There are 14 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,527 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Well, is everyone gonna rush out and buy Microsoft's new offering? Myself, I think I'll stick with XP for awhile, at least until they get the inevitable bugs ironed out.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• You two have the right idea. If XP works for you then why change it. I would leave it a year or so before even considering the purchase of Vista for two key reasons.

1. By then it should have less bugs.
    2. It should also be a lot less expensive.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• Remember a story of somebody from Microsoft lambasting the car industry saying they were inflexible to their customers needs, inefficient and charged their customers too much for their product and they should model themselves on the computer industry.

The next day the chairman of Ford or GM responded saying that if they built
    their cars like computers you would be driving along the road and your brakes would fail, your wheels would fall off, the central locking would jam and your car would instantly ignite.

Oh it is so true:eek:

• if they built their cars like computers you would be driving along the road and your brakes would fail, your wheels would fall off, the central locking would jam and your car would instantly ignite.

Oh it is so true:eek:

Very true indeed, Mike. If Gates and MS would get their act together, then folks like us wouldn't have to buy anti-virus and anti-spyware programs. I've even give quite a bit of thought to going back to Apple. I used MacIntoshes from about 1984 until 1997 and had hardly any problems with them. And I believe even today that Windows is a direct rip-off of Apple's OS.

• Hi Jim

I often wonder do they set up the virus and spyware programs in the first place to get us to buy the stuff.

The most effective anti virus programmes tend to be the ones with least association with Microsoft.

Yes, I know a few Apple Mac Users who are equally dedicated to them. In terms of graphics for publishing and printing you tend to find Apple Mac is a much more versatile system than Windows.

The other great thing about Apple Mac is if you download something you can always find it!!

Mike

• Like anything else, in life, if it works OK, HELL LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!

It's all about money, Keith. How do ya think Bill Gates got to be the richest man in the world? Why, by selling us boobs continuously "improved" versions of Microsoft software, of course.

• Yep, no reason to run out and buy Vista.

The reason Macs don't have problems with viruses is because there are not enough users to make it worth while. If Mac gains in market share, you can bet that there will be viruses written for them.

You can roll a turd in powdered sugar but that doesn’t make it a doughnut.

• Vista will improve your computing "adventures" more then you might realize. Is it worth upgrading to? Not at this time. Gamers are finding that some of the hardware manufactures have not written drivers for there graphics cards, sound cards, ect..... This will change in a short amount of time, but it is not worth it unless you have to have the latest and greatest. I would hold off for about 6 months or so.
    Also, a couple things to consider, you present hardware may not have the "horsepower" to utliize all the features so go to the Windows Vista website and pull down the upgrade advisor and run it to see how your system stacks up. And one other thing. Don't waste your time with the Vista Home Basic, it is truly not worth the DVD it is written on. Go with the Home Premium or Ultimate versions, you will not be sorry with either one.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I didn't even know what Vista was until three days ago. We have a techie friend (actually works in computer tech positions), who came over the other night to install a graphics card, and also installed Vista at the same time. Problem is, it was a clean install after he partitioned our computer, and now all my bookmarks are on the computer somewhere, but not on my current browser . . . :cry2: . Now I have to save them all again . . . . The teenagers seem to like it, but I know I will never be aware of all the bells and whistles it has to offer. I would have been just as happy to stay with XP.

Oh, well . . .

Chester :newyear: