HOLLYWOOD BEAT: Celebrating John Wayne's 100th Birthday

There are 6 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,277 times. The latest Post () was by DakotaSurfer.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• HOLLYWOOD BEAT: Celebrating John Wayne's 100th Birthday

Source: Marci Weiner

Sporting a shocking pink wig, Jamie Lee Curtis was guest host for a Vegas style black tie event,"The Cure is in the Cards", which benefited the John Wayne Cancer Institute. The wig was bequeathed to Curtis by a young friend who died from cancer, and she wore it in her honor. Jamie is involved in many causes including Children's Aids Foundation and helps raise much needed funds for breast cancer research.

Jamie Lee (with her own natural hair) and honoree, Joyce Green

The "True Grit" Award was presented to Larry King, who like John Wayne is an American hero. He followed last year's recipient Former First Lady Nancy Reagan, for his uncompromising integrity and commitment to the values of our great country

Larry King & Patrick Wayne

But the most rewarding moment of the evening was when Joyce Green, who has been associated with the JWCC for many years, received the special Duke Award. Green, who has had breast cancer herself, personifies the spirit and compassion needed to fight this dread disease. She was lauded by the Wayne family, who were celebrating the 100th year of the Duke's birth. They donated $1 million dollars to the clinic in his name. Certainly a win-win situation for all concerned.

Jamie Lee Curtis sporting a pink wig at Odyssey Ball

Will Ferrell's Swedish wife, Vivica Paulin, helped raise over $1.5 million for the Independent School Alliance for Minority Affairs. The attractive auctioneer got practice for her current position by portraying an auctioneer in several TV films (Bad Seed, Martial Law & Money Talks). Seems her reel talents paid off in real life!

Will Ferrell's wife, Vivica Paulin, auctioneer at School Alliance

The event, hosted by TV journalist Giselle Fernandez</B>, honored philanthropists Beth and Joshua Friedman, Headmaster, Tom Dye, and Raymond Michaud Jr. for their community involvement, and aiding unrepresented Black, Latino and Native American students.

The LA social world combined with the art world when Producer Chuck and Ava Fries opened their lavish Beverly Hills manse to honor major patrons of the Center Theatre Group. Martin Massman, new President elect, was joined by outgoing President Richard Kagan, and a host of other execs who mingled with artist like Jim Morphesis, DeWain Valentine and William Tunberg. The work of 125 local artists will be displayed in the courtyard for auction bidding at the May 9th Angels Night gala at the Century Plaza Hotel, chaired by Barbara Fodor. Proceeds from this event will benefit P.L.A.Y., CTG's Educational outreach program for youth.

Producer Chuck & Ava Fries with Martin Massman and Richard Kagan at Center Theatre Group Reception

• Hell, they should make the Duke's birthday a national holiday. If they can set aside a national holiday for that rabble-rousin' communist Martin Luther King, I don't know why they can't do the same for a real American, John Wayne.

De gustibus non est disputandum

But the most rewarding moment of the evening was when Joyce Green, who has been associated with the JWCC for many years, received the special Duke Award. Green, who has had breast cancer herself, personifies the spirit and compassion needed to fight this dread disease. She was lauded by the Wayne family, who were celebrating the 100th year of the Duke's birth. They donated $1 million dollars to the clinic in his name. Certainly a win-win situation for all concerned.

Looks like the Wayne family may have taken some of the DVD profit's and naming rights money and given it to the cancer research clinic. Good for them, I am glad they did that. Start's putting alitle more faith in the family.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Can anyone tell me what the True Grit award is? And who are the people who received it in the past? This is the first time I've heard about this.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I believe it's an award given out by the John Wayne Cancer Institute... it's fairly new.

For 2006, the John Wayne Cancer Institute Auxiliary created the “True Grit” Award to recognize individuals “who embody the American values that were characteristic of John Wayne.” Writer-producer Norman Lear presented the new award to former First Lady Nancy Reagan. “The ‘True Grit’ Award means a lot to me and brings back a lot of memories about John Wayne,” Mrs. Reagan told the crowd. “He was one of the kindest and gentlest people I have ever met. I am thrilled to receive this award named after my dear friend Duke Wayne.”

There is also another award know as "The Duke" also given out by the JWCI Auxiliary. Check out the JWCI website and check out some of their old newsletters.

• Hey Stumpy, I like your idea of a national holiday for the Duke. Great idea!

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• Great thing about South Dakota, we don't celebrate MLK day in January. The state refused and wouldn't ratify the holiday and changed it to Native American Day instead. We need a holiday between mid January and Memorial day... perfect time for a John Wayne Day. Stagecoach came out March 2nd... I say lets make that John Wayne Day.

:hyper::hyper::hyper: