Random Observations

There are 1,240 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 340,420 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Stumpy and Dukefan1,

It has to do with the medium that is contained inside the CD. Over time it will deteriorate.

This only applies to CD that are burnable, either CD-R or RW. Commercial CD's that you buy with a movie already burned onto them should be okay.

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

Edited once, last by Tbone ().

• Well, I guess I'm still better off now. My older tapes were really starting to degrade. By putting them on a DVD, I bought some time. I guess every 5 or 6 years, I'll have to transfer them from old DVD to new DVD. Kinda like cloning.:wink_smile:

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Life Is Not Holding A Good Hand.....
    Life Is Playing A Poor Hand Well.

Shooting in Butte , Montana, Nov 5, 2007

Shotgun: - - - preteen vs. illegal alien Home Invaders :

Two illegal aliens, Raphael Resindez, 23, and Enrico Garza, 26, probably believed they would easily overpower home-alone 11 year old Patricia Harrington after her father had left their two-story home.

It seems the two crooks never learned two things: they were in Montana and Patricia had been a local clay shooting champion and hunter since she was nine. Patricia was in her upstairs room when the two men broke through the front door of the house using a sledge hammer. She quickly ran to her father's room and grabbed his 12 gauge Mossberg 500 shotgun.

Resindez was the first to get up to the second floor only to be the first to catch a near point blank blast of 00 buckshot from the 11-year-old's knee crouch aim. He suffered fatal wounds to his abdomen and genitals.

When Garza ran to the foot of the stairs, he took a blast which shredded his left shoulder and staggered out into the street and bled to death before medical help could arrive.

It was found out later that Resindez was armed with a stolen 45 caliber handgun he had stolen earlier from another home invasion robbery. That victim, 50-year-old David Burien, was not so lucky. He died from multiple stab wounds to the chest.

Ever wonder why stories like this never makes NBC, CBS, PBS, & MSNBC, CNN, or ABC news........an 11 year old girl, properly trained, defended her home and herself......against two murderous, illegal aliens .........and she wins, she is still alive.

Now that is Gun Control! ........
    [INDENT]Thought for the day: Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'
    [/INDENT]

[INDENT]-Amen

[/INDENT]

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Shooting in Butte , Montana, Nov 5, 2007

In response to Stumpys post
    This is the 2nd Ammendment to its fullest to me. It isnt about hunting and pleasure so much as the right and ability to protect yourself, your country and your family against all enemies domestic and foreign. I am glad that Montana still sees it this way generally overall.

• It isnt about hunting and pleasure so much as the right and ability to protect yourself, your country and your family against all enemies domestic and foreign.

Amen, Steve. Just a couple of years ago our state legislature passed a law giving people the right to shoot (and kill, if necessary) intruders breaking into one's house.

A few years ago the Brits prosecuted and imprisoned a poor farmer for shooting criminals breaking into his home, which I thought was a gross miscarriage of justice. Hell, they should have given the man a medal.

• I received the following in an email this morning and it's a subject I feel very passionate about so I'm posting it here. I've always been opposed to the so-called globalization of our economy because I think it loses American jobs. And as a strong nationalist, who's for the USA first, last and always, I'm opposed to anything that hurts my homegrown countrymen.

"THIS IS A GOOD DECENT MAN WHO TOOK THE TIME TO WRITE THIS AND: HE SIGNED THE STATEMENT AND: INCLUDED HIS CONTACT INFO:
    I'm sure those of you who aren't in the cattle business don't understand the issues here. But to those of us whose living depends on the cattle market, selling cattle, raising the best beef possible... This is frustrating.

This will keep us from ever stopping there again, even for a drink.

The original message is from the Texas Cattle Feeders Association. American cattle producers are very passionate about this.

McDonald's claims that there is not enough beef in the USA to support their restaurants. Well, we know that is not so. Our opinion is they are looking to save money at our expense. The sad thing of it is that the people of the USA are the ones who made McDonald's successful in the first place, but we are not good enough to provide beef.

We personally are no longer eating at McDonald's, which I am sure does not make an impact, but if we pass this around maybe there will be an impact felt.

Please pass it on. Just to add a note:

All Americans that sell cows at a livestock auction barn had to sign a paper stating that we do NOT EVER feed our cows any part of another cow. South Americans are not required to do this as of yet.

McDonald's has announced that they are going to start importing much of their beef from South America . The problem is that South Americans aren't under the same regulations as American beef producers, and the regulations they have are loosely controlled.

They can spray numerous pesticides on their pastures that have been banned here at home because of residues found in the beef. They can also use various hormones and growth regulators that we can't. The American public needs to be aware of this problem and that they may be putting themselves at risk from now on by eating at good old McDonald's.

American ranchers raise the highest quality beef in the world and this is what Americans deserve to eat. Not beef from countries where quality is loosely controlled. Therefore, I am proposing a boycott of McDonald's until they see the light.

I'm sorry but everything is not always about the bottom line, and when it comes to jeopardizing my family's health, that is where I draw the line.
    I am sending this note to about thirty people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) ... and those 300 send it to at l east ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers!

I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you? Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.

David W. Forrest, Ph.D ., PAS, Dipl.
    ACAP Department of Animal Science
    Texas A&M University
    Phone (979) 845-3560 Fax (979) 862-3399
    2471 TAMU College Station, TX 77843-2471"

• I get lots of those kinds of emails and before I send them on I check them against Snopes and Truth or Fiction and here's links for their articles on this topic -

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/f/foreignbeef.htm

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/mcdbeef.asp

Just thought you'd like to know. Because I don't want to do anything that would hurt my fellow Americans, but I try hard to be rightly infomred.

clancy

• Food for thought.....

I find it hard to believe that Swirsky would write these allegations unless she was reasonably certain they were true. Otherwise, she could be sued for libel and/or slander.

• Thanks for the tip, Clancy, but I'm less interested in the unquestioned accuracy of such reports than the idea underlying them. We all know that huge chunks of the American economy have been farmed out to foreign countries, thus depriving America of millions of jobs. Since you claim to live on Long Island, you probably don't shop at Walmart but millions of us out here in flyover country do and I can truthfully attest that most of what they sell no longer has the logo "Made in the USA" on the side. And Walmart, unfortunately, is not alone.

• Thanks for the tip, Clancy, but I'm less interested in the unquestioned accuracy of such reports than the idea underlying them.

Here's another claim that supposedly was proven false by Snopes but whose basic premise I enthusiastically endorse. And that's the ruthless and emotionless killing, if necessary, of America's terrorist enemies by GI snipers. My personal feeling is that you kill them before they kill you.

• Generations of American schoolchildren have been indoctrinated with the belief that this man was the greatest individual ever to appear on this country's horizon, an idea I totally reject.

My biggest beef with him is that he solidified the idea of federal supremacy in the country's affairs.

• Well, we knew it wouldn't take the Dems long to start this kind of crap once they gained full control of the government. Seems they didn't learn the electoral lesson that was provided the last time they tried it.

• I think we know which firearms are the "certain" ones on that bill Stumpy.

Edited 2 times, last by FarmerSteve ().

• IMO, there's a considerable amount of truth in this column.

I've been saying for a long time, to anybody who would listen, that one of the biggest problems afflicting our society and country (even the world) is a lack of accountability among those who cause the many problems that beset us. It sometimes seems like the more screwed up a person is, the more he or she is rewarded.

And now our Dummicrat president is proposing more of the same in his so-called stimulus and mortgage rescue proposals. Those of us who take responsibility for ourselves and our families are now going to be asked to assume responsibility for people who have cast aside all sense of responsibility for themselves and their families.

• Here's an article by one of my favorite columnists.

As a Libertarian-leaning conservative, I unequivocally agree with what he says. This is a war we ain't ever gonna win and as he says, it's gone on far too long, at far too great a cost. If the idiots want to fry their brains, I won't stand in their way.

• A month or so ago I got the first of a Series of E-Mails with "DEATH THREATS" so I got ahold of the Local Sheriff and then the F.B.I. in Flagstaff, Arizona, Because they had My Address And Phone Number, and wanted the M-O-N-E-Y Sent Out Of State and That Made It Federal !
    :agent:
    Two Young F.B.I. Agents from Flagstaff came to my house and spent all afternoon on my Computer finding out where the E-Mails came From ?
    :omg:
    The reason I put this Up Was I Did Not Want You To Get Your Bowels In A Up-Roar if You Get One Of These E-Mails !!
    :wink_smile:
    It looks like The F.B.I. Thinks it is a SCAM By The RUSSIAN MAFIA !!!
    :dead:
    Below are some of The E-Mails from The So-Called HIT-MAN !!!!
    :shades_smile:
    Bill
    :cowboy:
    http://www.ranch26bar.com/THREAT.html

• These "death threats" are undoubtedly a scheme to extort some money from you, Bill. Probably something similar to those offers from Nigerian "widows" to send you thirty mil if you'll just send them a hundred thou to spring the money loose from their government. Keep your powder dry and if some stranger shows up on your doorstep threatening you, blow his/her butt away. You can always claim self defense.

• Stumpy, You Got That Right, But I Did Put Brand - New "Hollow Point Ammo" in the S & W 357 Pistol that I always Carry !
    :wink_smile:
    They Told Me To Go For It, But Make Sure I Get The Right Man !!
    :omg:
    Hell I Have Not Blown Away Anyone Lately !!!
    :dead:
    Bill
    :cowboy:

• Any of y'all ever play the lottery?

I figure that anything under 50 mil is not worth risking my money but this week the MegaMillions jackpot is up to 212 million so I've bought a few quick picks. Man, I sure could take care of my kids and grandkids with that kind of cash.