Random Observations

There are 1,240 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 340,151 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I really like this particular picture too. All it needed to make it complete was Prince Bill's Grandma standing behind all the young'uns. :wink_smile:

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Shake that man's hand!!

For those that don't know him, Major General Peter Cosgrove is an 'Australian treasure!'

General Cosgrove was interviewed on the radio recently.

Read his reply to the lady who interviewed him concerning guns and children Regardless of how you feel about gun laws you gotta love this!

This is one of the best comeback lines of all time.

It is a portion of an ABC radio interview between a female broadcaster and General Cosgrove who was about to sponsor a Boy Scout Troop visiting his military Headquarters.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:
    So, General Cosgrove, what things are you going to teach these young boys when they visit your base?

GENERAL COSGROVE:
    We're going to teach them climbing, canoeing, archery and shooting.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:
    Shooting! That's a bit irresponsible, isn't it?

GENERAL COSGROVE:
    I don't see why, they'll be properly supervised on the rifle range.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:
    Don't you admit that this is a terribly dangerous activity to be teaching children?

GENERAL COSGROVE:
    I don't see how. We will be teaching them proper rifle discipline before they even touch a firearm.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:
    But you're equipping them to become violent killers.

GENERAL COSGROVE:
    Well, Ma'am, you're equipped to be a prostitute, but you're not one, are you?

The radiocast went silent for 46 seconds and when it returned, the interview was over.

• good on cosgrove its about time some of the reporters were put into their place besides when children go into the army/airforce/navy cadets they teach them all about guns and the handling of them and we dont see those children becoming killers now do we. how do we know that some of those boys and girls wont go on to join the armed forces.

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Gotta love that Aussie humor, God bless him ;-))

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hi Jim. Glad to hear you're enjoying Connelly. Another author I might recommend is Nelson DeMille, admittedly an author I've just encountered and just now am reading the first book of his I am currently reading. But his story has grabbed my interest so far. BTW - I notice Lee Child's bio says he is a Brit transplanted to N.Y.C..

Jay,
    Have you by any chance read any of Jonathan Kellerman's mysteries? His main characters are a psychologist named Alex Delaware and his homicide detective friend Milo Sturgis. Stugis is gay (Delaware is not) but has one of the best clearance records in the LAPD, which means his supervisors cut him a lot of slack with his sexual preferences. Delaware is a consultant to the LAPD and he and Sturgis collaborate on most homicide cases. Good reading which I'm sure you would enjoy if you like mysteries.
    Jim

• It would have been one thing to have dominated Europe, quite another to come across the Atlantic, unless they had come up with the bomb before us.

Chester :newyear:

Personally, if they had won? I think Reinhard Heydrich would have been the new Leaderr-that is-till the Generals had him bumped off. If Grossadmiral Karl Donitz been in charge? things would be different as he was NOT, a subscriber to the nazi poliocies and would have ultimately doneaway with those concentration camps. Also, as per reading from many a Colonel David Glantz book, the Germans would have had more living space and would have stopped at a certain line-somewhere in Southern Russia-had things gone their way?) and created a demarcation zone, built an Ost Wall, and pretty much have stopped their world-bound conquest.

Doenitz was a much different mold than trash like Heydrich who thankfully was a target of Czech Commandoes who ultimately lead to its death. Its also known that Heydrich was the worst one of the bunch.

This is just my opinion based on the many readings I have done-mostly with Authors like David Glantz-who is a major authority on the war on the Eastern Front. Glantz also has a great series of self-published books that are about What If? possibilities.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• It would have been one thing to have dominated Europe, quite another to come across the Atlantic, unless they had come up with the bomb before us.

Chester :newyear:

According to what I've read, they were working on the big one. That would probably have been disastrous for Great Britain.

• No surprise here.

Though both of 'em have ostensibly introduced a bit of economic free enterprise during the past few years, they're both still communist nations at heart.