre stage.

I must admit that the American presidential campaign seems to be something on par to a marathon, while over here the race for prime minister could be classified as a short sprint.

I am actually very interested in the campaign and would like to know how the election campaign works within the USA, could someone highlight the main aspects of it?

Thanks in advance.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• Rob,
    You hit the nail on the head when you characterize our presidential campaigns as marathons and I personally would much prefer a short sprint, such as you folks enjoy.

Up until about 30 or 40 years ago, presidential candidates were selected by votes of state delegates at party conventions and to the best of my recollection, the campaigns were much shorter. However, it's said that candidates themselves were selected by party insiders in "smoke-filled" rooms, thus rendering the process "undemocratic", because only a select few picked the presidential candidates. After enduring too many years of what seems to be a perpetual campaign, I wish we'd go back to that old system.

[url=http://books.google.com/books?id=7rzmTG9kolgC&pg=PA95&lpg=PA95&dq=%22american+nominating+system%22&source=web&ots=ki4eqyGuAr&sig=AdN1WIPZopBs1Ugu8ZDEWomRwE0#PPA1,M1] Here's [/url] a pretty good primer on how our selection system works.

• Rob,

Here are some more links that contain information about how US presidential candidates are selected.

I wish there was a law that limited these campaigns to maybe six months at the most.

A lot of people will not want to hear this but it's a strongly-held opinion of mine that democracy, as a political system, is vastly overrated. Here in the states we read news articles almost every day that reveal most Americans cannot name their congressional representatives. And yet these ignoramuses are responsible for voting into office the clowns who will govern us. Hell, if they can't name their representatives, how can they be expected to know anything about the issues.

Way too many Americans get most of their news from (a) network TV, or (b) major newspapers such as the New York Times, Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, USA Today, etc. Almost without exception, the news sources in (a) and (b) are overwhelmingly left-wing, which means Americans get their news from biased sources which nearly always support Democrats. So you see, the deck is stacked against those of us on the right from the get-go.

• . . . . . . . . . .

Way too many Americans get most of their news from (a) network TV, or (b) major newspapers such as the New York Times, Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, USA Today, etc. Almost without exception, the news sources in (a) and (b) are overwhelmingly left-wing, which means Americans get their news from biased sources which nearly always support Democrats. So you see, the deck is stacked against those of us on the right from the get-go.

Stumpy,

Where do you get your source of information from? I agree with your analysis, but curious if we get the same sources of different.

As my my federal and state representatives, I do know mine. My House Representative is Terry Everett (who is retiring after this term), and Senators are Jeff Sessions, (running for reelection) and Richard Shelby. All Republicans. As for the state my legislator is Mac Gipson (R) and state senator is Wendell Mitchell (D). Heck, I even know my City Council representative, and county commissioner. I have talked to all of them except Shelby. I haven't had the opportunity to see him yet.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

- John Wayne quote