Random Observations

There are 1,240 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 342,205 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• [FONT=Times, Times New Roman] Wal-Mart

7. Wal-Mart now sells more food than Kroger & Safeway combined, and keep in mind they did
    this in only 15 years.

[/FONT]

I am not sure where this came from. I met Sam Walton in 1985 at PTL Ministries. He drove a old pickup truck and wore jeans. He knew his employees by name in many of his stores. He was known to walk into a store and start bagging groceries. I shopped at the Wal-Mart in Rockhill,SC IN 84-85, and the base is located in Arkansas.
    The 15 years is more like 25-30 range of operation for Wal-Mart.

• Funny you should mention meeting Sam Walton. I met him too back when he opened his store in my hometown of Kingsville, Texas. I think thuis was about 1980??? Anyway, I remember he was a very nice person but, all his children are scum of the Earth and greedy.

Anyway, I was at another Wm-this time some years later and in Corpus CHristi, when I overheard some customer who was getting slightly angry that they would not sell him a particular Lawnmower because it was already built and on display. The clerk kept telling that customer a load of bull, and all of a sudden, I heard an elderly mans voice that said he should take the lawnmower off the shelf and sell it to the customer. And before the clerk could reply, the man continued by saying; If you value your job? you will sell that very lawnmower. It was then that I recognized the man and again it was Sam Walton. Needless to say, when that clerk found out who the elderly guy was, he turned white as a sheet and quickly removed the lawnmower offering to push it to a checkout counter for the customer. I thought that was great.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Heh heh, Iheard he really liked visiting his stores unannounced and incognito-I guess that CC meeting w/ him was one of those occasions. Darn shame his children are nothing like he was.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• While this board was down this afternoon, I brought up the "official" site just to see what it looked like (and out of frustration at not being able to log on here).

I didn't sign in or anything; just wanted to see what the thing looked like since several folks have posted negative remarks on this board about that board. I loved the scene of Duke on that horse with that expanse of wide-open space behind him. Wonder where they got that scene, as I don't recall ever seeing it before. I'd like to have that as my desktop background.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I loved the scene of Duke on that horse with that expanse of wide-open space behind him. Wonder where they got that scene, as I don't recall ever seeing it before. I'd like to have that as my desktop background.

Jim, is this something like you're looking for

I have four different ones and I use them as my Desktops

• Jim, is this something like you're looking for

I have four different ones and I use them as my Desktops

That's close, Keith, but the one to which I referred shows the Duke facing the camera. It's at this link. And of course, I wouldn't want the other stuff in the picture that's shown at that link.

• Here's another two similar ones

Thanks, Keith. I like those two better than the first one you displayed as they show more of our man's face (though at too great a distance for much detail). I saved them to my computer and will from time to time use them for my desktop background.
    Jim

• I recall they were readily available to any who registered . . .

Sorry for the way it sounded when I posted that. I only meant, where did they come from. It doesn't matter to me where they come from.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Keith the scene with A M following Duke is a nice one. Try not to drown in your monsoon fall. take care

Greetings from North of the 49th

• Political correctness strikes again.

IMO, the lady should not even have been permitted to join this elite group, which has been all male since its' inception in 1485. Once again, an honored tradition becomes the victim of PC.

• Sounds like our older cousins across the pond ain't too happy either. Though I missed being a member of the Greatest Generation by a few years, I think exactly as they do.

Here is the original article.

Edited once, last by Stumpy ().