Across The Pond

There are 91 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 21,332 times. The latest Post () was by may2.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Do our cousins in the UK know of any good movies about the SAS? That is one military organization for which I have the greatest respect and admiration. The only movie I've ever seen about it was called "The Final Option" or, as it's sometimes called, "Who Dares Wins" (which is the SAS motto). It was about an SAS captain (forget who played the role) who infiltrated one of the hard-left groups that used to infest Great Britain. I remember Richard Widmark also played in it. Wasn't a great movie but not bad.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Hi

Others that come to mind Lester Matthews who played the Cardinal in Trouble Along The Way
    Scott Forbes who had a small role in Operation Pacific
    Margaret Mann - One of John Ford's favourite actress
    And of course Anna Lee
    And while I'm thinking Victor McLaglen and his brother Cyril

Minior actor include Howard Marion Crawford,
    And if we look at the Irish
    Sean McLory
    Barry Fitzgerald
    Arthur Shields.
    Jack McGowran

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• We’re always talking about American actors/actresses but the UK has produced some wonderfully-gifted Thespians also. My personal favorites are:

Richard Attenborough, Stanley Baker, Sean Bean, Kate Beckinsale, Jacqueline Bisset, Dirk Bogarde, Richard Burton, Michael Caine, Julie Christie, Sean Connery, Finlay Currie, Denholm Elliot, Ralph Fiennes, Edward Fox, John Gielgud, Stewart Granger, Alec Guinness, Richard Harris, Rex Harrison, Jack Hawkins, Wendy Hiller, Anthony Hopkins, Trevor Howard, John Hurt, Glenda Jackson, Glynis Johns, Deborah Kerr, Ben Kingsley, Keira Knightley, Charles Laughton, James Mason, John Mills, Roger Moore, Kenneth More, Janet Munro, Robert Newton, David Niven, Peter O’Toole, Laurence Olivier, Clive Owen, Ralph Richardson, Flora Robson, George Sanders, Jean Simmons, Terrance Stamp, Elizabeth Taylor, Emma Thompson, Richard Todd, Peter Ustinov, Kate Winslet and Susannah York.

Great list, to it I add Oliver Reed, Harry Andrews, James Donald, Nigel Greene, Eric Portman, Darrin Nesbit, Mary Dean Ure and Michael York.

Plus: Was theirs but became ours: Cary Grant, Bob Hope, Errol Flynn, Frank James (Gary) Cooper, Michael J. Fox, William Shatner, Paul Hogan, John Belushi and so many others. Mel Gibson counts as an ours-theirs and back to ours.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Speaking of Michael Caine. I thought he was pretty good in the movie: Too Late the Hero w/ Harry Andrews, Cliff Robertson, Henry Fonda and Ken Takakura.

For Stumpy:

Nigel Greene was the one who played the Colour Sergeant in Zulu.

• Hi

Errol Flynn was from Tasmania and played Fletcher Christian in a very early Australian version of Mutiny on the Bounty. he did however act in Rep in Northampton.

Another one born in England was Patrick Knowles who played Henry Tunstall in Chisum.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

A slightly risque story and a great link up

In his book 'Them Ornery Mitchum Boys' when making Chisum John Mitchum was talking to Patric Knowles who told the following story about Errol Flynn:-

Errol and I were at a garden party in Beverley Hills. It was a huge estate, complete with every tree and flower...when Flynn was thoroughly surrounded by gasping females, he found himself in desperate need of a pee. No way he could get away and into the house.
    "Suddenly" Patric continud, "He diappeared and only I saw him duck into the folds of the pampas grass at the end of the garden. That is, only I and a large English sheep-dog frolicking around the yard. The dog followed Errol in, then came out from the hidden area shaking his hairy head.
    What a lovely animal! Cried one young starlet. She was stroking its massive head when a glazed look spread over her face. Wordlessly she rose and floundered off towards the house, her hands glistening in the sunlight and held well away from her lovely gown. I looked at Flynn. He looked as though he were about tro wet his pants again, laughing.

But despite it all e made some brilliant films

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Arthur,

I know that we was a great prankster,
    and that one of his more dreadful one's,
    was to steal the body of one of his recently
    departed friends, and sit it in a chair at a party!
    Much to the amazement of his friends, who thought
    he hadn't died at all!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Plus: Was theirs but became ours: Cary Grant, Bob Hope, Errol Flynn, Frank James (Gary) Cooper, Michael J. Fox, William Shatner, Paul Hogan, John Belushi and so many others. Mel Gibson counts as an ours-theirs and back to ours.

Ringo,

Some of these were not from the UK. Gary Cooper was born in Montana, though he did spend 7 years in England as a child. Michael J. Fox and William Shatner are Canadian, and John Belushi is (was) American through and through, as near as I can tell by reading his IMDb bio. Mel Gibson, though born in the US, spent most of his growing-up years in Australia (his mother's homeland). Paul Hogan is another Australian.

Bob Hope is a great example, though, as he was born in the UK, though came to this country when he was 5 years old.

Cary Grant is a definite born there, became ours!

Mrs. C :angel1:

• Hi Mrs C. thanks for any and all corrections. (I need a Rootbeer :beer: ) I had thought the Gary Cooper had been born in England and not just living there a few years. I knew Fox and Shatner were Canadian but had thought Belushi was also. Just added a few new wrinkles to my dusty brain. ;-D I also knew about Mels and Pauls backgrounds. In fact, the first movie I saw with Mel in it was the first Mad Max film. The first one with Paul Hogan in it that I saw was: Anzacs: The War Down Under, which I thought was excellent and NEEEEEEDS to be released on DvD.

One that is embarassing for me to admit my mistaken thinkings on is: Eric Clapman. I was not disappointed but was shocked to learn that he was not an American. All these years until sometime last year, I thought he was one of ours. I guess this one could be as bad as thinking that the Beatles were originally Americans. :D

• Mrs C. if you see this, i have two more for you. How about Dan Ackroyd and John Candy. I know Candy is from Canada but not sure about Ackroyd. Oh and not really important but, just figured that i'd give Howie Mandel an honorable mentioning; as being Canadian. ;)

One question I have to ask anyone from the UK, is this: Do you guys miss Richard Dawson? :D

• Hi Carl,

How are you?
    Can we all fit in your bedsit?
    Anyway we won't discuss that on this thread.
    Right back on topic!

Richard Who??

Never heard of him, but he did
    have an uncredited bit part in
    The Longest Day

Mr. Ackroyd, Yes Canadian.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England