Tom Cruise as Colonel Claus Stauffenberg

There are 42 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 10,638 times. The latest Post () was by SXViper.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• For Todd's benefit :teeth_smile:

This is Mr C******'s forthcoming attractions

KevinC****** is planning animated series

Oscar-winning KevinC****** is to produce an internet-based animated series about a band of 19th Century explorers, it has been reported.
    The 52-year-old director of Dances with Wolves will also lend his voice to the series, The Explorers Club, trade newspaper Variety said.
    The series will be made available online in 12 four-minute segments.
    KevinC****** hopes to build a following before beginning work on a live-action film version, the report added.
    Each episode will see a group of Victorian-era explorers travelling to a different corner of the world.
    The Chiodo Brothers, known for their work on Killer Klowns from Outer Space, will do the animation. KevinC******said: "Each episode is clever and visual, it works as a series, and it has massive potential for the big screen... as a film-maker, I was excited by the opportunities to draw an audience into a story in a new way." KevinC****** is currently starring in the serial-killer thriller Mr Brooks, and will appear next year in Swing Vote, about a man whose vote decides a US presidential election.

• Don't worry, Ringo, unlike Crap-ner, Rich Basehart actually had some acting talent!!!!!:wink_smile: :stunned: :hyper:

Heh heh. Basehart is the best at his craft ;-)) Of all the actors I really like, there are few who come close to being really great actors in the truest sense of the word. Movies like: Hitler, Decision Before Dawn, Fixed Bayonets and Time Limit; are what did it for me to make Basehart my equal with John Wayne--equal in different ways of course.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Heh heh. Basehart is the best at his craft ;-)) Of all the actors I really like, there are few who come close to being really great actors in the truest sense of the word. Movies like: Hitler, Decision Before Dawn, Fixed Bayonets and Time Limit; are what did it for me to make Basehart my equal with John Wayne--equal in different ways of course.

Ringo, one Basehart movie I saw recently was The Black Book (1949) (a.k.a. Reign of Terror). This movie was set during the French Revolution and featured Basehart as Robespierre. It was an interesting performance by Basehart as the villain. It was made right after Basehart had finished making He Walked by Night, and was directed by the great Anthony Mann. I watched it online from Google Video (you can see my other topic about Google Video for more). A very interesting little movie, a real gem of a find!

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

• Hi EJ, thanks for letting me know about this one. ANd it seems if I recently heard on some program that had mentioned something about Basehart in that role. Ill be looking forward to seeing this one since I have not seen it before.

Also, thanks for mentioning He Walked By Night, that was another excellent film with Basehart at his best-or near best.

• Tom Cruise makes me want to hurl!:angry_smile: Could be an interesting film but I won't be seeing it. For me he's just one of those people you want to punch in the face for no apparent reason.

DITTO! I think he is nuts!

• Words fail me :stunned: . but my most strong feeling is he is secretly making 'Allo 'Allo!" :teeth_smile:

For our friends in USA this was a comedy series set in France during World War II similar to Are you being Served / Carry On Benny Hill style comedy

Spoof of World War II. René Artois runs a café in France during World War II. He is also an unwilling agent of the Germans, mostly under the command of Col. Kurt von Strohm, and of the French Resistance, under the command of Michelle Dubois ("Listen very carefully; I shall say this only once"). René is married to aged Edith, who is the worst singer in the world, but he finds that young women find him sexy. Most of the plots include planning the murder of the commanding German officer, General Erich von Klinkerhoffen, as well as the ownership of a painting called The Fallen Madonna with the Big Boobies--a painting that everybody would love to get their hands on. He has also two downed idiot British airman who, as time goes by, are impossible to get rid of. The main opposition is the insane SS officer, Otto Flick. René tries to complete the German and the FR's plans, even though he's a coward and wonders if he's going to get out of the war alive.

Between his weird views and this movie his career could be in toilet!!

Mike

• I admit, he does not look too bad (as a typical German Officer with an eyepatch) but, I don't think he's capable of playing the Count.

The uniform looks OK (details) except that his tunic is not the proper Grey-Green color (too light on the color and does not look natural) Where are his decorations? no EK1st, no Wound Badge in Gold etc-no ribbonbar-no eastern front and EK2 ribbons in the 2nd buttonhole of his tunic.

The scalloped pockets are OK--but not great. Its also hard to tell that his tunic had French Cuffs. At least they got the Carmine Red striping (for General Staff Officers) correct on his breeches. I can't see the detail enough on the Collartabs and Shoulderboards--to see how accurately those look. The breast eagle looks decent, belt, buckle etc.

I can't tell if his peaked visored cap has the correct carmine piping or not and it does not look like his collartabs have carmine-0-they look to be white-for Infantry--which is WRONG. As a collector, that is unexcusable. However, I still might give the movie a watching--just for laughs.

PS, where is his Walther P38 holster? where is his mapcase?

• Ringo you should be their technical expert !! A quick email to them and you could be on location in Germany and getting paid for it.

Mike

• Ringo you should be their technical expert !! A quick email to them and you could be on location in Germany and getting paid for it.

Mike

Heh heh, thanks for the compliment ;-)) It would be nice to be paid for a change, doing something I really like. :wink_smile:

Maybe someday, i'll get someone to post a picture or two, of my German Artillery Majors tunic and visor? Just for reference purposes.

I will add (for Stumpy's sake) that the visored cap looks good as well as its insignia--which is stamped aluminum. Also, the bottleneck green collar on the tunic is spot-on. :thumbs_up:

• I think Tom Cruise is out on a limb in many areas of his private life, but as far as his acting abilities go? I think he is a good actor. I have enjoyed many of his films. Like The Last Samurai, Far and Away, A Few Good Men, Interview With The Vampire, Jerry Maguire, Minority Report and War of the Worlds. I loved his early roll in the movies Taps and The Outsiders. I even liked All The Right Moves.

There are a few that I didn't like, such as Days Of Thunder, Cocktail, and Eyes Wide Shut. But I would still go see him in a movie if the subject interested me. I like WWII era movies and if this one gets made, I would probably watch it. I think he looks the part in that uniform.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• I think Tom Cruise is out on a limb in many areas of his private life, but as far as his acting abilities go? I think he is a good actor. I have enjoyed many of his films. Like The Last Samurai, Far and Away, A Few Good Men, Interview With The Vampire, Jerry Maguire, Minority Report and War of the Worlds. I loved his early roll in the movies Taps and The Outsiders. I even liked All The Right Moves.

There are a few that I didn't like, such as Days Of Thunder, Cocktail, and Eyes Wide Shut. But I would still go see him in a movie if the subject interested me. I like WWII era movies and if this one gets made, I would probably watch it. I think he looks the part in that uniform.

Mark

I wholeheartedly agree, Mark. Outside of Jane Fonda and Barbara Streisand, there are no players in Hollywood I detest so much that I'd never watch their movies. I think "Taps" was probably my favorite Cruise role.

As for the nitpickin' some people do, there probably isn't one person in a million who will know whether or not the details in a movie are totally correct (which they hardly ever are).
    After all, we're talking about Hollyweird, which is known for its' "artistic license".

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Apparently the scene depicted is from his last day so I guess that explains why his decorations have been stripped from him.

Of Tom Cruise films I have seen to date I liked Interview with A Vampire, Mission Impossible, Rain Man The Firm and Far and Away.

Hated Cocktail, War of the Worlds Top Gun Days of Thunder and Born on 4th July

Eyes Wide Shut was just weird!!

Mike

1. Hardy Men (2009) (pre-production) (attached)
    2. Men (2008) (pre-production) (rumored)
    3. Selling Time (2007) (pre-production) (rumored)
    4. Rubicon (2008) (filming) .... Col. Claus von Stauffenberg
    5. Lions for Lambs (2007) (post-production) .... Senator Jasper Irving
    6. Mission: Impossible III (2006) .... Ethan Hunt
      ... aka M:i:III (International: English title: promotional abbreviation) (UK: promotional abbreviation) (USA: promotional abbreviation)
      ... aka Mission: Impossible III (Germany)
    7. War of the Worlds (2005) .... Ray Ferrier
    8. Collateral (2004) .... Vincent
    9. The Last Samurai (2003) .... Nathan Algren
      ... aka The Last Samurai: Bushidou (USA: poster title)
    10. Austin Powers in Goldmember (2002) .... Tom Cruise as Austin Powers
      ... aka Austin Powers: Goldmember (USA)
    11. Minority Report (2002) .... Chief John Anderton
    12. Vanilla Sky (2001) .... David Aames
    13. Mission: Impossible II (2000) .... Ethan Hunt
      ... aka M:I-2 (USA: DVD box title (promotional abbreviation))
      ... aka Mission: Impossible II (Germany)
    14. Magnolia (1999) .... Frank T.J. Mackey
      ... aka mag-no'li-a (USA: promotional title)
    15. Eyes Wide Shut (1999) .... Dr. William 'Bill' Harford
      ... aka EWS (USA: promotional abbreviation)
    16. "3rd Rock from the Sun" .... Guy on Couch (1 episode, 1998)
      ... aka 3rd Rock (USA: promotional abbreviation)
      ... aka Life As We Know It
      - Dick and the Other Guy (1998) TV Episode .... Guy on Couch
    17. Jerry Maguire (1996) .... Jerry Maguire
    18. Mission: Impossible (1996) .... Ethan Hunt
      ... aka Mission Impossible
    19. Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles (1994) .... Lestat de Lioncourt
      ... aka Interview with the Vampire (USA: short title)
    20. The Firm (1993) .... Mitch McDeere
    21. A Few Good Men (1992) .... Lt. Daniel Kaffee
    22. Far and Away (1992) .... Joseph Donnelly
    23. Days of Thunder (1990) .... Cole Trickle
    24. Born on the Fourth of July (1989) .... Ron Kovic
    25. Rain Man (1988) .... Charlie Babbitt
    26. Young Guns (1988) (uncredited) .... Cowboy
    27. Cocktail (1988) .... Brian Flanagan
    28. The Color of Money (1986) .... Vincent Lauria
    29. Top Gun (1986) .... Maverick
    30. Legend (1985) .... Jack
      ... aka Legend: Ultimate Edition (USA: reissue title (video title))
    31. All the Right Moves (1983) .... Stefen Djordjevic
      ... aka All Right
    32. Risky Business (1983) .... Joel Goodsen
    33. Losin' It (1983) .... Woody
    34. The Outsiders (1983) .... Steve Randle
      ... aka The Outsiders - The Complete Novel (USA: director's cut)
    35. Taps (1981) .... Cadet Captain David Shawn
      ... aka The Siege at Bunker Hill: T.A.P.S (UK: TV title)
    36. Endless Love (1981) .... Billy
  • Apparently the scene depicted is from his last day so I guess that explains why his decorations have been stripped from him.

I don't think so, Mike. It shows him carrying a briefcase, probably the one Stauffenberg used to carry the bomb into the briefing room at Wolfschanze. So I imagine the scene shown is just after he had debarked from the plane at Wolfschanze and before he even went into the briefing room.

He had already made it back to Berlin before he was arrested for the assassination attempt so I doubt he would have been carrying a briefcase. Not only that but they didn't waste any time shooting him once he was arrested so I doubt his decorations were removed before he was executed. Like I said though, probably not one person in a million will know, or care about, such details.

I had forgotten about "The Firm". I liked it considerably more than "Taps". Many of the films that were named I have never seen though.

De gustibus non est disputandum