New Star Trek Film for 2008

There are 48 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 11,008 times. The latest Post () was by chester7777.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I heard it's Matt Damon as Kirk and Tom Cruise as spock.

YUK, and I cannot stand either actor-tho I did like Damon in Bourne Identity. Tom Cruise is flat out--a; w~i~e~r~d~o. :stunned: And besides, tom cruise looks nothing like a Vulcan-nor Mr. Spock. I think that Jude Law would make for a better younger Kirk.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• They do tend to go for lesser knowns. Who had heard of Patrick Stewart before he was announced as Picard. Now he seems to have played small roles in loads of films before he became famous.

Mike

• Patrick Stewart was really big into theater and I had seen him before but he really became famous with the TNG era. Everyone that stars in a series or movie of ST gets stuck with the ST label, that's why I don't want to see someone like Cruise into the mix. He doesn't fit the part.

• Here's the story... http://www.startrek.com/startr…w/news/article/48095.html

Doohan Memorial Spaceflight Set for April 27-28
    But it only includes a portion of his ashes, most of them were put in Puget Sound.
    Astronaut Gordon Cooper's ashes will be part of the same flight. For you youngins... Gordon Cooper was one of the original seven with "The Right Stuff" that made up the Mercury space program.
    Gene Roddenberry had his ashes launched into space by the same company in 1997.

Doohan was one of my favorites that I met at a convention many years ago.

• The new Star Trek finally starts filming next month

Comic Pegg set for Star Trek film

Simon Pegg's latest film Run Fat Boy Run topped the UK chart

Hot Fuzz star Simon Pegg is poised to play Scotty in the new Star Trek movie.
    The British comic has been offered the role of the chief engineer, played by James Doohan in the classic TV series, his manager has told BBC News.
    The film, directed by Lost creator JJ Abrams, focuses on the early lives of Captain James T Kirk and Mr Spock.
    Star Trek's 11th big screen outing also stars Eric Bana, Zachary Quinto and Leonard Nimoy, and filming is due to start next month.
    Screen success
    Pegg's manager Dawn Sedgewick said he had been offered the part, which was now subject to "the usual paperwork".
    US actor Chris Pine is in talks to play the young Captain Kirk, trade publication Variety has reported. Bana will play Nero, and original Spock Nimoy has a cameo role.
    The film will show the crew meeting at the Starfleet Academy and embarking on their first mission.
    Pegg, 37, found fame in TV comedy Spaced and went on to find big screen success by writing and starring in Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. His other films include Run Fat Boy Run and the forthcoming How to Lose Friends and Alienate People. Abrams and Pegg previously worked together on Mission: Impossible III, starring Tom Cruise.

• I have to admit being totally out of the loop on this topic, as I am NOT a Star Trek fan, and I have not heard of Simon Pegg.

For those that are fans and have heard of Pegg, does this sound like a good match?

It's interesting to me that a comic would be chosen for the role previously played by Doohan, as he did offer a bit of comic relief (whether that was originally intended or not). Of course, in retrospect, when I have recently watched some of the original ST shows, some of them seem quite funny to me, though I don't believe that WAS the original intent.

Just the ramblings of a non-ST fan . . . :stunned:.

Mrs. C :angel1:

• Hi Chester

I mainly know Simon Pegg from Zombie comedy movie Shaun of The Dead.

Cant really imagine him as Scotty but who knows. I think it is a great idea to base the new movie in the younger days of Kirk & Spock I think other avenues have been played out.

The concept of the original TV series still stand up quite well but the aliens and fight sequences are hilarious. You would NEVER know when the stunt doubles take over
    from Kirk & Spock!!

Mike

• To be honest I do believe they should leave the characters of Kirk and Spock and all the others to the original actors.I am not waiting to see those characters with new actors.I find it a mistake to go back in time as that was also done with Enterprise and that never got a good response.My opinion is they should leave Star Trek for what it is for a while but then who am I ?? I can imagine there are loads of Star Trek fans that want a new film.

• Im a fan of the original ST as well as ST TNG, and I just can't imagine others in the Shatner and Nimoy roles of Capt Kirk and Mr. Spock-respectively. However, I will give this movie a chance and, who knows?????

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Not sure how to take this movie myself, but it seems that movie makers are trying anything to get a crowd out to see movies. It seems that they are trying to resurrect old successful movies like Star Trek and Indian Jones.

And being a fan of both, I'm not sure if they will be any good. How can you replace Shatner, Nimoy, Kelly, etc. And Harrison Ford playing Indian Jones and he's over 65? Are we stretching here?

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote