Random Observations

There are 1,240 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 340,191 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• If you think this article sounds rather pessimistic about the state of California, you should obtain a copy of Mark Steyn's newest book "After America". It's guaranteed to depress the hell out of any true American. And I haven't read much in the book with which I can disagree.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Stumpy,
    After reading that article, and living in California, all I can say is,

Ain't that the truth!

Chester :newyear:

Steyn's book contends that the whole country and culture are headed California's way. As I said, it's pretty depressing.

• chester when are you thinking of going that way when you retire?

Smokey, Yes, though, like I mentioned in the Happy Birthday thread, with the way our economy seems to be heading, we all might all be working until our dying day. Don't think there were many folks "retired" during the period between 1929 and 1939.

Now, don't everyone start calling me an optimist. . . . . :wink_smile:

• Smokey, Yes, though, like I mentioned in the Happy Birthday thread, with the way our economy seems to be heading, we all might all be working until our dying day. Don't think there were many folks "retired" during the period between 1929 and 1939.

Now, don't everyone start calling me an optimist. . . . . :wink_smile:

I don't think ANY conservatives feel very optimistic since Obama came to power.

• I don't think ANY conservatives feel very optimistic since Obama came to power.

This problem has been going on for the last 10 or more Presidents. Like they have been passing a bag of wet garbage from one guy to the next. Obama just turned that wet bag into the whole garbage truck!

• you need to think it can only go up from here because it surely cant get any lower, it happened once it will happen again:wink_smile:

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Recently, an acquaintance introduced me to the writings of a British author named (probably a nom-de-plume) Stephen Leather. So far, I've bought about 15 of his books from AbeBooks and have been fairly well satisfied with his plotting.

My favorite Leather character is an undercover policeman named Dan "Spider" Shepherd; however, I must admit that I've come to believe that Leather is a PC-inspired liberal as he's constantly harping on race and other favorite PC subjects in his stories. For instance, although the undercover cop Shepherd is ex-SAS (an individual who should have few doubts about the righteousness of his actions, Leather has him constantly questioning the political correctness of those actions.

Any of our British cousins who've read Leather agree with me?

• Each week I receive an emailed newsletter from a man in Ardmore, OK who maintains a website called Oklahoma History. The newsletter is nearly always interesting. This week's edition contained a link to another website that had some photos taken around 1900. The clarity of these pictures is absolutely amazing, considering that they're more than a hundred years old.

I've always been an avid student of American history so I enjoyed looking at these pictures very much. I imagine there are others here who also enjoy American history and old pictures.