Random Observations

There are 1,240 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 340,410 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Taka - I'm so glad to hear you are OK! I'm sure there are many concerns by the people there until all the threats are resolved. The reports say some of the radioactivity has reached California but is negligible. Experts say Hawaii, Alaska and the West Coast should have no fears about being radiated.

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Taka! I,am also glad to hear that you and yours are safe. At a time like this being a john Wayne fan comes second to being a fan of life. Yesterday being St. Pattys Day may all my Irish blessing be on you and your family.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• I'm glad to hear you and your family is doing ok after such a tragedy, Taka. Thanks for letting us know, as I'm sure you were in our thoughts when we first heard about what happened in Japan. Keep us updated as you can, friend. Be safe.

MArk

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Thanks for getting the message of the encouragement from many JWMB member.
    Two weeks passed from the large earthquake on March 11(311).
    Support is gotten from countries all over the world including the United States
    and the situation heads for the direction of the improvement gradually.

However,as for the restoration of the nuclear power plant, it's seesaw situation.
    It is just prayed that the stop of the nuclear reactor become possible early.

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/
    http://www.c7f.navy.mil/

regards,
    Taka

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

• Hi Taka, sorry I didnt get a message to you but have been thinking about you. I HOPE all is OK for you and your family and friends? Sorry for the huge loss of so many people and am saying prayers nightly.

Take care-sincerely--Carl.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Is anyone else as nauseated by contemporary Hollyweird productions as I am? It seems like everything those people make nowadays is aimed at the teenage crowd.

De gustibus non est disputandum

Is anyone else as nauseated by contemporary Hollyweird productions as I am? It seems like everything those people make nowadays is aimed at the teenage crowd.

Yep!

Last weekend I went to a video store to rent a movie, looked at all of the new releases, and then the semi-new releases, then looked over them again just in case I might have missed one, and then just walked out! There was just not one movie that looked interesting enough to sit through!

Action movies are all comic book or video game related, comedies are not funny, and... well I could go on, but the point is, I agree with you!

• I agree. I canceled Netflix because there were no new titles that even appeared interesting. I've got a collection of "old" movies and vintage TV shows to sustain me at quiet moments and I'm spending more time with my family and reading more so I can't really complain.

We deal in lead, friend.

• I'm reading more so I can't really complain.

I'm a long-time reader too and have a fairly extensive personal library. Just wondering, Gorch, what kind of books you like? I like history (especially military and Western history), biographies and action stories told by the likes of Tom Clancy, Frederick Forsyth, Vince Flynn and a guy my son suggested not long ago. His name is Stephen Hunter and his books about the Swagger father and son (both Marine snipers but in different wars) and their adventures in civilian life after the wars are page-turning books. If you like action, those stories are hard to beat.

I also like the John Kellerman stories about the L.A. psychologist and his gay detective friend. (The psychologist is NOT gay).

• Stephen Hunter's novels are great reads. Their only problem is that I can't put them down once I start. I read lots of historical non fiction, especially Civil War, WW II, and Revolutionary War. Also have several books about Rorke's Drift, Little Big Horn and the Alamo.
    I have bios on Poncho Villa, Teddy Roosevelt, John Wayne and John Ford.
    Have full shelves about films and film makers, and anything by Louis Lamour, Robert Parker, Will Henry, John D. McDonald, James Ellroy, and Donald E. Westlake. I like the Kellerman novels as well.
    If you haven't run across John Sandford and his "prey" series I think you'd like them.

We deal in lead, friend.

• thanks stumpy needed a good laugh

You may or may not know this, smokey, but in the states the phrase "March Madness" is used to describe the clamor and excitement over the college basketball playoffs, whereas in this cartoon it's characterizing the month's news coverage by worldwide media.

• I'm a long-time reader too and have a fairly extensive personal library. Just wondering, Gorch, what kind of books you like? I like history (especially military and Western history), biographies and action stories told by the likes of Tom Clancy, Frederick Forsyth, Vince Flynn and a guy my son suggested not long ago. His name is Stephen Hunter and his books about the Swagger father and son (both Marine snipers but in different wars) and their adventures in civilian life after the wars are page-turning books. If you like action, those stories are hard to beat.
    I also like the John Kellerman stories about the L.A. psychologist and his gay detective friend. (The psychologist is NOT gay).

I have two additional authors to suggest: Michael Connelly and his character Harry Bosch, a LAPD police detective who has to track down crimes and deal with administrative politics at the same time; and Lee Child with his invention Jack Reacher, a man who lives on the street and by his wits, a former Army MP who manages to get imbroiled in various escapades and uses his unconformed approach and manner to solve those problems.

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"