Politics

There are 2,687 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 838,304 times. The latest Post () was by Kevin.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• First, like his politics or not, he has been a man of his words. To my knowledge he has not waffled on any subject. I have not heard him say that he is for this and then turn around and say he is for that. IMO he has also shown great character in not caring about what the polls say, he has done his thing. I don’t agree with everything he has done but that doesn’t mean I can’t respect him.

Caused unrest in the Middle East? That is all the Middle East has know for thousands of years. Neither of the Golf wars caused unrest any more than Russia did.

Saddom was not a direct threat to us, but he was to our Allies in the region. He was at war with all his neighbors at one time or another. He gassed his own people; he tortured and killed anyone that opposed him. This man needed to be removed from power. Or did we need to wait until he could hurt our people? I guess some people didn’t learn from WWII.

Gas prices are high because we are stupid. We sit and let oil the companies make Billion dollar profits every quarter (3 months) and do nothing about it but bitch that the war caused this, or it was a hurricane, or whatever lame reason they throw out. You want the gas prices to come down, stop buying gas and plastics. Then it won’t matter what the cost of a drum of oil is, but it’s always easier to blame someone else than to actually do something.

You can roll a turd in powdered sugar but that doesn’t make it a doughnut.

• Another bitter, frustrated old man... that's pissed because it didn't go his way ... (see I can play that game too)

Funny... how you didn't speak to one of my points... So I will make it easy for you...

Explain how the Golf war INCREASED Middle East unrest.

• Explain how the Golf war INCREASED Middle East unrest.

I've been convinced for 25 years that all the problems we have with Arab countries are caused by our slavish devotion to Israel's security and well-being. I imagine you're familiar with the old saying about "the friend of my enemy is my enemy" and so forth. As you know, the Israeli tail has been wagging the American dog since the '67 Arab-Israeli War and the Arabs resent the hell out of that.

If the jerks in Washington would stop committing this country to be the world's policeman, priest, doctor, lawyer, father and mother, we'd be a lot better off and the ragheads would probably leave us alone. Oh, and for most of the 20th century, we were also the world's banker.

BTW, I've concluded you're a masochist since you apparently enjoy beating your head against stone walls.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• It’s kind of a shame you don’t know your history better…

1948 Arab-Israeli War (War of Independence)
    Israel directly backed by Brittan and France, politically backed by the US and Russia.

1956 Suez War
    British backed, no US involvment.

1967 (Six day war)
    No direct US involvement other than trying to work a political one before any aggression.
    The US was very upset at Israel for attacking before a political resolution could be attempted. (No US equipment or forces used by Israel)

1970 War of Attrition
    US F4’s used… Arab’s have heavy Russia backing. US takes no military action, only political and come up with the plan for the cease fire that ended the conflict.

I could go on, but is there really a need?

• I could go on, but is there really a need?

No, not really......since I doubt we'll ever agree on much, this bickering is pointless.

One thing you can take to the bank though. I've forgotten more about history and politics than you'll ever know.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• A biker is riding by the zoo, when he sees a little girl leaning into the lion's cage. Suddenly, the lion grabs her by the cuff of her jacket and tries to pull her inside to slaughter her, under the eyes of her screaming parents. The biker jumps off his bike, runs to the cage and hits the lion square on the nose with a powerful punch. Whimpering from the pain the lion jumps back letting go of the girl, and the biker brings her to her terrified parents, who thank him endlessly.

A New York Times reporter has seen the whole scene, and addressing the biker, says, "Sir, this was the most gallant and brave thing I saw a man do in my whole life."

"Why, it was nothing, really, the lion was behind bars. I just saw this little kid in danger, and acted as I felt right."

"Well, I'll make sure this won't go unnoticed. I'm a journalist from the New York Times , you know, and tomorrow's paper will have this on the first page. What motorcycle do you ride and what political affiliation do you have?"

"A Harley Davidson and I am a Republican. "

The journalist leaves.

The following morning the biker buys The New York Times to see if it indeed brings news of his actions, and reads, on first page:

BIKER GANG MEMBER ASSAULTS AFRICAN IMMIGRANT AND STEALS HIS LUNCH.

• good one chester had a good giggle about that how right it is twist the truth to sell papers

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Thanks Chester for the brake in the war of words. after reading Stumpy and Erthomp143 is why I don't talk politics.
    ps it's gulf war not golf war i've been on to many fairways to know the difference.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• Japanese doctor says, "Medicine in my country is so advanced that we can take a liver out of one man, put it into another, and have him out looking for work in six weeks."

A German doctor says, "That is nothing. We can take a lung out of one person, put it into another, and have him out looking for work in four weeks."

A British doctor says, "In my country, medicine is so advanced that we can take half a heart out of one person, put it in another, and have both of them out looking for work in two weeks."

The American doctor, not to be outdone, interjected, "You guys are way behind. We are about to take a woman with no brains,
    and no heart, put her in the White House, and very soon half the country will be out looking for
    work."