Random Observations

There are 1,240 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 340,235 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• He sure as hell ain't one of the top Marine NCOs I remember. 30 years ago, there would have been a mass exodus from the Corps before they would have accepted this.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Interesting article. But there's no mention of the genocide practiced by Stalin in the 1930s, when literally millions of Russians were slaughtered by the ruling communist regime.

Also, I personally regard Putin as more or less a throwback to some of the Soviet Union's more dictatorial leaders.

• A probably-stupid question recently arose in my feeble little mind that I'm sure my cousins in the UK can answer. Is any of the dialogue in American-made films shown in the UK ever dubbed so our English, Scot and Irish cousins can more easily understand it? I know that certain American dialects are pretty hard to understand, even for some Americans.

As a native-born Southerner, I don't have problems understanding other Southerners (except for some folks from Louisiana) but I sometimes have problems understanding certain dialects from the Northeast. And I often have a really hard time understanding some Britishers in films, even though English is (more or less) my native language. :wink_smile:

Personally, I think Americans from the upper Midwest and the West itself speak the most easily-understood English in the U.S.

• I don't think US movies are dubbed for UK market mind you it would help sometimes with the likes of Nicholas Cage, Sylvester Stallone, Brad Pitt, Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, Marlon Brando & Jeff Bridges (why does that man roll his tongue round his mouth when speaking dialogue) come to mind.

Never had any communicating problems in US although I would prefer the softer dialogue in the South as opposed to the machine gun delivery from say North East.

• Jim,
    As Mike says, I am unaware of any dubbing of American films.
    We do sometimes have a problem say with a Brooklyn accent
    as in DeNiro. 'Ny Jisey' (New Jersey) for example!!
    People who are not from the areas,
    have problems here as well,
    for example non Scots, understanding Scottish,
    and people from the south understanding 'Geordie'
    from the North East, Newcastle etc.
    So I guess we all have our own quirks when It comes to dialects!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Thanks, guys, for answering my question. I was just curious if you folks have the same problems understanding English spoken by Americans as I sometimes have understanding the language as spoken by some British actors. I really have problems with some London dialects.

• I hope you're right, but I prefer justice or retribution a little more temporal. I take solace that O.J. Simpson is locked up but am displeased that the jury in the original murder case let him slide. I think the jury in the Anthony case is too stupid to grasp the concept of circumstantial evidence. Here's hoping that she gets her comeuppance sooner than later.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Here's hoping that she gets her comeuppance sooner than later.

Preferably much, much sooner.

What's REALLY going to upset me is if the news stories that she'll make big bucks telling her story comes true.

Caylee was the most adorable-looking little princess I ever saw and it just makes me sick to my stomach to think her killer will go free.

• Preferably much, much sooner.

What's REALLY going to upset me is if the news stories that she'll make big bucks telling her story comes true.

Caylee was the most adorable-looking little princess I ever saw and it just makes me sick to my stomach to think her killer will go free.

From what I have seen in the way people have reacted, I don't think she will get much.

• It's just inconceivable to me that anyone, much less her mother, could harm such an adorable, sweet little girl as

Caylee. And in reading the 'net news, it appears millions of other people agree with those of us on here who have condemned not only her mother but the jurors who acquited her.

Something I don't understand though is a story I read that claimed the grandparents have received death threats. Hell, they're the ones who got the initial investigation started.

• I'm in total agreement also. I was flabergasted when I heard the verdict read. WHAT? And to hear that the jury didn't want to be interviewed after the verdict tells me a lot. They knew people would be up in arms thinking (knowing) they got it wrong.

Casey won't have peace. She can't go anywhere she isn't known and the frost and hatred she will feel from others won't be justice enough, but hell will be waiting.

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "