War Movies

There are 14 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 6,150 times. The latest Post () was by chester7777.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• On the General Discussion board we had a few good discussions on Operation Pacific and In Harms Way, Since discussing the military equipment is more of an Off Topic Discussion I'm posting this here. My main interest is WWII aviation. And out of WWII aircraft is the Republic P-47 Thunderbolt, I have about ninty books on this aircraft. The most interesting picture was taken I beleive in 1943 when John Wayne toured the Pacific. The Duke is sitting in an early model P-47D razorback with Tommy McGuire standing on the wing laughing with the Duke. I have never quite figured that picture out, Because Tommy McGuire was our second highest scoring ace with 38 kills in a P-38 Lightning. McGuire hated the P-47. I always wondered why the Duke wasn't sitting in a P-38 for that picture. But then again we are talking about military PR work. Anyway on with the post." The Flying Tigers" which flew P-40's for the Chinese. Baron you stated earlier of the different P-40's used.... I'll open this up for you and your son to tear it up on the P-40's

Brian
    Tulalip Wa

• Hi ho, pilgram!

The image that I have of John Wayne sitting in a P-47, is around Christmas season in Australia during a USO tour. He is laughing with Lt. Col. Neel Kearby of V Fighter Command of the 5th Air Force. Kearby had 20 some confirmed kills. As soon as I can, I will post the image here for all to see. It would be nice for all the board members to view images of Wayne that are hard to come by. The image is in the book, "Republic's P-47 Thunderbolt", by Warren M. Bodie.

As for " The Flying Tigers", my son and I need to watch the movie again before any comments on it. :rolleyes:

[SIZE=3]"Here's to you Duke, untill we meet again."[/SIZE]

• Baron,
    I also have Mr. Bodie's book with the picture of The Duke and Lt. Col. Neel Kearby. Kearby had 23 victories and His aircraft was named :"Fyrie Ginger" I also have a photo of the Duke with Tommy McGuire and a P-47.
    I agree with you, I'll watch the Flying Tigers this weekend.

Brian
    Tulalip Wa

• I just watched theFlying Tigers. The ground shots are some pretty good wood P-40 mockups. Not bad for the 1940's. The fiberglass mockups in Tora Tora Toraof course were better, but that was not made in the 40's.

Brian
    Tulalip Wa

• Sorry about not commenting on "Flying Tigers". My son was busy for a couple of weeks getting ready for college. He's gone now, living on campus.

We did review "Operation Pacific" and found that in one scene where the Thunderfish was being straiffed was really a picture of a Japanese I Boat. OOPS!

The wood mockups of the P 40s were decent in Flying Tigers. Its not a pad picture though. As for TORA TORA TORA, in one scene where the P 40 is trying to get off the ground and is destroyed, then crashes into the parked aircraft, it is a mockup with a four cylinder car engine. It was made just to have enough power to run it down the airfeild to its doom. The scene was filmed at several different angles and used in the movie. The scene was also used in the VERY BAD MOVIE, Midway (That movie could have been a lot better!).

I had recently watched "They Were Expendable", and would like to comment that the PT Boats were right on. Those were the early versions with sub type torpedos and launchers. Later they used aircraft type torpedos that were just dropped over the side.
    The only thing I can recall wrong is that no MTB ever sank a Mogami type crusier, let alone any type of warship. One Division of PT Boats went against an Imperial Destroyer Division and were wiped out. I knew a guy that served on MTBs and he said they had a bad habit of breaking in half going over heavy waves. He said he served on the plywood made MTB.

Anyway, heres a pic for ya of JW in uniform!

Can you guess what picture its from?? Maybe Robbie knows.

• Hello :rolleyes:

Baron My guess would be "Jet Pilot" :unsure:

Monique ;)

• Baron,
    I agree with you about the moveMidway Charlton Heston flew about seventeen different aircraft on his last flight. And then crashed to his death in a jet no-less. But thats another story.

Brian
    Tulalip Wa

• I think they even used the same combat footage for Chuck Heston's crash scene in "Midway" which was already seen in "Wings of Eagles", when a crippled Wayne watches the planes come in. They were really cheap on "Midway" - for the credits they even used a shot from the 1944 Van Johnson movie "30 Seconds over Tokyo" - and made it look like it was real newsreel material. Well, but then it had a lot of stars in it - so maybe there just wasn't enough dough left for the action scenes.

• The Jet that crashed in the scene was either a Grumman Cougar or Banshee. I believe that difference between the two is one has a swept back jet wing, the other has straight wings. Watch the movie Bridges of Toko-Ri and you'll see one of the aircraft I'm taking about.

The scene with Doolittles Raid, with the B 25 taking off from the carrier are real war footage taken aboard the USS Hornet. They credited the "Thirty Second over Tokyo" because its was used in that movie.

Monique, you get two points for being right. Smart Girl!

My only problem with Midway was too much romance (didn't do much for the movie), not enough about what happened at the Battle of Midway. But that's just me. <_< When My father and I saw the film, he commented that it was rushed together to make the Navy look good after the movie Tora Tora Tora came out.

• My information about 30 seconds Over Tokyo is that when it was made - 1944! - the material was still not greenlighted to be used (remember, the Japanese had taken many of the Raiders prisoners, and the American public was quite upset about executions), and quite cleverly, Mervin LeRoy was going for a "newsreel-look" in these scenes. But that's just what I read somewhere.
    But interesting enough, our old friend John Ford was aboard that ship - for the OSS - and when his Navy friends heard he just won the Oscar for How Green Was My Valley when they were at sea, they had a special flag made for him - with an Oscar on it. The flag was up when Doolittle started that day.

• Hello :rolleyes:
    BrianB that jet crash has been used in two other movies B) In "Men Of the Fighting Lady" Keenan Wynn crashes and dies. And In "The Hunt for Red October" it is suppose to be a F-14 crashing.

Monique ;)

• Monique,
    Again you are right. That jet crash was also used on [/B] The men of the Fight Lady Van Johnson and Keenan Wynn, and Keenan Wynn dies in the crash. You are also correct as it was used on The Hunt for Red October as a F-14. Funny they could spend a million dollars to have a set of a sub that tilted so Sean Connery's tea glass tilled. But used a film clip of a Banshee Korea war erea jet crash as an F-14.

Baron you are correct on the McDonald Banshee. The other straight wing jet was the Grumman Pather as seen on the Men of the Fighting Lady[B] Later made a sweep wing then called a Cougar.

Brian
    Tulalip Wa

• On the Jet crash scene. The US Navy during the Korean conflick had two basic jets.

McDonald Banshee
    Grumman Panther

Both of these jets were straight winged. The grumman panther had a swept wing added later and became the Grumman Couger.

The Crash scene of the jet fighter is of a Banshee, and it has been used in five to six movies. In the real crash the pilot lived. In all the Hollywood versions the Pilots Die.

Brian
    Tulalip Wa

• Thanks for the correction BrianB, my book of fighter jets is missing so I couldn't be sure.

The thing is, there are a lot of films taken aboard US Carriers that show various fighter jets crashing. I've seen Tomcats, Hornets, F 111, Intruders, Crusaders, and even Harriers plowing into the decks. Why couldn't they use one of them for the scene?? There is a lot of footage of Tomcats accidents that Hollywood could use, and the public knows about it. One wonders!

The weirdest that I've seen is when a guy was too close to a Harrier and got sucked up in the intakes. It flamed out the engines, but didn't cause and explosion. Belive it or not, the guy lived through it as he was interviewed about the incident. Talk about luck! :blink:

• Last year, I was with my son's Boy Scout troup and we spent the night on the U.S.S. Hornet. It is now a museum docked in Alameda, California, at the old Naval Air Station. They had many of these different jets on display and we had the opportunity to view them and go all around the ship, looking in all the nooks and crannies. One of the more interesting things was the concurrent videos that they showed on the hangar deck, of different aircraft carrier activities. Probably the most interesting one was of carrier take-offs and landings that resulted in crashes. There must have been 50 or 60 of them, from WWII to the present. If any of you are visiting in the San Francisco Bay area, and have an interest in Naval flight, I would highly recommend visiting the U.S.S. Hornet.

Chester :)